Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Atsko Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing 7-Ounce
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 7-Ounce|Style Name: Single Pack|Change

on August 23, 2010
I bought my first can of Sno-Seal about 10 years ago for my work boots; and I'm still using the same can. The whole reason I'm writing this review is that I was looking on the internet for another can because I ran out and the store I bought some from went out of business. But, I found some on Amazon (figures). This is the best stuff I've ever used, period. Not only does it waterproof your boots it will make them last a long time. I've tried other protectants, both spray-on and rub on, but Sno-seal is the best. Every pair of work boots I've used it on, the soles wear out looong before the leather does and that's because I put Sno-Seal on them once a year. I highly recommend heating your boots up first (I usually put mine in the oven on 150 for 10 minutes or so) then apply the protectant. Best 5 bucks you will ever spend.
1717 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2008
I own a small lawn & landscaping business and live way out in the country. I'm always getting my boots wet around work and I'm messing around out in the woods when not at work in very wet areas. I battle wet boots & socks all the time. But, if you apply this right the problem is solved. It is way better then any boot oils & silicon sprays I've ever tried.

NOTE: It will make your leather darker in most cases but that is no problem for me at all. I'll take the darker color for dryer feet and boot protection like nothing else I've used.
33 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2015
Just LATHERED this stuff on a new pair of Thoroughgood work boots using a blow dryer to warm them. Posting this picture to give you an idea of the color change (darker pair on left after one coat of wax). Im confident that this will prevent paint and tar from seeping into the leather, so that I can clean off these types of staining materials off.
review image
on October 26, 2012
I noticed in one of the earlier reviews somebody else said that this was "too thick" for street shoes... for those who are urban warriors, don't despair. This product does indeed work extremely well on dressy shoes, and it doesn't make said dressy shoes look weird. I used it on a pair of black Ecco sneakers and also Ecco walking boots, and it's been great. I live in Portland, OR, so it's not particularly snowy here most of the time, but, well, it rains.

Applying this product will take about 24 hours in total, just because it's good to let the shoes rest for a while after application so that everything can sink in. I also recommend buying Kiwi's shoe shine kit if you don't already have a shining kit on hand; it's what takes this product and makes it applicable for the city. I did the oven trick - the lowest my oven goes is 170 F, so I preheated it, and then let it cool for about 5 minutes before popping the shoes in the oven to let the leather get nice and warm.

I applied the product with my bare hands so I could make sure to get it into every nook and cranny on the shoes. Make sure to get it around the eyelet holes for shoelaces as well as along the seams. Then I popped the first shoe back in the warm oven while applying product to the second one. Pulled the first one out of the oven when I finished with the second one and added another coat. I have to admit I think I used more of the product than a lot of other reviewers had - I just kept on letting it soak in and heat and soak in until it was obvious that the shoe wasn't going to absorb any more - and then I took them out of the oven and let them cool.

There were a couple of seams where I had added too much - to avoid a "scaly" look I used a hairdryer to heat the overloaded seams up and just wiped the excess away. Let it cool again. Zero problems. Once that was done I hit the shoes with a shoe shine, and then had them sit undisturbed overnight just to give everything time to set.

This product has turned my leather walking shoes into fierce pieces of rain armor. Now, granted, I haven't been sloshing through deep puddles with them or anything, but insofar as walking down the street in shoes during a rain, the water just beads off and my feet stay snuggly dry. I have also been sloshing around in wet grass at my friend's farm while wearing the proofed boots and everything's been snug as a bug in a rug. This is a fantastic product, considering how well it works and how cheap it is. I would recommend just adding more and more until your shoes can't take it - I mean, it's cheap enough, you can afford to be liberal with it.

Additionally, this product does leather repair as well. My lace-up Eccos I've had for a couple of years and there were worn areas around the toes; an application of this followed by the shoe shine and they look fresh and rehydrated. All of my leather shoes are black, so I can't speak on any color-change, but if you have lighter leathers you may want to be more careful. Also, this won't work on nubuck or suede or patent leathers, since those surfaces can't really absorb the product. Also also, after application your shoes will be slightly sticky to the touch... but the shoe shine solves the stickiness. All and all, this product is just as much at home in the city as it is out on the snowy slopes and it's an excellent buy for the right kind of shoes.
33 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2012
I've been working with horses for nearly twenty years now, so I have cleaned and oiled my fair share of leather products. I found this product to be easy to use and pretty straightforward -- it's a bit goopy, but you can tell that it's supposed to be, and it rubs in very well. I highly recommend making sure you rub the product in and then remove excess to avoid residue build-up. My boots and handbag look refreshed and I feel that they're protected from the Minnesotan elements.
review image
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2011
It's been nearly 30 years since we used this stuff in high school for our wilderness hikes in Yosemite during Feb/March, as part of the Yosemite Institute. Miles of snow on the ground and unmarked trails. I just bought this to rejuvenate a very old pair of Doc Martins, and the smell of it brings back memories/feelings of time spent applying the Sno-Seal to boots roughened by long treks in snow and ice. Now my daughter is getting ready for her first adventure with the Yosemite Institute. We used to make such a big deal about making sure that we applied the Sno-Seal before each hike, "it could save your life" as we would say. Now-a-days thanks to Gortex and other space-age materials there is little, if any, mention of Sno-Seal during our winter gear orientations. I researched winter hiking boots for my daughter and was very impressed with the advances from then to now. However, when you read the reviews of these modern boots and hear the scattered tales of the poor individuals that experienced leaky seams and wet feet in sub-zero temps.....I can't help to think, a little Sno-Seal along those seams and stitches would have prevented all that misery.

