on October 22, 2013
Unless you've been living under a rock, you're probably aware of the monumental impact that Attack on Titan has had on the anime world since it's premiere. As somebody who has been viewing and reviewing anime for a long time, I can say that this is the rare series that actually lives up to the hype. People will complain about pacing issues about a third of the way in, but these problems, if you even consider them to be such, are minuscule compared to the overall levels of quality put into the series.

As far as the story goes, while it does have elements of other previous projects, such as Gantz and Claymore, it still remains a unique concept in and of itself. At it's core, Attack on Titan is a story about survival and humanity's refusal to die out, even against colossal odds. It brilliantly mixes elements of post apocalyptic, medieval fantasy, revenge, and even a little bit of steam punk, and it all comes together to form your classic 'hero versus monster' story. The voice acting is very well done, and I cannot say enough good things about the soundtrack. Above all else, I'm grateful that they had the good sense to put the series on hiatus while the manga continues, rather than giving us endless episodes of filler, that nobody really wants to see.

Not much word yet on what this box set will actually consist of, but I will be coming back to edit this review as necessary when more information is released, and of course when the set itself is in hand.

As a final note, I would like to encourage anybody that has already enjoyed the series to buy this product. With piracy at an all time high, it's becoming more and more difficult for anime to prosper in the US and Europe, so supporting truly excellent shows like this are more important now than ever. I think we all remember the sting of having to wait so many years to get the dub of Hellsing after Geneon went under, and even now it's almost impossible to find the box set of Higurashi without dropping hundreds of dollars. So please, if you love anime, and you love Attack on Titan in particular, buy the set and show them your support.
6161 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 9, 2014
There are plenty of reviews for the AoT anime anywhere you wanna look, so my review is based on the value of the Limited Edition package being sold for upwards of $53-$80 versus any other home release.

It's nowhere near worth it.

To set the tone, I only purchased this set because I had pre-ordered it back when the set was first announced at $53, and by the time it was ready for release it had increased to $80. I figured there must be some reason it was that expensive, so I kept my pre-order. I actually looked online at FunImation's website, and I thought there was going to be a bunch of other extras like necklaces and pins and metal stuff. But no, there's nothing included that gives any reason to ever pay more than $30 for this set, if even that much.

With this Limited Edition package you get two dvd's and two bluray discs (each format only holding the first 13 episodes); a lenticular slip that's just the same image as the cover to the set (and not all that lenticular-y as far as the effect goes); a 12-page "art book" that's glued into the middle of the set that contains some character descriptions, some odd chibi-style manga panels, and a very select few cover art/splashes from the covers of the Japanese disc releases (the pages are numbered to 26, but that's counting front and back images for each page). The set itself holds the discs in a single plastic tray for each format (a dvd tray and a second bluray tray). Each disc is stacked one over the other, so in order to get to the second disc of each format you have to remove the first disc on top. The biggest flaw with this design is that the center tab holder for the top disc has nothing bracing it from behind when the second disc is taken out, and it's really hard to put the first disc back into its holder.

The disc authoring is pretty poor as well. You get the nice "Marathon" feature which will play all episodes back-to-back without having to see the intro or ending for each episode. But what really pisses me off is that the commercial break interlude images are not translated! There's so much information about the AoT world and how things work, yet nowhere are there subtitles or translations for these images; not even in the dam artbook! You would actually have to go to the extras section just to view them, under the "Eyecatch Gallery," completely taking you out of the specific episode you're watching just to understand what's being show on screen *sigh*

None of the artwork used for the cover/interiors/rear cover are particularly special; the set is a hardbook cardboard that opens like a book; and it feels kinda flimsy when you hold it in your hand. There's no holder for the lenticular slip, so you're just gonna have to slide it into the middle of the set somewhere if you wanna keep everything all together. Amazon will even ship this to you in a padded envelope if you buy it alone, so be aware that the hardbook cardboard could be bent up and damaged by the time you get it in the mail.

