4.0 out of 5 stars 2 greats and 1 skinflick, October 2, 2003
Scott Jeune (kerhonkson, ny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Atomic Brain/Love After Death/The Incredible Petrified World (Special Edition) (DVD)
Okay, I'll assume that if you're here you already know somewhat of what you're in for. These are two Chiller Theatre reguars (perhaps I'll take this as an apology for what went on with the K. Gordon Murray collection...I want my Brainiac!) with an extremely oddball 1968 latin skinflick thrown in, which is actually a grade lower than "Curious Dr. Humph". Alpha offers 2 of these films but you know you're getting more bang for your buck here, no offense Alpha. With "Monstrosity" 3 girls are used as pawns by a body seeking crone and the doctor who is assisting her. Everything but the kitchen sink is in here, not bad for a flick that takes place in 4 rooms of a mansion. Atmosphere, bad acting and general insanity abound. The Spanish maid gets a cat brain and winds up on the roof just above the dogman - and here I thought we would have a good fight. Well, whatever... Mix the special effects of Hypnotic Eye with the good time cheese of Spider Baby, and this is what bubbles out. Next up we have "Love After Death", what looks to me to be a South American skinflick from 1968. Best special effect is the drag queen. Oh, and check out the miscasting of the dead guy's wife. Her, a virgin? Yeh; she's as pure as the driven snow... after it's been driven over a couple hundred times. Seems that her impotent man turns into a dynamo after he's buried- this guy rises from the grave in more ways than one!! But anyay, it looks like it was filmed in New Jersey for six bucks (check out the castle and you'll see what I mean. Can't find a castle, borrow a museum... (see Unhinged for more on that one. Nice little shock ending there, and actually was a fun little time spender. On to "Incredible Petrified World" another Chiller Theatre classic- just scanned through it as I have VHS from Sinister Cinema and have seen it a billion times. All I have to say is: see it for the lava. Pour whiskey on a cowpat and light, I guess...Gotta love this film. Also included are a slew of trailers and some great new music from Something Weird favorites The Dead Elvi. (If anyone reads this who can do something about it, how about an album or two on this website, it'd be much appreciated).

4.0 out of 5 stars The movie Corman would have made if he was a homeless guy!, June 30, 2012
This is the movie Roger Corman would have made if he was a homeless guy. Hilariously awful with many "so bad it's good" moments... but the MST3K version is even better - check that one out first.

BTW, as always, Tex is reviewing the MOVIE, not the DISK... haven't seen the other one but it looks suitably awful also! (I mean, of course, awful in the best way!)

Rate and Discover Movies