5.0 out of 5 stars Airport Moments
Published on April 15, 2011 by Anna Chan

3.0 out of 5 stars Elicits mixed emotions and thoughts
I am very mixed about this book. Overall, I enjoyed it. The pace was mostly very well down, the writing was clear and the story was entertaining. Yet it has some negatives as well that kept me from fully ever being engaged with the novel.

Published 6 months ago by Jamie E.

5.0 out of 5 stars Airport Moments, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
When I arrived today at the airport for a flight to Chicago, I was secretly happy that the weather was so awful. I have to admit that I have never in my life ever thought this....and I have flown over 700k miles on United alone. But happy I was. Because it was going to give me more time with Attachments. I started reading. The first delay was announced. I smiled and kept reading. The second delay was announced I was relieved. I needed to know more about Lincoln. I needed to read more of Beth's fabulous one-liners. (How does one know when one's cervix is ripe? Do you thump it?...HA!). They announced boarding....and I thought.... Maybe we will be further delayed....hopefully..... They announced another delay....this time indefinite! I quietly rejoiced. I was the only one of hundreds of Chicago bound passengers smiling as I sank deeper and deeper into Lincoln, Beth and Jennifer....hoping to just continue living in their world.....6 hours of delays later.....it was the best flight experience I have had....ever. Because Attachments is everything I want in a book....wonderful characters who I fall in love with and cheer for and care for. Raibow, Thanks for a wonderful flight. If you couldn't tell - I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit @ Its Best, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
I don't do book reviews but I fell in love with Attachments and didn't want it to end. Chick lit can be a shabby genre, with some slapped together stories and badly written characters. This book is what the genre could be, if publishers looked for authors who wrote from the heart and had an authentic voice. The characters are funny and interesting, but most importantly there's a sweetness in them and in the story itself that I haven't found in a long time. The best thing I can compare it to is Bridget Jones, which is the highest chick lit compliment. Just like Bridget captures a certain Brit tone, Attachments nails a Midwestern attitude that's as familiar as it is surprising. All I can say is read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, affectionate, gracious and hopeful, April 23, 2011
Whit (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Full disclosure: Rainbow is my friend. But I'll tell you what: If her book was lame, I would just not write a review? Because telling someone to read something that blows is mean to EVERYBODY. You would be all up in her grill. And write mean reviews right here.

But Attachments really IS is gentle, joshing, sweet and hopeful. Rowell puts her funny in the mouths of her well-drawn characters, likable types that you'd be pleased to meet and that you're happy to eavesdrop on. Her late-90s newsroom is familiar to me, because I knew lots of people in the newsroom that inspired her. She captures it delightfully, with attention to workplace detail and local feeling. She cradles her story in the crook of her elbow, and makes it seem easy to craft a narrative that is long on kind insights into good people.

No villain emerges. (Not even some real doofuses whom she pricks but declines to skewer.) Her cast of characters is making the best that they can of all of the day, not just its remains. You'll find yourself happy at their advances and sure their reverses will not last.

If there's a criticism, that's the one. Tension is limited and the sense that truth will out and love will conquer is never far from the surface of the page. It's a bit like Shakespearean comedy, where you know from the first moment that the strapping cast swaggers and sashays on that everything will be OK, at least eventually. There's no moment when we think the root will snap and a hero will plummet to a sad end. The safety harness is visible in every chapter.

I'll not be dissuaded from congratulating our author, all the same. She has found a charming voice with which to enter publishing. Her characters all fairly blink with delight to enter the sunshine and we're lucky to be near them, if only for a moment. I found dozens of smart quips, deft sentences, and natural progress for the story's subjects. I wanted good to triumph and love to conquer. I have no higher praise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elicits mixed emotions and thoughts, August 29, 2014

This book takes place from two very different perspectives. The first is from Lincoln(Linc). About 65% (guesstimate) of the book we travel alongside him. He is an IT/security man for a newspaper. Late twenties, several degrees under his belt, very smart, and still living with mom. Right away I can see how socially awkward he is. Certain things with him just don't seem to 'click' on a relational or emotional level. Yet I could not help but like him.