I'm going to teach my daughter how to apply Sno-Seal before she works on breaking in these new state-of-the-art / Gortex-lined boots. Then I'm going to have a little talk to her instructors about equipment. Then I'm going to make sure that she takes this container of Sno-Seal with her to Yosemite, and maybe she'll spread the knowledge.

Back in my day, our boots were simply made of broken-in leather with properly applied Sno-Seal. Use a hair-drier to work the Sno-Seal into the seams and stitches. Gortex is great, but you know, stuff happens. It could be the difference between cold and miserable or dry and comfortable. Or as we used to say, "it could save your life."
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2015
I just purchased a new pair of duty boots and decided to treat them with sno seal. So far so good but we will see how effective this is on my boots a year from now.

Application was fairly simple. On the can it says you can use a Peet dryer on the boot before application but I found that it did not heat the boot enough to apply the sno seal quickly. I decided to use a heat gun on low and it worked perfect.

The can also stated to use a rag to apply but I found it much easier to apply it with my fingers and lather it onto the boot. It also was easier to get the sno seal in the small crevices of the boot.

At first I think I applied waaay too much because my black boot ended up looking like I left butter all over them so I just went over it with the heat gun and it quickly was absorbed by the leather.

The total application took me about 45 minutes per boot which I guess wasn't too bad.

Now for the field test. My boots go through just about everything, water, mud, dirt, brush, rocks, you name it and so far the sno seal has held up fairly well. I did notice after applying the sno seal that my boots attract more dirt and dust but this isn't much of a problem since I spray my boots off with water at the end of my shifts. After the spray, they are back to looking new again.

So far, great product but I will be updating my review on this product as my boot wears on.
review image review image
on December 2, 2015
This stuff is awesome! I love how it darkened my boots and they were pretty dried out and stiff but they feel better than when they were brand new now. I rubbed it on making sure to get it into all the seams & what not then used my wife's hair dryer to get it soaked into the leather real good. After they cooled off I wiped off any excess and their good to go! I don't think the product stinks at all either.
review image review image
on December 17, 2015
I used this stuff 25 years ago when I lived in the Pacific NW and did a ton of hiking and biking in the rain. It kept my feet dry after days of constant wetness.

I recently bought another can to treat the underside of my Brooks bike saddle. I've since treated a couple of pairs of boots and a Leatherman case. It works great for water proofing but will darken the leather in the process. It's very thick and applies better when the product and leather t's applied to are warm. Put it on thin and wipe off excess after letting it soak in overnight. It lasts a long time.

Here's a tip for applying. Use a sandwich bag over your hand or wear latex gloves to smear it on. If you use your bare hands you will have a hell of a time washing it off your fingers. If you use a cotton rag too much product will soak into the rag and be wasted.

This can could probably treat 50 pairs of boots and I suspect I will have it until I lose it or die.
on November 10, 2012
Like most, I do a lot of research before I purchase most things. Since I had little experience with "waterproofers", I narrowed it down to sno-seal mainly because I have mild asthma and heavy chemical smells sometimes cause me to have asthma attacks. Many spray-on waterproofers contain heavy chemical smells, but not sno-seal wax. I had seen that the huge majority use it for sealing leather items. Personally, I wanted to try to seal my Real Deal Canvas Hat . I wasn't sure how it would work on canvas, but I figured I would give it a try. It worked so well that I sealed all four of my hats, 2 pairs of shoes, and 3 leather axe head & hatchet head covers. It does darken the leather some, but only darkens the canvas slightly. I tested the hats by running them under the sink sprayer. The water slid right off in sheets, and only left a few micro-beads which was easily shaken off. My hat was completely dry!!! With the canvas, I used a reverse process. I applied the wax to the hats cool surface in one complete coat, worked it in with my fingers and paid extra attention to all seams, then used a blow-dryer to heat the wax so it would soak into the canvas fabric. Once I was done, there was no waxy or gummy feel at all, it was PERFECT! I would definitely buy this product again.