Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on November 17, 2014
Ugh! I really wanted this to be a book I could share with my child. It is supposedly written for 7-12 year olds with ADHD. But it portrays ADHD as being a brain disfunction, rather than one type of human brain within a spectrum of brain-types. It was written in 1976 and reads pretty harshly. I think we've come a long way since then in how to talk about ADHD; sadly none of that seems to be reflected in this book.

In the first two pages, it labels ADHD, saying, "ADHD is a medical condition. It is seen in kids when certain areas of their brains are not working the way they should." It goes on to say "let's take a look at how the brain works and what scientists think goes wrong when someone has ADHD."

There are many less judgmental ways to talk about ADHD. I talk to my kid about the range of ways people's brains work....just like we have a range of how tall people are, what eye color people have...we have a range of ways that brains work. And ADHD typifies one type of human brain. (One that even the book acknowledges is shared by up to 1 in 10 kids). You can tell kids their brain works in a specific way without you're telling them their brain is "not working right".

There may be helpful messages in this book. I'll read it myself to cull the good parts, but I certainly won't be handing her the book to read. I'll keep looking for a book that will help my child understand her brain without labeling it as "not working right". Surprising and unfortunate!
33 comments22 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
Misleading!. Every girl who reads this book will think she has ADD.
The book started well in Chapter one with good description of ADHD. However,it gets totally "off focus" when giving examples of ADD girls. According to this book, ALL girls have ADD, Instead, it is just a description of different personalities, weaknesses and strenghts. It apprears that the author got distracted in giving ideas how to improve social skills, help with anxiety and other behaviors that are not specific for ADD. I would NOT recommend this book, Definitely, NO!
55 comments6 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse