5.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to set up, but stellar sound
Published on December 8, 2009 by M. Ferro

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great sound after all.
Published on February 19, 2010 by Steven C. Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to set up, but stellar sound, December 8, 2009
This review is from: Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 - Phono preamplifier [Electronics] (Electronics)
I bought this based on a recommendation from Stereophile Magazine. I saw the previous review about the loud hum and assumed that there was some sort of ground loop problem in their setup. When I got the unit and set it up, I was dismayed to hear a loud hum in my setup as well. After some experimenting I was able to eliminate the hum. Now the unit is dead quiet and sounds great.

At first I set up the turntable using the grounding post on the pre-amp. After hearing the hum, I grounded the turntable directly to the amplifier, but had the signal running through the pre-amp, and now everything is fine. I suspect more modern turntables (and more modern amps) won't have this problem.

I highly recommend this unit. It sounds noticeably better than the phono pre-amp in my ancient Sansui 1000a.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRICKY TO SET UP???, December 12, 2010
I had my phono section go out of my Yamaha C-70 about 4 years ago. I used this system in my shop. For power I was running 2 Dynaco ST-70's in monoblock configuration. My turntable is an AR-XA. I bought this preamp because it was under a hundred bucks and I figured with Audio Technica being so heavily in the phono cartridge field it would be decent for my shop. Right out of the box it played flawlessly. I have never experienced any hum out of this unit. Right now I am using it with my Sony PS-X50 and my computer to put some vinyl on my Ipod. I am using a Denon DL-160 for my cartridge. For a secondary system or a cheap way to copy vinyl to digital I highly recommend this product. As for a reviewer that thought it was tricky to set up. There is no set up to it!!! No Adjustments whatsoever. It is as plug and play as you can get.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so great sound after all., February 19, 2010
I have been involved with high end audio for many years. I have a Dynaco PAS3X that I use as a pre-amp normally. This AT unit was actually quite disappointing as far as the sound quality was concerned. It sounded cold and veiled out of the box, so I gave it 24 hours to warm up. No change at all. Still cold and veiled. The noise level is not obtrusive, and there was no hum, so at least the product seemed to be working correctly.

If you have nothing but a phono section within your receiver, I could see this unit perhaps representing a slight upgrade to the system's performance. Certainly if you have no phono section at all and want to play records, it's serviceable. It is NOT, I repeat NOT a high end unit in any way, IMO. The difference with the 12AX7 preamp phono section compared to the AT unit was night and day. I will only use it as a backup section if my other preamp needs repairs.

On the one hand, for the money, it may not be a bad purchase since it is inexpensive. But don't kid yourself; this is NOT a competitive high-end phono pre-amp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for the price, October 7, 2013
Excellent product for a budget preamplifier. Product was in excellent condition and arrived promptly. Worked well for a budget preamplifier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great for the Money, February 17, 2011
Robert S. Ottaway (North Bay, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Needed a phono stage, bought this because it was under fifty clams (elsewhere). It works great. Using a 30+ year old (but in flawless shape) turntable and no hum issues. Sound is great, especially with new vinyl.

EDIT: 04/07/2011 Still enjoying this little guy. Really gives great sound, only thing to note is that you might want to still use a headphone amp with this if you don't have it going into a real amp. I have it going into a pair of M-Audio AV40s, so they provide the amplification. For the headphone out on these speakers the volume level is weak at best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but, February 15, 2011
This is a respectably sounding piece for the price, but it does have an Achilles heel. Most phono preamps output at a voltage of 300mV. This one outputs at 150mV. What that translates into is a few more dB's on the volume knob for most people, but if you intend to rip your records to digital files, then the elevated sound floor is going to limit what you're capable doing.

If you're just running it to a receiver, enjoy. If you've got a hi-fi standalone amp you might want to look elsewhere, as you'll be noticing the noise floor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins the vinyl music listening experience., November 30, 2010
I have owned this phono pre-amp for about 2 years now and i have to say this thing is the reason why i have not been able to listen to vinyl on my new Pro-ject Debut iii turntable. It produces more noise then any other a/v device i have ever heard. its louder then the sound coming from the vinyl. It doesn't have enough pre-amplification for the phono signal i still have to crank my a/v receiver up high to hear it well enough. It is poorly made with cheap parts. $100 i would not pay $5 for it new. If you are an audiophile and music lover DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

4.0 out of 5 stars The condition of your vinyl says it all., January 15, 2011
This is a very basic preamp and if you have a good sounding setup it will produce the audio that is on the recording.
I personally use a Rotel RP3000 turntable(better than you think) with an old Audio-technica DR750 cartridge and the only thing that decides the quality of any given recording that i can hear is, the condition of the vinyl.
People saying that they get "hum" from from the AT-PEQ3 have some sort of grounding issue in there home or the system.
Make sure you do not have a grounding conflict with your stereo(more than one ground can be bad), do not daisy chain surge protectors or power supplies. Loose ground wires are no good, be certain that the wires are tight. Changing the outlet can be expensive but the seller or landlord is responsible for this and needs to fix this by LAW in most residential areas!
Good Luck with your purchase of the cheapest of Audiophile grade Phono preamps that I am aware of.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget preamp, September 17, 2011
M.R. (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I can't believe some of the negative reviews here. People must either not be connecting their components properly or else they got a bum unit. Mine has operated flawlessly for six months. I hooked the ground wire from my old Dual 1228 turntable to the preamp and there's no hum at all. Records sound smooth, clear and musical, despite the budget (but still good) AT-92E cartridge and looooooooong interconnects between the AT-PEQ3 and my '70s Kenwood receiver. I couldn't be happier with this preamp, as I needed a cheap and cheerful preamp in close proximity to my turntable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it's suppose to, December 9, 2009
I own AT-PEQ3 and the ART DJ model and Rega and folks they barely have any difference in sound. The ART DJ models have more controls (like a gain control), but with my AT440Mla cartridge and my Denon DP300F turntable they all work flawlessly. Hey that's the facts, and I have no idea why the rest of the bad reviews came out that way. I will say the ART DJ is a hit and miss situation, as one I have works great and the other is about 7db down on the output (same gain).