Spending $50+ for a set of 13 episodes for an anime that you easily could have seen streaming online during it's first broadcast run is atrocious.Even recommending the special edition set for $50-$80 if the entire 26 episode series was offered is a big stretch. Stick to what's cheapest, get the regular edition, or wait for an all encompassing series set to be released later on because this first Limited Edition package is nowhere near worth the money it's demanding from you.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2014
The actual media is perfect. Well designed, good dubbing, flawlessly presented.

But this "Limited Edition" is simply not worth the double cost. The 24-page "book" is built into the disc case, you cannot even remove it - and it contains nothing that is not already online on every wiki site out there. None of the images or content in it is even remotely new or unique - except for a few of the "chibi" comics, which are bound to be online in a day or so.

The holographic lithograph on the cover is neat, but it just isn't worth the increase in price. Save yourself the money and get the regular edition.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2014
I first saw this anime with subs, last year (2013), and I was surprised by how good it was! When I first heard of Attack on Titan, I was expecting the greek titans jeje I was wrong with that, The titans are more human like, with the thirst for blood, they will eat anyone who gets in their way (or at least most of them will). The anime can get very intense at times with top notch action scenes! It does get a little slow in some episodes, but it was nothing that made me want to stop watching it. The Japanese voice acting is really good, and from what I have heard of the dubbed (about 4 episodes), it also sounds good, for those who prefer the dubbed versions. The animation is different from what I have seen before, the characters outlines are thicker than most anime, but I really like that. Character development is not great, but still good, with the main character (Eren) being sorta 1 dimensional... The anime can be really gory and brutal at times, so I wouldn't recommend it to little kids... Overall, it's a really good anime, plot and story are damn good and I would recommend it to anyone who likes action/adventure anime.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2014
When I first heard about this, I was skeptical. I heard there was a lot of hype and that people were saying "greatest anime of 2013" or "all time". For me this meant either one of two things:

1) The hype is well deserved.
OR
2) This was some Dragon Ball Z type anime (which I hate) that has no real story or characterization.

I decided to watch the first four episodes on You Tube and found them interesting. I have to say I was still reluctant due to reviews saying that it was not meant for people with weak stomachs. After a few more reviews and checking over scenes on You Tube, I decided to take a chance and buy it. Was it worth it....I think the rating I gave it tells you.

This is a anime meant for the classics. Its not perfect, but its shortcomings are easily overlooked when you take the whole series in. I literally watched this entire box set from start to finish (sometimes replaying scenes that were fun to watch) in one night. Six plus hours total!. The story will simply draw you in and end each episode ends on a cliffhanger.

A little warning, this show is "messy", as in some bloody violence (people being eaten). Fortunately, it was not at the level I thought it would be. The best way to describe it is if you can handle some of the bloody scenes in Fullmetal Alchemist (the original), this one should be around the same level more or less. But those Titans are freaky, especially the one with the big grins etched on their face. To seem them cut down was always a joy (especially the ones that die with a smile on their face. REALLY FREAKY).

The only thing I regret is that I did not get the second half of the series when i got the first half. This is a good series and has earned the hype.
on May 7, 2014
Watched the whole series in a days time and it was great! If you like anime, you need to watch this.
on June 24, 2014
It's a book cover with 4 discs and a few pages attached between the discs.

That's it. It doesn't even clasp closed or have a box to slide into.

Bare bones. Really poor effort.

It should be said this is a review of the limited edition packaging more than it is the show.

The show is fantastic.
on July 17, 2014
Id love to give this product 5 stars, the show itself, from the characters, the fights, the music, and its gorgeous presentation on Blu-Ray are certainly deserving of such a rating but I just could not due to some changes to the subtitles since I also prefer to watch this show with the original Japanese language. I have seen the entire series (thus far) on a website long before this release and the subtitles were different, having seen that version first I find I that I far prefer that as opposed to the one presented here. This is purely personal and if this is your first exposure to the series then what I just wrote shouldn't affect you, its one of my favorite shows and I am excited to finally add it to my library! Its certainly worth all of the praise it has received, you'd be foolish not to at least give it a chance! Looking forward to getting part 2!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Please also note: I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray Special Edition at $48.99, the price has fluctuated, and is currently in the $60+ range - just FYI.

UPDATE: Funimation confirms 13 episodes. Told ya so!

Also (via Funimation): "A Limited Edition of Attack on Titan is also available to order in our Shop, and through other retailers. This edition includes: - 3D lenticular art card - a 24 page digibook titled "Notes from Beyond the Wall: Part 1″ - plus 104 minutes of on-disc extras"

Also:

"Fans can now order the Collector's Edition of Attack on Titan, available exclusively in our FUNimation Shop. This edition will include the following: - 4-pin collection (Military Police Regiment, Scout Regiment, Garrison Regiment, and Cadet Corps) - A replica of Eren's key necklace - A sword necklace featuring the Titan flesh paring blades - a 3D lenticular art card - a 24 page digibook titled "Notes From Beyond the Wall: Part 1″ - plus 104 minutes of on-disc extras"

-----------------------------------------------------------
I will of course update the product listing once I receive the actual item and check the quality, extras, and so on. Mainly I want to add a positive review of the series and the story to encourage folks to check it out. I expect this DVD/Blu-Ray to contain 13 episodes. If Funimation actually includes all 26 (25 numbered episodes plus the 13.5 'catch up' episode), then I will be shocked.

I have seen episodes 1 - 25 (on Crunchyroll with a premium membership), and like most people, I was originally skeptical about this series. In fact, I wasn't sold on it until I got through episode 3. Then I forced my girlfriend to watch it (who isn't fond of many anime series). Now we're cosplaying as Eren and Mikasa!

The manga was good, but the quality was what it was: a beginner series. The author Hajime Isayama pitched his first series to Shueisha and Weekly Shonen Jump. WSJ told him to clean it up and water it down for younger audiences. They said it wouldn't be a hit with the current style and story. So Isayama basically told them to stuff it and took it to Kodansha. Now, several years later, he has one of the most amazing breakout hits in anime history.

The series is complicated, and it poses many questions which aren't answered by episode 25. But to give you an idea of the initial premise: humanity is confined into a huge walled land with several cities and gates. Outside these walls are wilds populated by Titans - giant, seemingly unintelligent feeding creatures. And their diet consists of humans. Mankind hasn't figured out what they are or what they want or even how to properly combat them. The only thing that seems to work is using 3D maneuver gear to get behind a Titan's neck and cut out a chunk of their flesh just at the base of the neck. Otherwise, the Titans regenerate and continue eating. Oddly, they don't seem to need to eat to survive. Weird!

So things seem to be rosy and easy - except for the Expeditionary forces which continue venturing outside the walls to gather intelligence - when a couple of different Titans (not the mindless automaton-like Titans) break into the wall. Then all hell breaks loose. Mankind suffers a crippling defeat and has to move behind the next wall - losing a huge chunk of territory and people in the process.

What makes this series amazing is the characters. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin are amazing and complex characters. It reminds me a bit of Fullmetal Alchemist, the completeness of the characters and my hopes that all goes well for them. Adding to the tension is the fact that death in this series is kind of pointless. It's not like some heroic battle against an evil opponent... no, in this series, when one gets eaten by a Titan it's a pretty worthless death. Which makes the tension much better.

The animation is high quality, but they studio kept to the style of the manga. Expect thick lines, and some distortion. But the finishing is excellent. The backgrounds (courtesy Production IG) are impressive. This series pops when viewed in HD. The music is a wonderful score composed by Hiroyuki Sawano (might now him from Gundam Unicorn, Blue Exorcist, and Guilty Crown).

One note: I love the series in Japanese because Romi Park (who voiced Edward Elric in FMA) is the voice of Zoë Hange, she is amazing in this role as she is in most. Plus it's fun to hear her voice a female for once!

Show solidarity for humanity and buy this series! You will not be disappointed!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 30, 2014
I love this anime and it was breathtaking to watch it in 1080p.... AND the English voice actors where amazing simply AMAZING!