Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Questions & Answers
Polk Audio PSW111 Subwoofer (Single, Black)
by Polk Audio
4.4 out of 5 stars (157)
$219.95
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 questions
vote
Maybe. One of the primary purposes of the receiver is amplification and volume control. When a receiver is used to power a set of speakers, the volume control on the receiver is used to adjust the volume of the speakers. If that receiver also has a subwoofer output, the volume of the subwoofer output is adjusted at the same time that the main speakers volume is adjusted. That way the sub's volume always stays relative to the main speakers volume. Crank up the receiver, the sub and speakers get loud together. Turn down the volume, the sub and speakers get quiet together. If you eliminate the receiver you have to find some other way to adjust the sub's voume (the TV's volume will be controled by the TV). Most TV's have a regular audio line output - the signal level is fixed. A few TV's also have a variable line output - the signal level that the TV outputs through the audio line ouput will get louder or quieter depending on what the volume level of the TV is set to. If you connected a TV that has a fixed volume line output to the PSW111's line input then the sub would always play at a fixed volume (though you could manually adjust the volume constantly with the volume switch on the back of the PSW111 - that would get old real fast). If your TV has a variable line output then the sub's volume would be adjusted relative to the TV's volume. FYI, I have a Samsung 26" LCD that only has a regular line out. I connected it to my PSW111 and the sub played fine - at a fixed volume level - no matter how loud or quiet the TV was. Now, if your TV has speaker outputs that opens up another option. You could feed the TV's left/right speaker outputs into the PSW111's speaker inputs, then feed the PSW111's speaker outputs to your RM85's left/right speakers. In this case since the sub is getting it's input signal directly from the speaker wires the sub should automatically "sense" the louder volume and adjust the sub's volume accordingly. My TV doesn't have speaker outputs so I can't test this, but it should work just fine. So, from best to worst, my recommendations are: 1) Use the TV's variable line out if it has one (it should be labeled as such), connect it to the sub's line in. 2) Use the TV's speaker outputs if it has them, connect them to the sub, then connect the sub's speaker outputs to your RM85s. 3) Buy a receiver with a sub output. 4) Use the TV's regular "fixed" line out, the sub will work but you won't have any volume control other than the knob on the back of the sub. Just curious, how are you powering your RM85's? Matt Edit: I uploaded four new user photo's of the PSW111 on the product's page.
Jan 29, 2010 by mmc
vote
Yes it is powered. Wattage is 300watts. It takes RCA input for signal.
Dec 13, 2014 by DEV S.
votes
hey, Cal! ..Love my Paradigm studio 60's, love my Paradigm centers, but as much as I love the Polk 505 sub in my larger living room, the Polk psw 111 is probably one of the best value's in audio today. Tight, accurate bass, no plosives and no listener fatique. It is just spectacular with music. No knock on Paradigm , they are a great company...but after 40 years in the entertainment industry, I gotta tell ya, there are some speakers that do rise above their price tag-this is one!
Feb 26, 2012 by Ryan Cote
votes
Hope this helps: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW111B/Polk-Audio-PSW111.html?tp=187&awcp=1t1&awcr=28833231803&awdv=c&awkw=polk+psw+111&awmt=p&awnw=g
Jul 29, 2015 by Sue K. Lieber
votes
No
Jul 30, 2015 by Doug
votes
I am not an expert but I would think it would be suitable for any system that could have a sub
Jul 21, 2015 by J. Coladarci
votes
I am not sure of the sonos play 5 connectivity. This subwoofer can be connected to almost any source whether wires or plugs. Best option is to see the back of this unit and it's connectivity and if possible pair it to your sonos play 5. The subwoofer is an exceptional piece of equipment and worth the $$. Sorry I couldn't help more ~~
Jul 9, 2015 by Dane
votes
You will need a tuner/amplifier to give you enough power to drive the speakers and subwoofer. You PC will connect to the Tuner / Amp with a USB cable, an it should have all the connections on the back for speakers and subwoofer. You can probably get a good used late model tuner amp on Amazon for less than $100. Audiofiles are always up grading an sell what they consider outdated equipment good equipment cheap. IMPORANT If you are streaming video from Google or Netflicks, you will need a tuner/amp capable of handling video with a HDMI connection on the back and a HDMI cable. You will also need good speaker cables.
Apr 13, 2015 by Kinmont Willie
votes
I don't know but, I would not buy this subwoofer as the one I purchased failed to work very shortly after my purchase.
Apr 13, 2015 by James Gray
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers