Customer Discussions > Elizabeth Street forum

Audio Dictionary

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2011 5:23:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2011 5:40:41 AM PDT
Hi!, I have a niece with a brain disorder that causes her to have difficulity ennunciating words correctly. Is there some way to use a audio dictionary so when she highlites a word she will hear the audio sound of it?

Any Help appreciated, Jim M

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 1:25:24 PM PST
Merismopedia says:
If she has a Kindle with audio, it will "read" to her, and she could move the cursor from word to word. I think it would be hard to keep up with the reader, though. Maybe there is a way to have only highlighted words read aloud. Call Amazon Customer Service and ask.

In case you don't know this, public libraries have special equipment for those with disabilities, all provided at no charge. They have "talking books" for the blind and many other things. My MIL died of ALS and in the last couple of months of her life her ability to speak grew less and less. The library provided something similar to what the famous physicist Stephen Hawkings (who also has ALS) uses; a speech synthesizer. Another service is for shut-ins; library patrons who are disabled and have difficulty getting to the library can order books through the library's card catalog online. The books are mailed to the patron with pre-paid postage to return them; it's like getting movies from NetFlix but costs nothing. So check out your library for your niece. I hope they can help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Elizabeth Street forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  May 16, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elizabeth Street: A novel based on true events
Elizabeth Street: A novel based on true events by Laurie Fabiano (Paperback - June 17, 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,547)