5.0 out of 5 stars There isn't a bad song on here

3.0 out of 5 stars For fans only
Published on January 2, 2013 by Kevin M Jurewicz

5.0 out of 5 stars There isn't a bad song on here, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Atlas (MP3 Music)
As the title says, there just isn't a bad song on this album. These guys have been progressing as a band without straying too far from their overall style. I disagree with another reviewer who implied this was akin to the Metallica Black Album. Parkway in no way strayed that far from their original style with this album. If anything, I think it is much closer to Horizons than Deep Blue. I agree with another reviewer who said the last song "Blue and the Grey" is an epic masterpiece that rivals/passes Horizons. I wish Parkway Drive would put out an album full of "last songs" on their albums because it seems they closeout each album with a 5-6 minute masterpiece. Anyways, this album is a no brainer for Parkway Drive fans, and I would highly suggest it as a starting place for anyone new to the genre as well. In my opinion, where Killing with a Smile and Deep Blue are 4/5 stars, this album, along with Horizons, is a 5 star album and their best work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal!, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
"Fantastic" comes to mind when I think of "Atlas". I had been anticipating this record for a long time. I've listened to Parkway Drive for a couple of years and have loved them ever since I first heard them. I've liked all of their albums. Their sound has changed gradually over the years, but not in any way bad. It's been a refining change, defining who they are, and I think it's great. "Atlas" isn't like "Killing With a Smile", it isn't like "Horizons", and it isn't even quite like "Deep Blue" (for all who have listened to their previous records). There are fast songs, and there are slow songs, but all are heavy like Parkway Drive songs have always been. Winston McCall's screams are better than ever, and the drum and guitar work is great as always. On "Atlas" there are a lot more acoustic/clean guitar sections, and even some orchestrated sections. I think it all ties the moral of the album together.

There are few CDs out there that I can buy, put in, and love right away and listen to over and over again--this was one of them. I put the CD in and really just started smiling because I liked it so much. It starts off much like how "Horizons" and "Deep Blue" started off, with an acoustic part, sort of an introduction to the album. And then it goes in with a bang--a really fast song. The fast songs are distributed evenly throughout the record and intermixed with songs that I might call metal-ballads: they are a little slower, but not boringly slow, and heavy. They're the kind of songs I think are too far and few in the metal genre. Parkway Drive has filled that void.

Any fan of Parkway Drive won't be disappointed with "Atlas", and anyone who has just heard about them, and enjoys hardcore/metal, will like this album. I highly recommend it. It is superbly done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., November 6, 2012
This review is from: Atlas (MP3 Music)
This album took me a couple times through before I really enjoyed it. At first, it seemed like any other metalcore album with some "extras" added in (trumpets, orchestra, DJ scratching, etc.). Nothing really "stuck" with me, unlike their previous albums like Killing with a Smile and Horizons. Songs like Frostbite and Idols and Anchors stuck with me after and I was replaying them in my head all day. It wasn't so with this album...at first. However, I sat down and listened to it and appreciated the details. This is a phenomenal album. Blue and the Grey might be my favorite song by Parkway Drive, or by any metalcore band. At first the trumpet sounded "out of tune" and just misplaced. But for whatever reason, the song clicked for me. I absolutely love it. If you don't enjoy the album or any other song, at least listen to and appreciate Blue and the Grey for what it is. It blends trumpet, guitars, deep vocals, pounding drums, together perfectly. The last "third" of the song when the trumpet starts to the end, might be my favorite section of music I've heard in a long time. Do yourself a favor, and the band, and buy this album. It will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Evolution of a Fantastic band, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
INcessant personal recollection of how I hot into Parkway Drive incoming, if you want just the review, skip below where I Break down each song. Parkway Drive has been an instant classic in my collection. I acquired Horizons a couple years back and quickly scrambled to get Deep Blue and Killing With a Smile. I am a fan on Metalcore, but I hate how stagnant the majority (not all, some do it well) of the bands become. This band seemed to evolve consistently throughout their career. Each album grows a little more than the one that preceded it, but each are great albums.

