Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
- Exceptional audio quality for professional monitoring and mixing
- Collapsible design ideal for easy portability and convenient storage
- Closed-back cushioned earcup design creates an outstanding seal for maximum isolation
- Adjustable padded headband for comfort during long mixing/recording sessions
- Single-sided coiled cable terminates to gold-plated mini-plug with screw-on 1/4" adapter
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
style: Coiled Cable | Package Type: Standard Packaging
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 3:36 Mins|
This is my new all-time favorite pair of headphones. I've gone through my Beats by Dre phase. I've gone through my in-ear buds phase [high school]. I've been sent numerous pairs of headphones to review for my YouTube channel. Only 1 has received a 10/10 with an outstanding price/performance ratio. And that's the M50s.
Enjoy the video!
PS - You should totally subscribe to the MKBHD YouTube channel =]
The ATHM50 series of headphones have a history of being "The best monitor headphones ever", and after owning two (Three now), I've come to first hand experience the unbelievable sound that only Audio-Technica is capable of. Now, I've had a GOOD few pair of headphones (ranging from $20-$150) from the past 7 years I've been interested in music, sound design, and finally sound engineering, so I've had a good run with plenty of different brands of headphones before buying the ATHM50's. From the day they arrived, to the day that they died, I've fallen in love with these Headphones.
I initially bought them because I wanted to be able to hear EVERY SINGLE THING in a song, and these babies do just that. The tiniest sounds in music can be heard with these headphones, and you'll be simply ASTONISHED at what you miss with other headphones. I'll breakdown the important aspects of these headphones below.
- Highs: Crispier than Krispy Kreme Donughts. Wow, that was a bad reference... But in any case, the Highs are crisp, clear, and laser precise. Nothing escapes these headphones.
- Mids: Vocals are ESPECIALLY good with these headphones. Mids are very warm an feel nice against the other amazing sounds being resonated from the ATHM50's
- Lows: As a producer and sound designer... These things are AMAZING FOR BASS.Read more ›
First off, I got this pair of headphones about a year ago, and I got them for about $130, tax included. When I got them, they sounded pretty good; just about as good as my pair of skullcany ink'd earbuds (those earbuds are pretty awesome even though they do break after about three months). Before purchasing the headphones, I read a couple reviews about how this pair of headphones need to be "burnt in". I did some research on google, and found out what "burning in" was (basically you plug in the headphones and play white noise/ pink noise for a certain number of hours). So I burnt in my headphones for about 60 ish hours (I wasn't really counting- I was just playing the noise while I labored over homework). To my surprise, they sounded better after that. The m50 headphones actually gets better as it ages (the voices get crisper, the sounds sound more natural).
Honestly, I love this pair of headphones (they sound way better than my (5th) pair of skullcandies now) for several reasons:
- I don't feel them after a while. It feels like I'm just plainly not wearing them
- The material's comfortable (I have really flat straight hair and an average head) and isn't too big or small.
- The sound quality is amazing. I'm not kidding when I say that the voices are so much crisper. The sound quality is really balanced too. The skullcandies tend to put more emphasis on the well, heavier side of music (beats, etc). A classical piece sounds as good as say a deadmau5 song though the m50's (which is pretty darn good).Read more ›
I have been searching for a replacement on and off for a while. Finally, I read enough reviews and jumped on eBay and scored a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 for under $100 shipped.
Without burn-in, I would say these compare really well (at par) with Grado SR80. Although I think the sound stage presented by SR80 is wider may be due to the open design. M50 with the closed back design seems a tad closed in. But, nevertheless, the sound right out of the box is really good.
I can say a good pair of headphones can certainly beat loudspeakers that cost 10x even 20x. My Dunlavy SCII with Velodyne DD15 will shy away in comparison with M50. Very neutral and detailed sound stage. The fitting is a bit tight. I plan to stretch it out using my desktop PC while doing some burn-in.
Initial comparison with Grado back to back, I noticed the following:
1. At same volume level, M50 plays louder than SR80
2. Sound isolation of M50 is pretty good, plan to use it on airplane
3. The sound stage of SR80 is wider
4. M50 has better bass than SR80
5. Highs and mids are very close with slight preference for M50
6. Fit and comfort of M50 is better but I hope it will loosen up a bit after use
7. Build quality is much better for M50 - obviously SR80 foam cushion is deteriorating after a few years of use
I'll update this review when the burn-in is complete.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I have a pair of bose soundlinks and they are not even close to the ATH m50s. The m50s are definitely not as comfortable as say a bose or senneheiser but they sound so much better... Read morePublished 10 hours ago by Amazon Customer
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones are an exceptional pair of headphones for all music and media lovers. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Amazon Customer
These headphones have lasted me 3 years and they are still going strong. I've put so many hours on them, it's surprising that they still maintain such a high quality of sound. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Amazon Customer
Sounds absolutely fantastic, and I love their look. I wish they didn't seem to flimsy though.Published 7 days ago by Nik Schoons
these have good sound quality, but perhaps not great for an office environment if the goal is to block out noise from some of your peers. The cord is a constant tangle.Published 8 days ago by Amazon Client 89121
If you are thinking about Beats, think again and get these instead. Especially if you need the extra long cord.Published 9 days ago by Amazon Customer
These are great headphones at a great price point. There are better headphones, yes, but these perform fantastically well from almost any source I've tried them from. Read morePublished 9 days ago by SM1983
These things are like ear sex. Make sure you have a good sound card or audio device, because anything other than the quality that these guys can produce is a waste of time and... Read morePublished 11 days ago by phil