5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING VOICE...AMAZING BEAUTY
Published on January 27, 2009 by Fj Verzijl

3.0 out of 5 stars Traditional, But Dull
I love Heather Headley and I love pop gospel, so I had high hopes and expectations for "Audience of One." And although Ms. Headley sounds as terrific as always, I was quite disappointed with the album. Perhaps because, as I said, I'm a fan of "pop" gospel, of which there is very little here. This is traditional, ballad heavy gospel, very different from the rhythm...
Published on March 3, 2009 by David Cady

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING VOICE...AMAZING BEAUTY, January 27, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
I buy a lot of cd's but do not write reviews a lot. But this time it's different. I just HAVE to let the world know what an amazing album Heather Headley has recorded. I still think she is one the best (if not THE best) female singers of this time but strangely enough on her solo albums that never showed (except on the Broadway albums). But this time it's different: This is Heather how she sounds like, what a voice, what a power, what an amazing talent has this woman...every song is a gem and if it takes gospel to let her sing like this than i hope she is going to record a lot more gospel albums like this.....
A MUST HAVE for everyone who loves good music. Also check out her video on YouTube where she peforms 'He Touched Me'...anyone who doens't get moved by this performance isn't human!!!!
ENJOY!!!A HUGE fan from The Netherlands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heather Shines!, January 15, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
Heather is a true vocalist. If you really appreciate an artist that

does not hide behind synthesizers and the other studio tricks that can

often make someone sound decent in a studio. Heather is different and

I'm glad that she decided to make this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT TRANSACTION...............GREAT CD, June 20, 2009
Anointed (Thomasville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
Highly recommend this CD......Excellent Praise and Worship. I hope she puts out another Gospel CD!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Your audience of one, May 21, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
People hear the words "gospel music" and make assumptions of mass choirs, firey voices, 'gospel growls' and the Spirit taking over. The "gospel" means "good news". In a crowd of many, when God has entered our hearts, we become an audience of one - with the Spirit. I'm not expecting commercial success, but hearing Heather's compelling voice as a conduit to help me get closer to God. If you find this CD "dull" or if you prefer the Commodores' version of "Jesus Is Love" over Heather's -that's okay. There is only one version of Jesus, and that should be enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, December 22, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
I rarely post an Amazon review on anything, but had to say something about Heather's album. Fantastic, wonderful, inspiring--bottom line, it just makes me really happy when I listen to it. And as fabulous as she was when I saw her live in Aida in NYC, this collection of songs has that extra ooomph where you know it comes from the heart. Any gospel fan will not regret getting a copy, and then sharing it with someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Beautiful!, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
I really love this CD. I love the mood of the songs, if there is such a thing. I also like the fact that the artist sings all of her songs and doesn't leave most of it up to a choir. The songs are really amazing. Of course, song number 8 is my favorite. If you are taking a long trip, simply relaxing at home, preparing to go out, this is the CD you want to play. It will help to keep you in the right frame of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gospel cd's ever recorded, April 20, 2010
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
Simply do not miss the connection of spirtual empowerment, one of the greatest gospel cd's of all time, Heather is an amazing vocalist who gives her all and all on each and every one of the spirit felt selections....Smokey Norvell added fuel to the fire. If you have not been redeemed by the time you listed to Heather you will be "simply redeemed".

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Words!, March 16, 2009
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
Audience of One, is such a heartfelt powerhouse of vocals from Heather Headley. Not your ordinary gospel CD; updated, yet the message is still clear. 'Jesus is Love', and 'Running Back to You' is such an uplifting spiritual experience. If you like Heather Headley, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, January 29, 2009
This album by Heather is very well done and has a great message. I was pleased to hear how clearly she expresses her faith throughout this album. While I certainly like some songs more than others, this album gets better with each listen. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dynamic Performer With a Powerful Message, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Audience of One (Audio CD)
From the moment I heard Heather Headley's powerful, resonant vocals, I knew I was in the presence of great talent. It didn't take me long to decide that this was one CD I needed to own, because I would listen to it again and again. Since then, my expectations have been fulfilled beyond my initial anticipation. Over the past few months, Audience of One has become the soundtrack of my life, partly because the performance and the message blend together so perfectly. The reason, I believe, is that this CD has been a long time in the making, shaped by Heather Headley's entire life, in fact.

As a youngster on the island of Trinidad, Heather began charming audiences by singing reggae and soca from the tender age of four. When she was fifteen, her family moved to the United States. Soon, Heather's musical gift was recognized and she began winning the leading roles in her High School productions. She continued on towards a career in musical theater during college, which she left during her junior year to accept a part in the Broadway play, Ragtime. She has since won starring roles in The Lion King, Aida and Dreamgirls.

Aside from her cast albums for musicals, Heather Headley has released a couple R&B CDs. Her latest CD, Audience of One, won the Grammy award for Best Contemporary Gospel Album this year. The title stems from her early memories of performing in her father's one room church back in Trinidad. "That is where I learned to sing. I would close the windows and practice singing and playing the piano for hours...I found such joy singing in that empty church to my `audience of one.' And so that is what this album is...a girl singing to the only audience that really matters...the One Audience who is truly worthy."

Heather Headley combines her dynamic voice with powerful songs that speak of God's authority and mercy in a very real and direct way. Although it's hard to make a choice, my favorite song on the album is a medley of three hymns: I Need Thee Every Hour, Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus and I'd Rather Have Jesus. Those three songs woven together become a single dramatic testimony of God's faithfulness. Similarly, I love The Power of The Cross which also begins subtly, then builds to an inspiring crescendo with Heather's voice soaring as she proclaims "This, the power of the cross: Son of God--slain for us. What a love! What a cost! We stand forgiven at the cross." There are some more upbeat selections too, including the infectious song, Ordinary Me and the choir backed anthem, I Know The Lord Will Make a Way.

God has given Heather Headley a special musical talent, on par with great female performers such as Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand. All of them have outstanding vocal abilities and have been endowed with the ability to relate to their audience by communicating emotion which surpasses the written lyrics. As a Christian myself, I was thrilled to find a singer of such excellence who proudly acknowledges the One who gave her this gift. I love singing with Heather as she declares: "I am a Christian. Do you know what that means? It means I'm far from perfect, simply redeemed. I was bought with a purpose, purchased by love. It's not a form of religion but a gift from above. I am not perfect...I have been redeemed."

Audience of One
Audience of One by Heather Headley (Audio CD - 2009)