4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy it with a bag of popcorn and some juju bees
Remember those hokey old "B" thrillers from the 50's? Remember your youth when it seemed like everyone had seen every 'monster' movie and loved to talk about it?
Published on June 10, 2000 by Paul J. Moade

1.0 out of 5 stars Attack of the Crab Monsters
Published on May 28, 2002 by R. Stagel

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy it with a bag of popcorn and some juju bees, June 10, 2000
Paul J. Moade (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
I remember having a friend over for the evening, watching our old B&W tv, and throwing a blanket over the monitor and ourselves -- we were in a drive-in *grin*. Shows like this were what we watched.
This film is a great 'time trip' back to those early days of monster movies when atom bomb testing (did we really detonate those things above ground?) was the cause for every mutation or monster loosed on humanity. As a young boy, it had scared me -- the voices in the night and an island which kept getting smaller gave me dreams. Of course, today's film crowd would hoot at it. But it's not the cinematography, special effects or even the story that makes this flick one worth adding to your library. It's the wistful return to our youth that gives it charm.
If you were born after 1970, you'll probably not have much in common with this film -- bypass it. However, if you grew up watching 'Chiller Theater' and 'Movie of the Week', this film will transport you back in time to the less complex world of our childhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pay no attention to the wheels and legs under the monsters, March 1, 2003
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
If you see only one talking crab monster movie in your life then this 1957 bad B-movie from director Roger Corman is the one to check out. The monsters are stupid looking, the dialog is laughable, but just keep in mind the film's tagline--"From the depths of the sea... a tidal wave of terror!"--and enjoy the film. The idea is that some scientist types are off to a Pacific island to study the effects of atomic radiation (they are bad; worse than you can imagine). What they discover are a pair of giant crabs who (wait until you hear this) ate the previous group of scientists, thereby absorbing their knowledge and allowing them to imitate the voices of their human victims so they can get more people to munch on. Just to make things fair the humans have guns and grenades, but they are trapped on the island when their plane explodes and bad weather stops their radios from working. Oh, and did I mention that the island is slowly sinking into the sea?
Of course the scientists are mostly menu items, which leaves it to our hero, Hank (Russell "The Professor" Johnson), who proudly declares "I'm no scientist, I'm a technician and a handy man." Well, those are the people who made this country and most monster movies great. The human voices from the crabs are rather lame, but the clicking sound they make with their pinchers has its moments. This is a nice example of an early Corman quick and dirty production, the second of nine films the director made that year: "Not of This Earth," "Naked Paradise," "Teenage Doll," "The Saga of the Viking Women and Their Voyage to the Waters of the Great Sea Serpent," "The Undead," "Sorority Girl," "Rock All Night," and "Carnival Rock." But none of those have fake looking talking crabs rolling around on wheels on a sinking island talking with the voices of the human beings they consumed. Look for screenwriter Charles B. Griffith as Tate and keep in mind that actors Beach Dickerson (Ron Fellows) and Ed Nelson (Ensign Quinlan) are doing double-duty as the operators of the crab monsters. "Attack of the Crab Monsters" definitely goes in the so bad it is good category. In fact, this one might become your textbook definition of bad Science Fiction B-Movie. It is a two-star movie but a four-star experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Attack of the Crab Monsters, May 28, 2002
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
I'm a big fan of the 50's monster movies. A test blast of the atomic bomb mutated the crabs into giant size. The first research party to study the island disapeared so they send in a second research party. Need I say more? I looked forward to watching this movie because it was my favorite as a kid. I just ordered this and was very disapointed with quality of this video. It was the worst quality video I have ever purchased. It looked like they copied off a TV that was on the runway of a large airport. The entire movie was fuzzy and a few times the whole picture was blanked out. Very disapointing. ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Famous Monsters of Filmland fans will love it, January 3, 2000
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
I've wanted to get this movie on video for years, and finally got one thanks to Amazon. A glorious low-budget Roger Corman piece that has some surprisingly clever ideas in its script, and a bit of genuinely creepy atmosphere. Sure, the crab monsters themselves are a bit naff, but that's exaactly what you expect when you watch a movie like this. If you can't appreciate the finer points of a B-movie, you should obviously stay well away. But if you remember watching this one on television when you were a kid, like me, you may find yourself drawn to it the same way I was.
The print used for the video is not very good, unfortunately. Too much contrast, and it looks like it's more than one generation down from the master video copy. It makes it difficult to see what's happening at times. I don't know if other editions have better video quality. Although the edition I have is recorded at SP, it almost looks as if it were dubbed from an EP tape.
But you know what? I'm still happy I have the video. Any Saturday morning I can escape back to my childhood by watching a cheap B&W monster flick is a good one to me, and this is a perfect movie to fit the bill.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crabs take over the island..., April 29, 2003
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
Another Roger Corman classic staring monsters from the deep. This time we have a research team investigating an island for effects of radiation. We all know that radiation in a black and white film creates monsters. This time is no exception.
In typical Corman fashion, the plot is established and the terror begins and at first we only see the handywork of the monsters and not the monsters themselves. As quakes wrack the island, causing large sections to disappear, and scientists disappear, we become aware that there are some nast giant crabs on the island. They have been eating the scientists and causing the island to sink. If that wasn't enough, they have absorbed the knowledge, and voices, of those they have eaten.
The film climaxes with the final battle between the survivors and the crabs on all that remains of the island (about 10 yards across).
This is the type of movie that makes B-movies so much fun. Monsters, suspense, bad effects, melodrama and sinking islands. Great film.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST worst movies made, November 1, 2008
G. O. Cacher (Somewhere between the North Pole and the Equator) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (DVD)
The review title may sound a bit odd, but that sums it up. There are relics of poor editing and splicing, the lighting is terrible and the sound is okay. The plot is fair at best and the storyline is typical. This is what low-budget Drive-In monster movies are about. I've known companies to go to lengths to make a movie look cheesy and awful, but this movie does it on its own merits. The special effects are quite laughable, too. But that's why I ordered it. I'm left over from the 50's, so maybe that's why I like "The Attack of the Crab Monsters" so much. Reports do indicate however that the legitimacy of Allied Artists has yet to be determined. The DVD copy I received was obviously a burned copy, not pressed. The packaging was well done, though. But no liner notes. Yeah, it was worth the $25 I paid, I guess. Keep your eyes peeled for Russell Johnson - The Professor from "Gilligan's Island"

