5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this book! It saved my little girl...
Published on October 12, 2009 by Maria Castillo

Published 3 months ago by Penguina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for this book! It saved my little girl..., October 12, 2009
My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in spring earlier this year. Although she has excelled after being diagnosed and put on medication, she had an emotional battle she was fighting alone. She broke down one night in sobs saying how she feels different than other girls and how terrible she feels having something "wrong" with her. She was depressed...It was heartbreaking. I can only imagine how hard it is for her to accept having ADHD along with the normal hormone changes that happens to tween girls. It's so much to handle for a little child. This book which we read together helped us tremendously. I learned about it from [...]. An awesome resourceful ADD/ADHD website. My daughter now feels confident and happy with herself. She now knows that ADHD doesn't define her as a person. Along with doing exceptionally well in school with straight As, she is also very happy emotionally and able to enjoy her childhood. This book is a life saver. Thank you so much and to those parents out there with a young daughter with ADHD looking for some guidance and help - please get this book and read it together. Your child, your family will benefit from this book greatly. I guarantee that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book written in a language a child can understand., August 11, 2009
I purchased this book for the child of a friend of mine. The book is designed in an amazing way just for young girls and is written in their language. It is engaging and does a great job of helping comfort girls with ADD/ADHD and letting them realize that they are not alone and that they have amazing gifts. She was so happy with the book and told me that she didn't feel like she was the only one who struggled with certain issues. This should be in every girls library collection if she has ADD/ADHD. It is a positive book and does not talk negatively about behaviors associated with ADD as other books that I have read say "How to deal with the problem of your child having ADD/ADHD." It is NOT a problem, it is a different way of thinking and behaving and has to be understood. I wish these books were sold more in actual stores instead of just online.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for teen & tween girls with ADHD, July 7, 2009
I absolutely loved this book! As a Mom with ADHD parenting a daughter with ADHD, Attention Girls! was exactly what I was looking for. The illustrations, graphics and layout of the book kept my daughter interested, while the incredibly helpful tips, stories and information taught us more than I would have ever imagined. Dr. Quinn made the information relatable and easily executable...what a difference reading it has made in our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend and great friend to girls with ADHD/ADD, July 14, 2009
Tomboy Tatiana loves to be outside and moving around.

Grumpy Georgia is hypersensitive, not hyperactive; even tags in her shirt make her irritable.

Anxious Anna worries about school and her friends. Mostly she worries that she'll forget to do something important.

Meet just a few of the girls with ADHD who inhabit this compassionate, fun, and ever-practical guide. It takes more than one or two to illustrate the wide-ranging symptoms of ADHD in girls.

Beautifully designed with four-color illustrations and printed on slick paper, this book is perfect for reading with your daughter or letting her enjoy on her own. The information is solid and not '"dumbed down" but is clearly written and accessible. (In fact, I suspect moms with ADHD will gain much benefit, too!)

Topics include:
--Learning all about AD/HD
--Getting organized
--Paying attention
--HOMEWORK!
--Making and keeping friends
--Dealing with your emotions (many people don't realize that ADHD can create problems regulating one's emotional state and reactions)
--Understanding medication
And lots more.

About the author: It is largely thanks to Patricia Quinn, M.D., a developmental pediatrician, that ADHD in women and girls has gotten the attention it deserves. Today, many women are discovering only in mid-life (and much later) that they've had ADHD all their lives but no one knew! Some must then deal not only with ADHD symptoms but with the emotional fallout from years of struggle and secret shame.

Fortunately, girls growing up today can benefit from modern knowledge and, with this book, validation that they are not alone and there's nothing to be ashamed about. They are in good company, and there are solutions to their challenges.

The fact is, ADHD is not a one-size-fits all condition. There are sub-types and commonly co-existing conditions that affect how symptoms manifest. But it's especially important to know, if you are a woman or girl, that most books on ADHD simply do not address important aspects of your particular challenges and treatment strategies. Moreover, your therapist or physician might be unaware of these issues, too.

I don't know how Dr. Quinn has managed to write so many good books on ADHD, in addition to being a popular speaker and founding the non-profit National Center for Women and Girls with ADHD (with frequent collaborator, psychologist Kathleen Nadeau). The bottom line is, when you see her name on a book, you know it is solid information, engagingly presented. This book is no exception. It is a boon to girls with ADHD and their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars AD/HD for Girls and Women of All ages, November 9, 2009
I was diagnosed with AD/HD as a retired math teacher at age 62. I never understood why I was always losing things; running late; and having trouble organizing my home and my life. I felt that I was not good enough; not smart enough; and not coordinated like my siblings. As I began to assess my skills and weaknesses; I started to understand how much AD/HD had impacted my life. I finally got the whole picture by reading this book. This paperback has confirmed my thoughts that my daughter and her daughters also have AD/HD. I believe that this mauel will give each of them a more positive attitude towards life with the understanding that her ADD brain is a blessing in disguise.

