5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!
Published on March 11, 2012 by zevstar1

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I had high expectations for this mic, and perhaps I was expecting the same results as a high-end Rode or Sennheiser. It's not that it was bad, it's just that it didn't wow me after reading so much about it. Feels like an entry-level product. I was planning to use it for field recording, but ended up sending it back.
Published 19 months ago by RH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Audio-Technica AT897 Line + Gradient Compact Shotgun Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
This product has very clear sound and does what it is supposed to do. It is much shorter than I thought it would be, only 11" long. Also the provided wind screen will not protect from gusts or even a moderate steady wind, buying a Zeppelin would be a good idea if you plan on shooting outside. This microphone also has a low-frequency roll-off switch which works very well at diminishing ambient noises. For the low budget film maker this is a very good choice, even when compared to the higher end microphones this mic holds up, with its small size for staying out of the shot and excellent and warm sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Professional Mic for a Budget Price, May 14, 2012
The microphone itself is made of sturdy metal, with an unscrew-able bottom portion for a single AAA battery for power. The quality of this microphone is really beautiful, and could be used on camera, as part of a dual-system setup, or even for desktop recording. The microphone also does a great job of blocking out background noise (cardioid pickup pattern), and the audio is crystal clear. I wish there was an On/Off switch on the mic - it's a bit annoying to remove the battery after each use, but that's easily overlooked due to the the great mic quality for the price. Top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Zoom H4n. Very happy., October 21, 2012
Probably a five star microphone actually. I'm really happy. The only reason I gave it four stars is I don't have enough experience to compare it to the other options. It's not small, but not really very big either.

I bought this and the Azden Universal Shock-mount Shotgun Microphone Holder ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EW1LLG/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 ) with the GLS Audio 25 foot Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Microphone Cables - 25' Balanced Mike Snake Cord - Single ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JJQMD8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01 ) to capture cleaner interview vocals in a loud environment at the some time as getting the full sound on the H4n. No complaints, except that I should have bought two for full stereo input on the second set of channels. The case is nice, the recording level is good, the signal is clean. It takes a little more input gain (record level) than the normal onboard mic's but it's not problematic at all. If you want to mod the case foam, you can fit a couple more very small items in there, which I may do when I decide exactly what I'm going to be using regularly.

In the case is a battery, the mic, the foam wind muff (not really effective for outdoors, you will need a good Dead Cat or similar), the mic stand holder, and a 5/8" to 3/8" threaded adapter. They all have their own little spot in the foam, so I take the battery out every time, for longer life.

The Azden mic holder came with extra rubber gaskets (nice) and it holds the AT897 mic perfectly on the camera hot shoe. if your XLR cable is really light, or it doesn't exert too much force (don't let it hang freely without some kind of support), then it stay's nicely centered, and secure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, May 5, 2012
When I purchased this mic I never intended it to be my primary shotgun mic. I planned on continuing to rely on renting more expensive mics, and saving up to purchase a high end unit (well ok, I still am saving for a high end unit). I really just wanted something I could take into extreme environments that would sound reasonably good and if I dropped it in a river, or off a cliff it wouldn't be a big deal because its so cheap. After using this mic on about 40 shoot days I am really impressed, this mic turns out to be a far better purchase than I thought it would be. The AT897 has become my "go to" mic for everything from shooting rock climbing to documentary interviews. Its reproduction of the speaker's vocal quality is very good, the noise cancelation is wonderful (its saved my butt several times!) and its range is acceptable in many situations.

In my experience using it I would say that the AT897 has a moderate bias towards lower frequencies. Also, it would be nice if it had better range, I would not use this mic for shooting wider dialogue scenes. Other than that, I would say that for its price point its a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A total Godsend for me., August 29, 2011
An incredibly accurate mic with low noise and a great cutoff. Right out of the box and into a friends Canon AVCHD via a hosa XLR to 1/8 in adapter and I was rocking with excellent quality, even in a super noisy room. I was still able to hear my subject beautifully without almost ANY white noise.

Do not delay, buy now. Do not buy the cheaper the models, you will want to shoot yourself. Pay the money for a great and very handy mic.
I'll probably still pick up an Hn4, but for now, I can at least be productive without having to worry about embarrassing myself infront of my clients.

Thank you for making such a great tech tool guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro quality, affordable pricing, December 30, 2012
TriggerHappy (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
Clean, true sound. Great at reducing surrounding ambient noise, other than in front, of course.
Excellent build and finish. All metal, yet very lightweight. Made in Japan.
Comes in a nice case; way too big though. (Obviously one size case for all the longer shotgun mics)
The nice thing is, you can cut out the foam in the extra space and put other small accessories and store it in the case.
Even the mic stand adapter is quality construction.
The supplied wind screen helps cut down moderate wind or close breathing noises but you will still need a deadcat or zepplin: For me, it is quite useful as a protective cushion for the mic more than a wind diffuser.
In the similar price range: I have also used a few Rode shotgun mics and I think this AT has a slightly "cleaner, crisper" sound pickup than the Rodes, although not as sensitive at picking up sounds from far away, in comparison.
In the higher price range: I have used Sennheiser and Sony, and to be honest, I don't notice much difference in audio quality or sensitivity with those that are 2X-3X more the price!
Then again, I am not recording anything critical or scientific. Just human voices and ambient sounds.
Listening through AT and Panasonic studio headphones on a Zoom H4.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great shotgun mic for the price, May 31, 2013
Michael (United States) - See all my reviews
Granted, I've not used a $2,500 Sennheiser, but for my purposes (recording dual system for a Web series), the sound is great for dialogue and environmental noise with a very good rejection of off-axis sources. The construction seems sturdy enough, and I'm happy that it comes with a nice case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Microphone, January 20, 2015
This is a great microphone. A lot of the "comparison" videos between this mic and other, more expensive mics, seems to show that the more expensive mics "sound better" because of a slight boost in the higher frequencies. This tricks the listener into thinking "the more expensive mic is better". In reality, every mic is calibrated differently with regard to frequency response. A simple boost to a particular frequency, within your DAW, is enough to add whatever frequency you are hearing in the "more expensive" mic, and thus make both mics sound identical. Basically, this mic is flawless and sounds amazing. I've used it for interviews, guitars, everything really. I like the way it is tuned, and pairs well with my pre amps. THe price tag is a great feature as well :) You will no be displeased with this mic at all. A Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, November 16, 2012
Oscar Moreno (Fort Lauderdale, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The sound out of this mic is magnificent especially when conducting interviews. I plug it directly into a tascam dr-40 to record. The pre amps on the Dr 40 are fairly clean but I'd recommend that you also get a juicedlink to get even cleaner gains. Satisfied overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, September 10, 2013
It is a very good mike for not too much money. I find the sound to be very crisp and clean.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›