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Monster Movie!, August 9, 2003
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
This movie was another Grade B gem from the master of these
types of films Roger Corman.A rescue party is sent to an island
to rescue a group of scientists.The rescue party discovers that earthquakes are decimating the island. They make a scarier discovery in the forms of giant crabs who have undergrown a
tremendous growth cycle because of atomic testing.One by one
these monster crabs kill and eat the members of the rescue team.
It is an all out battle for survival.Who will win? The monster
crabs or the rescue team members.This movie stays exciting until
the ending. This is a unique film that you will enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great "B" Movie ruined by poor VHS mastering, July 9, 2005
Bill W (Spirgfield Va. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
This by far the the worst VHS mastering I have ever seen.
My comment on the movie itself is the story was effective the acting was a bit HAMMY, the special effects are Corman. In my Corman Rating scale the movie would be a three or a four.

When I was eight I would have been scared as hell!

The tape itself was impossible to play on a vcr!
Major problems!
Look for an other release or wait for the DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crab monster Classic., February 24, 2006
J. Delgado (Fresno, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attack of the Crab Monsters (VHS Tape)
This sci-fi movie is in black & white which adds to the forbidding mood of the plot. The cast of characters in this movie do a creditable job of heighting the suspense. While the notion of giant land crabs plotting the overthrow of humanity is a bit far fetched. The premise that these giant mutant crabs can gain knowledge by eating the brains of scientists and blowing up the Island bit by bit with stolen explosives thereby cornering the remaining survivors is entertaining. This movie is fun to watch, you'll get a kick out of it!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Giant Crabs, Brains, What More Could You Want?", August 17, 1999
By A Customer
It felt like I was sitting in front of the TV with my brother and mom, waiting for "CHILLER THEATER" to come on when I popped this one into the VCR. This tape is for us horror sci-fi fans of the 60's. A "Have to have" in any collection. Keep bringing them back guys.

Attack of the Crab Monsters