Attenborough versus Weaver on Planet Earth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2008 12:30:32 AM PDT
DocTRex says:
Does anyone know why the Discovery Channel version has the remarkably inferior narration by S. Weaver rather than the always refreshing and original narration by D. Attenborough?

What was anyone thinking? If I hear Sigourney say one more time: "No one has ever photographed a blahblahblah before using a blahblahblah...."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2008 7:12:06 AM PDT
M. Norton says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 12:21:50 PM PDT
C. Fuller says:
Just to add some gas to a dying fire, Attenborough rules. I originally saw the Attenborough version and then saw the Weaver version on Discovery. Weaver's narration just does not seem as passionate as Attenborough's... to me, that is. Everyone has their own opinion but I think that hearing Attenborough's voice is much better than Weaver's. When I bought my DVDs from here, I made sure that it was narrated by Attenborough. I wouldn't have made the purchase if it wasn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 6:33:50 PM PDT
kelsie says:
" I'm in America and like hearing narration from my own, not a brit!"

Fine. Watch a good AMERICAN documentary on the scale of Planet Earth, because PE was made by the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation.....and you won't find anything "Made in the USA" better than Planet Earth. Quit with the superpatriotic ultranationalism--it really comes off very hackneyed and ignorant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2008 9:56:47 PM PDT
J. Griffith says:
Well, sorry M. Norton, but I couldn`t agree less! Segourny Weaver sounds like she`s talking into a blanket! I had to turn the volume way up just to understand her. I`ve heard Attenborough on other PBS programs and even with a British accent, he`s way easier to understand! Of course, I rather like the British accent anyway. Can`t wait to get a Blu-ray player (Hopefully this fall) and the BBC Blu-ray version of Planet Earth will be my first purchase. J. Griffith

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2008 2:41:36 PM PDT
hahaha just this week in a british news paper there was an interview with sigourney weaver, about her new film. and she was saying how much she loves the uk because she is british, her parents were from the uk and she was born here, but has lived in the USA all her life, but that all her family still live in england and scotland. so either way technically your getting a brit lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2008 9:20:41 PM PDT
Laura Erwin says:
I have seen both, and they are drastically different. Attenboroughs version has this great passion for the subjects, but Weaver's narration is focused on basic knowledge and the technology that was used to capture it (something I appreciated)

I see it as watching the same show with different commentary tracks. You learn different things from both. If you like tech related stuff (as I do), you will enjoy the Discovery version. If you want to get indepth knowledge about the animals, check out the Amazon and retail version.

Just my opinion, I like both
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series
Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series by David Attenborough (DVD - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,532)