I was curious where they would go after Deep Blue, a narrative about a character who realizes the truth behind society and the real intent of an oppressive world and gets taken into the ocean via the undertow to meditate on his thoughts, turning to anger and rising from the water to destroy what he once called home. Atlas is a step in a different, but very welcomed direction. There are some songs that are softer and more melodic, but in no means have they abandoned the heaviness and aggression they have achieved in their sound.

THE REVIEW:

1) Sparks (10/10)- An amazing intro that sets the tone for the entire album both lyrically and musically. To describe it in one word: "Epic" The music fades in with soft and ethereal sounds and acoustic guitar, then flows into a spoken word poem that guides the music into an awesome crescendo and ending with heavy crunches to introduce you to the next Track.

2) Old Ghosts/New Regrets (9/10) - Classic hardcore song. Totally brutal from beginning to end. I'll be saying this a bunch, but the lyrics are much more personal in this album and this song really shakes the foundation with both lyrics and music. If I'm not mistaken, Keith Buckley (of Every Time I die) screams alongside Winston that is just crushing.

3) Dream Run (9/10) - Ben (drummer) really has one of the cleanest double kick rhythms that just flow so well, and thats what shines the most on this track. This is by no means a bad song, but compared to some of the other tracks on this record, this one isn't quite on "that" level.

4) Wild Eyes (10/10) - This song's opening has a lone guitar playing a slick riff and gang chorus vocals harmonize fade in right before the rest of the band comes in. Then it fades into a roller coaster that keeps bringing around that riff from the opening alongside the gang vocals, a structure they like to use and execute greatly.

5) Dark Days (10/10) - This song was the first single they released before the album came out. This one had me extremely excited to hear the remainder of the album. It starts out almost misleading, it just doesn't let up and Ben (drummer) sticks to his lightning quick feet to pull off some amazing build ups throughout the entire song. Winston has really outdone himself on the lyrics on this album and this song is a perfect example of that. Winston screams "DROP IT!" a midst an already brutal beat and the music shifts to an even more brutal beat to end the song... classic

6) The River (10/10) - This song opens with ethereal female vocals and features clean guitar as well. Not that it's never been utilized, but it's an awesome change of pace with these guys. Then the rhythm picks up and sounds reminiscent of "Five Months" from Horizons. Then the music slows it down again with an amazing back and forth between Winston and the female singer. Then the music plays out with both Winston and the female vocalist singing/screaming over wailing wah pedal infused guitar riffs and a crunchy rhythm section. You think they've gone soft? Just wait until track 7...

7) Swing (10/10) - This song is just holy s--t amazing. It is incredibly brutal from the first second to the explosive end. I can't wait to hear this one in concert, sure to be a mosh pleaser. This song has the most wicked drum parts that starts about 2 minutes in and just continues to amaze through the last second of the song. The guitars remain busy to blend in perfectly with the earthquake inducing drumming throughout. Winston screams "END IT!" at the end (duh) and, oh boy they do with a gnarly note and the guttural screaming.

8) The Slow Surrender (7.5/10) - This song opens with a guitar/bass riff that reminds me of Nirvana's Lithium. Not that it's a bad one, just not up to the benchmark these guys have created for themselves. In my opinion it kind of drags at the beginning and picks up after the first verse, but then drops the ball after a breakdown where the music is soft and there is a DJ scratch sample of winston's line "The Devil Dances in Idle Minds"... I absolutely hate it. I have tried to like it, I really did, but I don't. Doesn't ruin the song, but this is the weakest link in a near perfect chain of an album. I skip it sometimes :/

9) Atlas (11/10) - Even though I listen to mostly metalcore and heavy music, I absolutely love classical instruments and classical music, so I was stoked when this song decided to utilize some. This song opens up with Pink Floyd-esque open chord strum with what sounds like maybe chorus and reverb with clean settings. Then it picks up into a mid tempo jam that has violins, clean and distorted guitars ringing over the drums melodic beat and then crescendos into an amazing epic that really is just beyond words. I implore any person who wanted this song to be heavy and to discard it for the fact that it isn't "brutal" to really give it a chance. This song has some truly beautiful moments that made me completely floored once I realized the scope these guys had for the album.

10) Sleight of Hand (10/10) - After a mid tempo epic, this song fades in slowly with an amp fuzz going with a held out note and then dives into another clean double kick treat that grooves into the verse, which on top of the clean musical transitions has Winston bringing his signature honest and brutal lyrics and delivery. A great song to welcome you into the conclusion of this musical journey.

