‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect budget-friendly for whatever your needs are, January 25, 2010
This review is from: Audio-Technica AT875R Short Shotgun Microphone (Electronics)
Let's say that you -like me - have a blog and you post some very interesting info on gadgets. Let's assume that you bought (like me) a cool screen flow capture software like ScreenFlow but you are a bit disappointed by the audio your computer records via its built-in microphone. Let's also assume that you have a cool high definition camcorder like the Canon VIXIA HFS10 and you would like to enhance the audio recording capabilities via an external mic. And, finally, let's say you have only 200 bucks left after holiday season for any additional gadget you might want to buy until Father's Day. And you heard that shotgun condenser microphones would match all your expectations but they are expensive. Do you have a problem with this or not ?
Actually, no, you don't. Here enters the Audio Technica AT875 - the perfect match for your requirements.
I was in a similar dilemma one month ago until I ran into some review pages on the net and comparisons with much more expensive condenser microphones like the Neumanns, Sankens, Schoeps or Sennheisers. The AT875 kept extremely well with all these professional-grade condenser microphones. And it costs under 200 dollars !

The AT875 is a pro-grade shotgun condenser microphone, compact (only 7 inches), very well built. It is a short shotgun condenser microphone that exhibits the sound quality and performance of larger, higher-priced shotgun microphones. If you google it you might run into some interesting audio samples on the net, or you might follow my blog link (see my profile) to listen some samples made by me. Since it is a short microphone, stays out of the frame when mounted on a camcorder, and has an incredible off-axis noise rejection. This is especially useful if you record in a room that has echo - you will be amazed that the mic does not capture the echo and the sound of the recording is pretty similar to anechoic recordings. Also because of its rather small dimension does not protrude "in your eyes" if you use it on a desk, for various blogging or video blogging needs.

It has a smooth, and very natural audio reproduction with excellent detail capture. Lacks a bit of bass punch, but this is due to being tailored for a low frequency response that removes unwanted low frequency noise - a built-in "bass rolloff" that you cannot disable. You can always boost (+2 or +3dB) the bass in post prod so, from my point of view, this is not an issue. From this point of view I find the sound very natural and you can easily position the mic at one foot away (on a desk, I mean) and have a perfect recording of your voice.

The only downsize of the mic is that it requires phantom power to operate. 11 to 52V phantom power will do. Also, you will have to buy a XLR cable because the mic has a standard XLR output. This might increase your expenses once you realize that you need an XLR interface with your computer. For my desk-based recording needs I have an E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 Recording Interface for Mac that provides phantom power for microphones, with two inputs for mic/ Hi-Z with separate preamps.

For use with a camcorder, the AT875R integrates seamlessly with some of the smaller professional cameras. If your camera does not have XLR inputs, you might consider an universal microphone adapter for XLR. Something like the budget Beachtek DX-A2S Dual XLR Compact Audio Adapter (ok for all camcorders) will do the trick (I use it with my HFS10. Please remember that this is a MONOPHONIC microphone. You need two to get stereo recordings, or you may mix down on both output channels.

The AT875R is probably the best bang for the buck that you might run into in this category (pro condenser mini-shotgun with balanced output and phantom power). In the box you will find a pouch, a mount adapter for stands and another thread adaptor for tripod mount. A wind shield is also included. More info and pictures on my weblog.

I rate this with 5 stars. It is an amazing product that does not cost too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not ask for more., May 10, 2010
I am a freelance videographer and I got this mic to compliment my Canon XHA1. It is an awesome mic, it is super sensitive, picks up long range sounds. I just finished doing a short shot outside and the sound was very clean. I did very little post on it. I also used it for voice overs and the sound was perfect, zero noise. Great mic for a great price, I have used higher priced mics and not gotten as good of results as the 875r.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great microphone, very pleasant sounding, March 11, 2014
Adam (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 8:56 Mins

In this review I go over several different microphones to give you an idea of how they sound in comparison to each other.