The other perspective is all an email/chat between Beth and Jennifer. Two other employees at the paper. Part of Lincoln's job is to search and read emails that get flagged. He is supposed to warn employees about inappropriate computer usage. Yet he is drawn to their conversation. In particular he is drawn to Beth. So he never reports them yet continues the email reading.

In many ways, Linc's behavior is creepy-stalker like. Especially when he checks out her work station and starts going to her boyfriend's concerts. I try to accept the email reading as he is still doing his job (you never know when personal conversations can turn into something else) but the other things were not okay. So even though he is a nice guy, his disconnect gets him in trouble with me.

Another thing that drove me nuts in this book was the chat/email style. Every other chapter at first (and then every third chapter) is between Beth and Jennifer. While this part does not bother me, the STYLE in which is is written drives me nuts! << Beth to Jennifer >>......<< Jennifer to Beth >>...... UGH! All the back and forth gave he a headache at my regular reading speed so I had to really slow down and focus on who says what. A simple << Beth >> with Beth was chatting and << Jennifer >> would have been much easier. Or a --->Beth if it was Jennifer to Beth. Just keeping is simple would have been much appreciated!

The other thing that bugged me is until over halfway through the book I could not visualize anything. We are in the middle of the book at the first mention to what Lincoln looks like. Let me simply say that until then I stereotyped how he looked. He got the adorable geek look. Skinny, hair in the eyes, etc. Apparently not! And therefore my mind was confused to what to imagine. I like knowing what the characters look like a lot sooner.

While the falling in love over reading emails as a third party seems odd, I still enjoyed the story. I have a friend that reminds me greatly of Lincoln (less the stalking) with the highly schooled, social inept gamer mentality. Although with Beth being a movie critic I also see it as a cute fit.

So the story moves nicely and has lots of coming-into-your-own going on. A late-in-life self discovery. I love seeing Linc mature and blossom. I just wish the manor was a bit more healthy. A fun, light and playful read.

*I received an eCopy of this book for review from PENGUIN Group in return for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are strictly my own.*

5.0 out of 5 stars If John Hughes Wrote a Book, November 19, 2012
KSluss (N.C. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments: A Novel (Paperback)
If John Hughes Wrote a book in 1999 instead of 1986, this would have been it. It has his sense of his humor, his kind of intrapersonal/relationship issues, and Molly Ringwald sort of romance. I read the book in about five or six hours, not straight through, but almost. Lincoln is a big, romantic, galoof (how do you spell that?)who wears his heart on his sleeve. Beth is funny, smart, a little sarcastic. Her e-mail conversations read just like ones I have with my best friends at work. I would totally hang out with her. The characters all have interests in lots of the geek things I'm interested in. If you're not into geek culture, you might not get a lot of the jokes (comics, star wars, D&D, etc.). It's just old enough (like I said, it's set in 1999) for a lot of the pop culutral references to be almost nostalgic.
The characters will do things to move you, to irritate you, to make you laugh, to make you mad. Huh, sorta like real people.
I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorite Books of the Year, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
*Squee!* That was my reaction after finishing this book. I totally adored this story. It's so cute. I know that's probably not the best way to describe a book, but it really is. I absolutely adored this book.

When you first meet Lincoln and hear about his situation, you rather pity him. I mean, he's in his late 20s, lives with his mom and he's only had one girlfriend his entire life. He's also a computer nerd which normally doesn't equal hip. His job consists of him reading other people's emails. He also isn't very good at standing up for himself. That doesn't normally shout out WINNER to the average person. However as the reader learns more about Lincoln's past and what he really wants, he becomes an incredibly likable character. His job of reading emails introduces him to Beth and Jennifer, two workers in his company. He learns about their lives through their emails which he finds he can't stop reading. It is through the emails that he falls in love with Beth even though he doesn't know what she looks like. I don't want to spoil the story but there's a wonderful twist that happens. I was very happy when I discovered it and guessed correctly.

I love how this book combines the email conversations with regular prose. I love stories that use email/IM/twitter formats but I find that I read those books really fast because of the format. While it's fun and different, it feels rather rushed. By combining the emails with a regular narrative, it allows the unique format to blend with the story allowing for a deeper reading but still very enjoyable at the same time. Through the emails we (and Lincoln) learn the deepest secrets of Beth and Jennifer's lives and there's a lot of emotion that flows out of them.