I would recommend this paperback to all teachers, counselors, and family care doctors. I think it should be read by each woman and/or girl soon after her diagnosis. I might suggest that an adult read "Attention Girls," with any girl under 10 years. The authors did a great job of explaining the different types of behaviors that AD/HD girls can exhibit; and why they might go undiagnosed for a long time. It is an easy read and full of great information. I will be buying copies for friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big help for a girl with ADHD, Hyperactive/Impulsive type., November 16, 2010
My daughter has ADHD, Hyperactive/Impulsive type... this is the type more frequently seen in boys, while girls more often exhibit Inattentive type. Lots of the books written about hyperactivity and impulsivity are at least slightly, if not entirely, slanted toward boys and their experiences. This book touches on all of the major aspects of ADHD in girls, and has found a way of describing both the internal experiences and the external behaviors in clear, accurate, non-judgmental ways.

Diagnosed at 8, my daughter has a less profound case than kids who are diagnosed at 3, but ADHD still has an impact on almost every area of her life. She was initially resistant to reading this book - didn't want to admit that she might have this disorder, I think - but we just left it in her bedside book box, and after a while she had read everything else at hand and picked this up. Fifteen minutes later, she came out to the living room and said, "Mom... this is really creepy. Somebody went out and wrote a book about me!"

Of course no book is perfect, and there are aspects of it here and there that I would change. But overall, I have been very pleased with this book, as well as another paperback: The Survival Guide for Kids with ADD or ADHD They have not only helped my daughter to normalize her feelings and learn some new ways of coping with her symptoms, but they have also helped my husband get a clearer understanding of what ADHD is, and what it is not.

5.0 out of 5 stars So informative and an entertaining read, January 4, 2010
M. Cawley (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attention, Girls!: A Guide to Learn All about Your AD/HD (Hardcover)
This book provides really helpful tips and tehcniques that can be used primarily by children as well as for parents. I really like that this book is targeted for girls, though all of the information can be applied to both boys and girls. This was a fun book that was incredibly helpful, unlike many other ADHD books that are dry and a task to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want your ADHD child to get the 1976 message that their brain "doesn't work right", November 17, 2014
Penguina (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Ugh! I really wanted this to be a book I could share with my child. It is supposedly written for 7-12 year olds with ADHD. But it portrays ADHD as being a brain disfunction, rather than one type of human brain within a spectrum of brain-types. It was written in 1976 and reads pretty harshly. I think we've come a long way since then in how to talk about ADHD; sadly none of that seems to be reflected in this book.

In the first two pages, it labels ADHD, saying, "ADHD is a medical condition. It is seen in kids when certain areas of their brains are not working the way they should." It goes on to say "let's take a look at how the brain works and what scientists think goes wrong when someone has ADHD."

There are many less judgmental ways to talk about ADHD. I talk to my kid about the range of ways people's brains work....just like we have a range of how tall people are, what eye color people have...we have a range of ways that brains work. And ADHD typifies one type of human brain. (One that even the book acknowledges is shared by up to 1 in 10 kids). You can tell kids their brain works in a specific way without you're telling them their brain is "not working right".

There may be helpful messages in this book. I'll read it myself to cull the good parts, but I certainly won't be handing her the book to read. I'll keep looking for a book that will help my child understand her brain without labeling it as "not working right". Surprising and unfortunate!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, August 21, 2012
A Raines (Soddy Daisy, TN United States) - See all my reviews
My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of months ago. We did not know anything about ADHD or how to explain it to our daughter. I ordered this book for her and another ADHD book written by the same author for myself and my husband. My daughter loves this book and it has made her feel so much better being able to identify with the characters in the book. It was scary for her at first not understanding what ADHD was but the book not only made her and us realize that it isn't that scary but it also has a lot of great tips that she has been able to get excited about. It is targeted for a slightly older age group than my 7 year old but she has still gotten a lot from it. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy, June 16, 2009
It is a challenge for any clinician to be able to communicate effectively with children. It is even more difficult to do it in writing. Dr. Quinn been definitely successful with that endeavor in this book. This title covers the basics of ADHD very well as well as addressing many of the other issues such as medication treatment. So if you have a girl who has ADHD, this is well worth your consideration. A bonus is that the book design will be appealing to many young girls.
Mohab Hanna,M.D. author of Making the Connection: A Parent's Guide to Medication in AD/HD
Making the Connection: A Parent's Guide to Medication in ADHDUnderstanding Girls With AD/HDThe ADD & ADHD Answer Book: Professional Answers to 275 of the Top Questions Parents Ask

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Attention, Girls!: A Guide to Learn All about Your AD/HD
Attention, Girls!: A Guide to Learn All about Your AD/HD by Patricia O. Quinn (Hardcover - April 1, 2009)
$16.95 $13.90