100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Fire of Unknown Origin forum

Attention SONY: BOC's "Fire" needs the Remaster/Deluxe cd reissue !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2009 8:38:15 AM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
That's right...one of the band's top 3 most successful studio records and it's still just sitting there as the original lifeless late 80s cd release, un re-mastered, no bonus tracks, etc. This is a crime. Get on the ball and give this classic rock landmark album the deluxe treatment it needs. It's screaming for it. Digital remaster, rare bonus tracks, restored, original artwork, maybe booklet interviews in the liner notes, etc...
Come on Sony, do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2010 11:49:46 PM PDT
E. H. Thomas says:
Amen, Brother Hoagie!
Yes, you're preaching to the choir here, but I won't buy this one on CD. I have the original vinyl somewhere! and a Maxell UDXL II tape that probably sounds better than a crappy 1980's Columbia first-generation CD. (Fittingly, the other side is Black Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell.")

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 10:47:47 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
To be fair, the band itself hasn't been very good at putting out product for a long time. Cult Classics? Career of Evil: The Metal Years? And Heaven Forbid included that dreaded "we-are-out-of-ideas" move, the song sequel ("Still Burnin'"), a re-recording of "In Thee", and a ripoff of a Neil Young song title ("Harvest Moon"). So I don't know how much effort these guys are putting into curating their back catalog, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 2:42:18 PM PDT
E. H. Thomas says:
You're right; they may be running out of writing ideas. Even my long-gone hero, Harry Chapin, did that with his "Sequel" song, a follow-up to the hit song, "Taxi." I think it was more of a flight of fancy, "what if I did meet up with Sue again?" type-of-thing. I'll have to check out "Still burning."
Here's what I heard about "Cult Classics," which are re-recordings of older songs. Stephen King wanted to use some BOC songs for a movie, but since the rights to the old recordings were in the hands of Columbia records, to whom BOC may have still owed money for studio time, they would not have made a penny. So they went back in and recorded new versions. I've seen other artists do the same thing, especially if they cut with their long-time record company.
As far as "The Metal Years," that is simply Columbia/Sony records putting out another greatest hits package. Happens all the time, with or w/out the band on board. So if BOC is no longer with Sony, it's anyone's guess when they'll put it out. Bob Dylan is STILL with Columbia, has been since 1963 or so, but they only got around to remastering his stuff in the last few years, much later than Warner Brothers had on most of their material.

*Recent Alert* I just saw an item in a Seattle music store which is three BOC cds: The first album, Fire of Unknown Origin, and E.T. Live. For a moment my hopes were raised, because there is a new, extended version of ET Live for 28 bucks. However, a reviewer says that only the first one has been remasterd. Fiddlesticks.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 2:25:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2011 3:24:29 PM PST
Hoagie Mike says:
D Mok : You're way off track...you've lost me...not talking about new studio records- talkin' about Sony remasters...of the back catalog.
Having said that...
I disagree there- "Heaven Forbid" and "Curse Of The Hidden Mirror" are two excellent studio records...don't judge 'em, until you really give them a fair chance -listen closely! But that was back in 1998, and 2001.
"Cult Classic" (1994) is not bad either- the '94 BOC lineup was strong, and they did faithful and -again- inspired re-recordings of many chestnuts... very well done. Also, so what if Neil Young has the same song title- that happens all the time in pop music, Buck didn't rip him off at all, come on now. But what does that have to do with their back catalog restoration...?
But getting back to the remasters...it's up to Sony- but I've been told the members of the original band have to put up money, out of pocket to cover these...or take pay cuts in royalties...that what's holding up more reissues...
so we'll see...where it goes from here.

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 12:55:12 PM PDT
CQ DX says:
I concur! This is one of rock's most creative moments, and a masterpiece, to boot! It is a crime that this hasn't been remastered. My $12K, tube electronics stereo system is waiting!

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:25:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2011 10:16:42 AM PST
Hoagie Mike says:
It's truly a great, five-star rock album, every song is a classic, and the production and performance is awesome, on every level.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fire of Unknown Origin
Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Oyster Cult (Audio CD - 1990)
4.4 out of 5 stars (119)