5.0 out of 5 stars Bought my can of Sno-Seal 10 years ago...
Published on August 23, 2010 by B. Hartshorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Good protection but visible
The wax is a really god protection against snow but unfortunatelly it is visible on my brown boots. And it is not to easy to apply it on the boots. But all in all it is not a bad product.
Published 8 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought my can of Sno-Seal 10 years ago..., August 23, 2010
I bought my first can of Sno-Seal about 10 years ago for my work boots; and I'm still using the same can. The whole reason I'm writing this review is that I was looking on the internet for another can because I ran out and the store I bought some from went out of business. But, I found some on Amazon (figures). This is the best stuff I've ever used, period. Not only does it waterproof your boots it will make them last a long time. I've tried other protectants, both spray-on and rub on, but Sno-seal is the best. Every pair of work boots I've used it on, the soles wear out looong before the leather does and that's because I put Sno-Seal on them once a year. I highly recommend heating your boots up first (I usually put mine in the oven on 150 for 10 minutes or so) then apply the protectant. Best 5 bucks you will ever spend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely A Great Product!, January 20, 2008
I own a small lawn & landscaping business and live way out in the country. I'm always getting my boots wet around work and I'm messing around out in the woods when not at work in very wet areas. I battle wet boots & socks all the time. But, if you apply this right the problem is solved. It is way better then any boot oils & silicon sprays I've ever tried.

NOTE: It will make your leather darker in most cases but that is no problem for me at all. I'll take the darker color for dryer feet and boot protection like nothing else I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest to goodness stuff that works, November 29, 2011
It's been nearly 30 years since we used this stuff in high school for our wilderness hikes in Yosemite during Feb/March, as part of the Yosemite Institute. Miles of snow on the ground and unmarked trails. I just bought this to rejuvenate a very old pair of Doc Martins, and the smell of it brings back memories/feelings of time spent applying the Sno-Seal to boots roughened by long treks in snow and ice. Now my daughter is getting ready for her first adventure with the Yosemite Institute. We used to make such a big deal about making sure that we applied the Sno-Seal before each hike, "it could save your life" as we would say. Now-a-days thanks to Gortex and other space-age materials there is little, if any, mention of Sno-Seal during our winter gear orientations. I researched winter hiking boots for my daughter and was very impressed with the advances from then to now. However, when you read the reviews of these modern boots and hear the scattered tales of the poor individuals that experienced leaky seams and wet feet in sub-zero temps.....I can't help to think, a little Sno-Seal along those seams and stitches would have prevented all that misery.

I'm going to teach my daughter how to apply Sno-Seal before she works on breaking in these new state-of-the-art / Gortex-lined boots. Then I'm going to have a little talk to her instructors about equipment. Then I'm going to make sure that she takes this container of Sno-Seal with her to Yosemite, and maybe she'll spread the knowledge.

Back in my day, our boots were simply made of broken-in leather with properly applied Sno-Seal. Use a hair-drier to work the Sno-Seal into the seams and stitches. Gortex is great, but you know, stuff happens. It could be the difference between cold and miserable or dry and comfortable. Or as we used to say, "it could save your life."

5.0 out of 5 stars Save your shoes, March 4, 2009
Linda Kelso (Rogers Park Chicago) - See all my reviews
This product does exactly what it says it will do...protect your expensive leather shoes/boots from the deleterious effects of snow/salt/water. Easy to use. It really does make shoes leak proof. I highly recommend this product for any shoes/boots you are going to wear in inclement weather. (Caveat: it is not for all leathers. It will darken leather so use with caution on any colour lighter than dark brown.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for workboots!, October 26, 2012
I noticed in one of the earlier reviews somebody else said that this was "too thick" for street shoes... for those who are urban warriors, don't despair. This product does indeed work extremely well on dressy shoes, and it doesn't make said dressy shoes look weird. I used it on a pair of black Ecco sneakers and also Ecco walking boots, and it's been great. I live in Portland, OR, so it's not particularly snowy here most of the time, but, well, it rains.

Applying this product will take about 24 hours in total, just because it's good to let the shoes rest for a while after application so that everything can sink in. I also recommend buying Kiwi's shoe shine kit if you don't already have a shining kit on hand; it's what takes this product and makes it applicable for the city. I did the oven trick - the lowest my oven goes is 170 F, so I preheated it, and then let it cool for about 5 minutes before popping the shoes in the oven to let the leather get nice and warm.

I applied the product with my bare hands so I could make sure to get it into every nook and cranny on the shoes. Make sure to get it around the eyelet holes for shoelaces as well as along the seams. Then I popped the first shoe back in the warm oven while applying product to the second one. Pulled the first one out of the oven when I finished with the second one and added another coat. I have to admit I think I used more of the product than a lot of other reviewers had - I just kept on letting it soak in and heat and soak in until it was obvious that the shoe wasn't going to absorb any more - and then I took them out of the oven and let them cool.

There were a couple of seams where I had added too much - to avoid a "scaly" look I used a hairdryer to heat the overloaded seams up and just wiped the excess away. Let it cool again. Zero problems. Once that was done I hit the shoes with a shoe shine, and then had them sit undisturbed overnight just to give everything time to set.

This product has turned my leather walking shoes into fierce pieces of rain armor. Now, granted, I haven't been sloshing through deep puddles with them or anything, but insofar as walking down the street in shoes during a rain, the water just beads off and my feet stay snuggly dry. I have also been sloshing around in wet grass at my friend's farm while wearing the proofed boots and everything's been snug as a bug in a rug. This is a fantastic product, considering how well it works and how cheap it is. I would recommend just adding more and more until your shoes can't take it - I mean, it's cheap enough, you can afford to be liberal with it.

Additionally, this product does leather repair as well. My lace-up Eccos I've had for a couple of years and there were worn areas around the toes; an application of this followed by the shoe shine and they look fresh and rehydrated. All of my leather shoes are black, so I can't speak on any color-change, but if you have lighter leathers you may want to be more careful. Also, this won't work on nubuck or suede or patent leathers, since those surfaces can't really absorb the product. Also also, after application your shoes will be slightly sticky to the touch... but the shoe shine solves the stickiness. All and all, this product is just as much at home in the city as it is out on the snowy slopes and it's an excellent buy for the right kind of shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best boot sealant out there, October 7, 2012
I've worked outside most of my life on farms, ranches and in the oil field. During this time I've tried just about every leather sealing product on the market and none of them are half as good as Sno Seal. Don't waste your money on anything else, just buy this stuff and be done with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 95% 5-star ratings.............'nuff said!, November 10, 2012
Like most, I do a lot of research before I purchase most things. Since I had little experience with "waterproofers", I narrowed it down to sno-seal mainly because I have mild asthma and heavy chemical smells sometimes cause me to have asthma attacks. Many spray-on waterproofers contain heavy chemical smells, but not sno-seal wax. I had seen that the huge majority use it for sealing leather items. Personally, I wanted to try to seal my Real Deal Canvas Hat . I wasn't sure how it would work on canvas, but I figured I would give it a try. It worked so well that I sealed all four of my hats, 2 pairs of shoes, and 3 leather axe head & hatchet head covers. It does darken the leather some, but only darkens the canvas slightly. I tested the hats by running them under the sink sprayer. The water slid right off in sheets, and only left a few micro-beads which was easily shaken off. My hat was completely dry!!! With the canvas, I used a reverse process. I applied the wax to the hats cool surface in one complete coat, worked it in with my fingers and paid extra attention to all seams, then used a blow-dryer to heat the wax so it would soak into the canvas fabric. Once I was done, there was no waxy or gummy feel at all, it was PERFECT! I would definitely buy this product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for protecting leather, February 26, 2009
Used on everything I own made of leather: Checkbook holder, Kinco 901 gloves, waist belts, shoes, boots, etc. I like that dark old leather look.

Pros: Simple to apply and treat leather. Weathers well.

Cons: Strong odor when applying. Can be messy to apply as wax melts.

Thoughts: Be sure to apply in well-ventilated area. Newly treated leather will be sticky / waxy when dry. Re-apply every season or as needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for Suede, February 28, 2012
I don't know enough about this product but I wish some of the reviewers mentioned that you can't use this on Suede. I bought it for my 2 dessert boots but I guess I can always use it for my other shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars water seal for boots, January 7, 2014
It is some of the best water seal I have found I work in Alaska's oil field and it wet most of the time in the spring and fall . Snow seal helps keep my feet dry keeps water from soaking in to my boots . Thanx for a great product

Atsko Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing 7-Ounce