I think what is best about the story is that Rowell takes the very common boy-meets-girl story and gives a very different twist. It's a bold move that I think played off very well. I couldn't stop reading and I found myself really getting into the story. I cheered at parts. I became very sad at parts. I got angry at parts. I felt the love at parts. It's a truly wonderful book and just so very fun to read. I feel that Rowell has written a winner and I cannot wait to read more from her. HIGHLY recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read if Your a Fan of Rowell's YA Books, January 16, 2014
4.5 stars

Attachments shares several things with Eleanor and Park and Fangirl, all three take place in Nebraska and all three feature quirky, different main characters. In this one it’s Lincoln, a somewhat stunted 28-year-old who recently started as an internet security office at the local newspaper. His job is basically to read other people’s emails, something he’s not entirely comfortable with. He turns people in for their dirty jokes and other inappropriate things, but he can’t bring himself to send a warning to Beth and Jennifer, two friends who spend large portions of their day emailing back and forth about their personal lives.

The book did start out kind of slow for me. I couldn’t get a good feeling for Lincoln, is he just having a hard time figuring out what he wants to do with his life or is he the creepy guy who lives at home with his mom? Jennifer and Beth I liked pretty much from the get go, but I struggled with the email format. We only get to know Jennifer and Beth through their emails and while we definitely got to know intimate things about them, it was a format that took some getting used to. Speaking of the emails, I know it wouldn’t have been particularly interesting or relevant to the story, but I can’t believe there wasn’t more complaining/gossiping about their coworkers or bosses. Or maybe those emails just didn’t get flagged?

As the story goes on Lincoln, who it quickly becomes clear is a good guy, feels more and more of a connection with Beth and Jennifer, but he particularly likes Beth who is the film critic at the newspaper. But it’s an awkward situation, Lincoln can’t really introduce himself as the guy who reads her emails, plus she has a boyfriend. As time goes on Lincoln still has strong, maybe even stronger, feelings about Beth, but he also starts to build is own life. He makes friends, he goes out, he joins the gym, and I really loved watching his growth over the course of the book.

One of the things I thought a lot about during this book was who people are when communicating over writing verses who they are in person. A little over halfway through the book I thought how weird it would be if we were actually to see Jennifer or Beth speak and I wondered what they would be like. In a way it’s kind of like “meeting” people online. I think the way that I write on this blog or on Twitter is a pretty good representation of my actual personality, but I think it’s just natural that there are differences. In writing you completely control who you want to be since there’s no other way for people to judge, but in real life there are things like body language and tone of voice to interpret.

Bottom Line: The entire time I was reading this book I had a smile on my face. Even at the beginning when I was struggling to click with it. Fangirl remains my favorite Rainbow Rowell book, but Attachments is definitely a close second. I loved the internet monitoring premise, I loved Lincoln’s quirkiness, and I loved the late-1990s setting. This is a must read if you’re a fan of Rainbow Rowell’s young adult books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Everyone!, July 1, 2014
“There are moments when you can’t believe something wonderful is happening. And there are moments when your entire consciousness is filled with knowing absolutely that something wonderful is happening.”

While reading Attachments, I knew something wonderful was happening. Attachments is at first a really weird book to wrap your head around. Someone reading my emails? That’s creepy! And yet, Rainbow Rowell beautifully writes this story in a way that you won’t be able to feel anything but love for Lincoln.

Speaking of, remember when I said Sam Roxton was the ultimate book boyfriend for me? Well, I’m pretty sure Lincoln is right up there as well. There was something about Lincoln that I absolutely fell for, and it wasn’t entirely because of his looks. (hehehe) Lincoln is in his mid 20’s with absolutely no idea what he wants to do with his life, and tons of college degrees because he could never decide on what to study. He lives with his mom and has an average and non-eventful life. LINCOLN IS THE MALE VERSION OF ME. I don’t know what to do with my life. I’m studying Chemistry, but when I finish doing that… WHAT THEN? I understood Lincoln and his wandering. I understood every decision he made because it felt like I was the one doing them. I loved Lincoln not because he was extremely attractive, but because he was so human, so vulnerable, so real, that I couldn’t help but loving him.

