Published on April 10, 2010 by L. M. Cooney Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, If you aren't afraid to solder
I have a perfectly functional cable, which works great when used with an HDMI cable, but it took about 5 minutes of soldering. If you aren't comfortable with this, don't buy this product, as it likely won't work correctly out of the box. If you do purchase, you can fix it by following the steps below.

NOTE: If you break your Xbox, it's your fault and only...
Published on October 1, 2010 by S. Malachowsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Option If You Use HDMI For Video But Need Optical For Audio, April 10, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gen RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 + Slim (Accessory)
I actually use this in conjunction with a pair of Turtle Beach X4's. I am fortunate to own an Onkyo 7.1 Surround Sound system (can be found for a great price if you dig a little online) however there are certain times, usually at night when she is asleep on the couch, that my wife just prefers I use headphones will gaming. So since my Onkyo receiver is capable of doing both HDMI Audio and Video, I use the optical connection on this adapter to go straight into the Turtle Beach receiver. So for that purpose, it works like a champ.

It will of course also work if you have a receiver that only does HDMI video but not audio as well.

The only thing I will say is when I purchased this a few months ago, I recall paying no more than $15 for it, and that included shipping, so buyer beware, it appears that some people are taking advantage of the fact that this is a somewhat hard to find item. However shop around if need be, as a $34 asking price is just absolutely uncalled for.

I've also recommended this to two people who had various different home theater setups that required the optical audio connection but they used HDMI for the video, and they both had no issues with this adapter and it worked flawlessly for them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, If you aren't afraid to solder, October 1, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

NOTE: If you break your Xbox, it's your fault and only your fault. If you burn your house down or your finger with a soldering iron, it's your fault and only your fault. Proceed at your own risk.

1) Check the cable... there is a chance it will be wired correctly when you get it. If so, lucky you :-) Make sure you try changing the TV HDMI input to another input, then back to the XBOX. If the XBOX resets, sorry, you need to plug in your soldering gun.

2) Open the plastic on the end of the plug that goes into the Xbox. You might need to tape it closed later, as it tends to break. Not a huge deal, as this won't kill the plug, just make it a little less attractive. Set it aside.

3) Remove the copper outer casing on the plug. This is the trapezoid thin metal outer part of the plug, with no wires connected to it. Slide it off the end of the plug by inserting a blade to release the two plastic tabs in the rectangular holes. Try not to damage this part if possible. Set it aside.

4) Get lined up to which pin is which. You need to focus on pins of even numbers 18 - 30. I have added a customer image to the product for reference. The easiest way to find these is to look at the wire side of the plug, find the three wires in a row (the optical wires) on the wide side and look at the 7 on the narrow side on the same end.

5) Remove the hot glue from these pins gently using a razor.

6) Make sure there are no connections between or to the last three: 26, 28, and 30. If there is a connection, desolder it. Mine didn't have any, but it is important you check this.

7) Jump (place a blob of solder) pins 22 and 24.

8) Jump pins 18 and 20.

9) Check your connections. This can be done with a continuity meter. 18 and 20 should be connected, 22 and 24 should be connected, and also check for lack of connections between the two groups and 26, 28, and 30.

10) Time to check your work. Your Xbox should not reset when changing HDMI inputs away from and back to your Xbox, and the optical plug on your adapter should be glowing red. You should get sound through the cable. I did this to get 5.1 optical so that I can hear someone behind me just before they shoot me in the head in Halo: Reach.

11) If there are still problems, recheck your work and use Google. You're on your own.

12) Did you remember to unplug your soldering iron? Are the curtains on fire? Why did you think a windowsill was a good place to put a hot soldering iron?

13) If it works, time to put everything back together. Replace the hot glue if you have some to keep things from touching, slide the copper cover back in place, and replace the plastic casing. You may need some tape or glue here. Easiest thing to do is wrap it a few times with electrical tape, stretching it to keep things nice and tight.

14) Game on. Please leave a comment if this worked for you. Sorry about those curtains dude, but things could have gotten much worse. Good thing you had that fire extinguisher handy. Some Halo will take that off your mind. It's hard to think about burnt curtains when a Covenant Mothership has you pinned down.

EDIT: Looks like the seller might have removed the reference picture...

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable causes xbox reboot when switching video inputs on your tv, July 20, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This cable does the trick with one major flaw. It is not wired correctly and the xbox360 will reboot if you switch inputs on your display.

For example, if you have a cable/satellite box in tv hdmi input 1, and the xbox is on tv hdmi 2, then if you switch from the xbox to watch tv and return to the xbox the xbox will reboot.

This is a known problem on lower quality cables because they are missing a ground. This cable can be modified, but you have to crack open the casing, and solder in an additional wire. This is not a tv or setup problem. Its a known issue and you can easily find more info on it on the net.

This problem makes it very difficult to pause a game for long periods and return to it. So i have to give this a low review, because a cable either completely works, or it doesn't work at all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to add audio to HDMI Xbox, March 18, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I bought my first Xbox I couldn't believe that it didn't come with a head phone jack. What would it have cost the manufacturer? Maybe 5 cents? Unless your monitor comes with an audio out, and what HDMI or DVI monitor does, I guess Microsoft figures you don't need sound at all. What is even sadder, Microsoft doesn't provide an add-on adapter that you can buy from them. They charge plenty of bucks to buy a pet for your avatar, but you can't buy audio for your machine! Thankfully, for the cost of a good hamburger, this adapter takes care of all the Xbox audio shortcomings. After connecting your monitor via the HDMI port, just plug this adapter into the port normally occupied by the cable that comes with your Xbox, connect your stereo headphones and you'll hear your game in all of its glory. Soon, you'll forget that there ever was a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for turtle beach headset-works perfectly, April 26, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought a turtle beach headset (wired) and wanted to keep using my HDMI hookup for my TV. Well I needed this for the job, and it does the job perfectly. Just plugged it into my xbox, plugged my turtles into the audio side, and I had sound.

A little annoying that I had to do this in the first place, but not the product's fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended, September 9, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this (an audio adapter for Xbox 360) along with this 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2 RCA Stereo Female Cable (6 inches) to hear the console's sounds through my headphone or my speaker.
This only transfers audio though; I still connect my Xbox to my TV via an HDMI cable. Most Xbox 360 comes with something that looks like the previous audio adapter but if you plug it in, it in fact covers up the HDMI port. This is because the adapter that comes with the Xbox 360 is a composite AV adapter (with the yellow port for video, the red and white for stereo audio). This adapter covers up the HDMI port to remind the user that the adapter already carries video.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reboot Issue; Don't waste your money on poorly wired product, November 9, 2011
This has the dreaded reboot issue just like every 3rd party dongle. If you're unfamiliar, what it does is reboot your XBox if you have both an HDMI cable (for video) and this dongle plugged in for optical audio (maybe for your Turtle Beach headphones or home theater system) at the same time, and THEN try to switch inputs or shut the TV off. I found it very irritating whenever I wanted to pause a game and turn the TV off to avoid burn in or switch over to cable to see what's going on with the hockey game or whatever. The Xbox would always reset when I did this. This is caused by a wire they left in that should have been taken out. Not a HUGE issue but it's pretty annoying it had to shut it off every time I wanted to go do something really quick.

(note: everything else does work fine if you don't care about rebooting/ if you never shut the TV off or switch inputs anyway)

Now like I said, only 3rd party dongles are wired like this. So if you want to avoid this you'll have to buy a genuine Microsoft branded product which can be expensive since they don't sell them anymore. HOWEVER, after a bit of research I found another one that's much cheaper at $2.79 and doesn't have the reset issue. It's a Monoprice branded one.

Link:
Ok, can't put link on here so just google:
"Monoprice RCA / Toslink Audio Adapter for Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Slim"

You can also crack it open and take out a certain wire to fix it, but why waste your time on a badly wired product when you can just buy a cheaper, correctly wired one from Monoprice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my turtle beaches, September 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I use these for my turtle beach x12 headset and it is perfect.Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound

1.0 out of 5 stars You don't need this, the cable you have will work. Just pop off the cover..., February 6, 2011
Patrick Niemeyer (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Read similar instructions elsewhere, but that is the gist of it. I wasted an hour driving around trying to find one of these when I realized that I couldn't get audio out from my projector. After giving up and getting ready to order one I found posts telling me that I could just use a screwdriver to pop off the cover of the cable that comes with it and it would then fit into the slot alongside the hdmi cable. It took 5 minutes and it works perfectly. It's not hard and what you find inside is a metal enclosure, so you're not going to have to worry about re-covering it.

Just use a screwdriver, hit the seam with a hammer lightly to get it started, and then pry it off....

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy fix to XBOX and PX21 headset issues, December 28, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased this product because my PX21 headset would not work properly with my XBOX. The first problem I had was I could not use HDMI and the headsets big connector. Then when I finally got both of those connected the picture would only come through in 1080i. The only solution was to ditch the component cables and buy this device. Now I just connect it to the XBOX, and plug the audio cords into this, and the HDMI into the Xbox. Since buying this device, now I can listen to the XBOX either through the headset (games) or through the tv (movies). It really has made it much easier owning the Turtle Beach headset (which I do not recommend for the Xbox anyways). If you have any problems pairing the Xbox with the PX21's, this is the way to fix it.

Gen RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 + Slim