Microphones tested:
Audio Technica AT875R
Koss SB/45
MXL Studio 24 USB
Blue Yeti THX USB

I've used the Audio Technica AT875R for a while now, and for the money it's a superb mic. It does a great job of rejecting any sound which originates outside of the very directional pickup area. It really shines when it's about 2.5' or closer to the subject. When it's further than that the drop-off in level is noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mic., June 25, 2012
The mic. works very well with my Canon XA-10 Camcorder. Both the camcorder and my audio mixer put out phantom power so the lack of a battery is not a problem.

The sound quality is very good - far superior to the built in mic. on the camcorder. The super-cardiod pickup pattern does a good job of rejecting sounds from the sides.

It has a narrow shaft so it does not fit in the XA-10's built in mic. mount. It comes with a pair of O-rings to help mount it, but they aren't thick enough to keep the mic. in place without wobbling. I cut up a mouse pad and wrapped it around the mic. and it fits and works well but looks a bit ugly. It would have been nice if the mic. had come with some sort of adapter sleeve to mount it in a standard size mic. mount other than hardware store O-rings.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well and quality workmanship, November 23, 2012
Not sure what else one can I say after many reviews. The product works well and gives a good balanced sound for video recording. We're using it on a boom-pole to record dialog. There are superb reviews done by pros please read them. It makes all the difference HOW you use this mic. There are so many things to consider and you really need to learn more about audio or ask an audio recording person what are the best way to use it for your requirements.

IE: never, ever mount this or any other mics on a camcorder !
You will pickup background noise and echo.
Point the mic from above down in an angle to minimize the ambient noise and rear pickup. It all depends on your location and what you're recording. If you don't have an audio person or helper, you may have no choice but to mount it on the camera. You will not be happy with the result and it's not the mic fault.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great On The Radio, November 25, 2012
I'm a public radio reporter and use this shotgun mic for feature stories. For the price and build, I'm very happy with it. It's a quality microphone. I use this mic with a TASCAM DR-100mkII 2-Channel Portable Digital Recorder utilizing the recorder's phantom power. This microphone is great for on-location recordings.

It is quite a bit shorter than the other Audio-Technica shotgun mics I've used and that does have an impact on how close you need to be to your interviewee or the sound you're trying to capture. Also, like all shotgun mics, it is very sensitive. So if you're wanting to hold the mic while recording, I suggest purchasing a pistol grip shotgun mount so it doesn't capture your hand movements.

Overall, very happy and enjoy using this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mini shotgun, April 26, 2014
etcwhatever (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
I was torn between the Audio-Technica AT875R and the RODE NTG-2, but after some research I decided on the Audio-Technica. I've used it on a few video shoots now and have been very pleased with its performance, especially for the price. The sound is clean and very directional (as a shotgun should be) and the microphone really is surprisingly small. Do keep in mind that you need phantom power to use this mic – I use a Tascam DR-40 and the two make a very nice portable combination. The mic comes with a few basic accessories – a nice little padded travel pouch, a clip, and a foam cover. You'll need to provide your own cable and if you want a shock mount or "dead cat" wind screen (both of which I'd recommend), you'll need to pick them up separately. For filmmakers looking for an XLR shotgun mic for less than $300, I'd say this is a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar!, November 15, 2013
This mic is awesome. Crystal clear audio when going into a Tascam DR-40 with a high quality XLR cable. Better than the RODE Ntg2 I've used in the past, and cheaper too! If you are considering this mic, get it. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars As directional mic for Choir, August 17, 2012
I bought 2 of these mics for our Church Choir. I know these are short gun mics - but we had a problem that part of the Choir sits near one of the speaker & hence feedback was an issue if we use regular condenser mics. This mic has turned out to be really good. It has the proper directional pickup (does not pickup / very less pickup on the side & behind), it doesn't result in much of feedback issues, the treble voice is very clear. But one issue is on the bass pickup - especially when it is away. Otherwise it is really working fine & I recommend it for others for similar use. You may want (as we are considering) to have separate dynamic microphones for the bass - but care should be taken when mixing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great microphone for interviews, June 6, 2014
For the money, this is a very nice microphone for interviews in noisy environments. It is not a particularly sensitive shotgun, but (maybe because of that) it seems to isolate the subject very well with a rich, coherent sound.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›