Beth is also such a refreshing character. We get to meet her through the emails Lincoln reads, and she is just so hilarious and headstrong! Her personality shone through each and every email, and I couldn’t wait for the next time we would be able to read more. Beth is hilarious when she needs to be, and isn’t afraid to say what thinks at any moment. Beth was so well developed, that I wouldn’t have minded only reading this book solely through the emails she exchanges with her best friend.

Speaking of, every other character in this book had such a unique personality! Even if they only had like 3 pages to themselves, you learned so much about them in that short time. They were so vital to the story, and each of them a different star that shone though at every possible moment.

The romance was perfectly done. It made me feel all happy and gooey on the inside. Seeing Lincoln slowly fall in love with Beth, and Beth falling for Lincoln as well was the perfect pick me up for the day. Not to mention the fact that they are so undoubtedly perfect for each other!

Overall, this Rainbow Rowell book is one you definitely shouldn’t pass up on. It doesn’t have nearly as much hype as it should, and if you’re looking for the perfect read, then definitely pick this book up!

Rating: 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Rainbow Rowell topped my favorite author list last year with her hit 80's themed high school romance book, Eleanor and Park, and with Fangirl, she proved once again that she was here to stay. So it's really hard to say that her debut book, Attachments , failed to impress me like her other works. It just wasn't something for me. Attachments is told from a male pov, which for a change I quite enjoyed, but the biggest drawback was infact my inability to feel anything for the MC. Lincoln is a very geeky, non social guy and I'm sure he's a very good catch in real life, but generally in fiction I look for characters with interesting background and entertaining storyline, and Lincoln has none of that. In short, he's very boring and his story which sounded really fun from the synopsis actually turned out to be rather bland.

Lincoln works in the IT department where his job is to go through flagged emails and during one of his shift, he comes across an email exchange between 2 friends, Beth and Jennifer, and instead of warning them, he kept reading their regular conversations for entertainment. That right there was a very stalkerish move on Lincoln's part, but seeing how harmless he was, I never tagged him as a creeper and continued his story in hopes that in the end, it would all turn out to be very cute and adorable. And it did, to some extent. I loved reading the Beth and Jennifer's email, that was probably the most fun part in this entire story. It is amazing that the author manged to fully develop both Beth and Jennifer's character without giving them any perspective. I loved that I came to admire their friendship just by reading their emails, but at the same time, I wished we would've gotten to know them on one on one basis. That was something I felt was missing from this book, and if present, would have made this book 100 times better. Because of that, I never felt the romance or any type of emotions from Beth's side, all I got was Lincoln cutely crushing over a mysterious girl, which was really adorable to a certain level, but after that, I wanted more. On top of that, the numerous boring flashbacks centering around Lincoln's high school relationship and college experience didn't help the story besides lengthening it for no reason. Overall, I wish a story that had a great plotline wasn't executed in a dull way.

Attachments was a very cute book but I wish there was more to it. I get that it was Lincoln's journey to take a step in the right direction and open himself more for new opportunities, and I really appreciated seeing his character be more confident by the end, but I still stand by what I said earlier. However, I do want to mention that I read this book during the worst time ever and maybe my super sappy mood effected my judgement. I started Attachments earlier this week and when I tuned in to see the Men's Halfpipe on Tuesday, I was devastated with the results. Hence, the super sappy mood. If I would've read Attachments any other day, I probably would've given it 3.5 stars, but oh well. You be the judge.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute!, August 6, 2014
First off, I picked up this book, kind of on a whim, because it was $1.99 on Amazon. Thought, why not? It's only two dollars! Pretty much nothing to lose. It took me a few chapters to distinguish between Beth and Jennifer simply because I tended to skip over the (Beth to Jennifer) and (Jennifer to Beth) parts of the emails and just read! But it really didn't take long to no longer need the (from and to) and fall in love with all of the characters! No, this is probably not the most informative review, but it all boils down to, for me this book was just funny, and so cute! Yes, very, very cute!

Attachments
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (Hardcover - April 14, 2011)
Used & New from: $9.76