11) Snake Oil and Holy Water (10/10) - This song opens with a brutal guttural sounds of Winston with the band coming in almost immediately and with vengeance. Winston keeps the lyrics brutal and honest (he seems to do that) and the band keeps the train barreling through the last moment of this song. Short and amazingly sweet track.

12) The Blue and The Grey (14/10) - "Horizons" was (keyword WAS) my favorite closing to an album Parkway had ever done, closing with an epic song that pushes the 6 minute mark. Not a record breaker, but certainly lengthy for the style of music. This song is another one that is beyond words at how amazing it is. From the structure to the riffs to the lyrical quality and lyrical delivery. In a nutshell, this song is one that really made me stop what I was doing and demanded my attention. It starts with what sounds like a trumpet holding out an odd note and just eases you in with acoustic guitars and more amazingly personal and deep lyrics. Winston delivers probably the greatest lyrical delivery in this song over any other song. I say this because it sounds like he is really at war with himself and tormented, especially when describing looking at his reflection in the water. SICKEST. CLOSER. EVER.

That's my winded review, it honestly could've been a ten page essay, but I decided to scale it back. In other words, if you have a fleeting interest in heavy music and/or this band, this is the album to listen to. All I can say is that I am so damn proud that these guys can deliver such an amazing album after putting out fantastic albums previously. Rarely does a band in any genre (although I can't REALLY classify Parkway) deliver consistent musicianship and quality like the Aussies. Bravo guys

3.0 out of 5 stars For fans only, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Atlas (MP3 Music)
I was all set to crush this album after a first listen through, but after subsequent runs through I have to say this is a solid album. Start to finish was one of the better albums I'd heard recently...but it wasn't memorable. As a fan of their earlier work and Killing With A Smile is one of my favorite albums, Atlas just didnt have that same throat punch of guitar work as on previous efforts. Every song on Atlas is good, no weak points, but at the same time none of them had me starting the album over or ticking back tracks to rehear a song. When the album was over I just put on Horizons. If you are a Parkway Drive fan you'll probably want to pick this up, but you may find yourself in the same position I was, not blown away and wanting a little more throttle to your songwriting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new tier, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
A true masterpiece, they found a unique and refined sound without losing the edge their earlier albums had, The lyrics are meaningful and strong just as expected. If you could only own one album from the genre, this one would have to be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
a band i just found that i approve and a must get album
also i will collect all their albums that i can find
get this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Another insanely awesome album!, March 31, 2014
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
Parkway Drive is a band I feel can do no wrong. Every song on this album is brilliant in my opinion and I could listen to it over and over again without tiring any track. "Swing" is an intensely amazing track that gets my blood pumping and ready to mosh every time I hear it! If you're looking for some music to get you pumped up to run or workout, this is the band to listen to. These guys are my all time favorite and I think one of the best out there. This is a buy more than worth the money and I can't wait for their next album. No doubt it will be another flawless masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own for Parkway Drive fans, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Atlas (Audio CD)
If you like Parkway and own their other cds, get it. Has a feel that is similar to Deep Blue, but as far as I could tell was not a concept album - that meaning that I didn't find a story that was woven between songs. It was a more traditionally cut album that contained a bunch of awesome, similarly designed tracks. For those who are new to Parkway, and like metal music it was well done. Very heavy and dark, but Winston's vocals and lyrics are accompanied by the music in expert fashion. You really feel every song

5.0 out of 5 stars PARKWAY..... ATLAS, December 31, 2013
EVERY ALBUM FROM PARKWAY IS JUST A BRUTIAL PUNISHMENT IN METAL AS YOU'VE EVER KNOWN IT !!!
THIS ALBUM IS MORE POLISHED, YET WITHOUT A SINGLE LET DOWN IN MY EYES...
IF YOU EVER HAVE ANY SINGLE DOUBT ABOUT EM'.... GO SEE EM' LIVE
JUST CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT PARKWAY, DON'T CARE FOR MANY 'NEW METAL BANDS"
BUT THEY HAVE SET THE STANDARD AND IT'S BEYOND WHAT ANY OTHER BAND HAS COME CLOSE TO !!!

Atlas