Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:05 Mins

Published on May 4, 2010 by Ken

3.0 out of 5 stars For the Price, You Get What You Pay For
The Audio-Technica ATR-35S lavaliere microphone is a higher than average quality microphone. The benefits of the microphone are that the small microphone can clip onto a shirt, or tie with the provided clip. The battery compartment and on/off switch has an additional clip on it to attach to your belt, or pant waist.

The overall sound quality for the microphone...
Published on January 19, 2010 by Sean Paradis

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of on board microphone vs. ATR3350 microphone on Canon HF200, May 4, 2010
Ken "Travel Blogger" (SF Bay Area, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
Length:: 5:05 Mins

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lapel mic for the price, August 28, 2009
The Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone appears to be a nearly identical replacement lavalier mic from the recently discontinued Audio-Technica ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone.

Reading some blog advice about video podcasting and playing around a bit with making YouTube videos, "sound" in video is usually the part that makes video quality bad. So I was looking for a reasonably price lapel mic to use. The ATR-3350 is quite inexpensive considering that you can easily spend $200 for a professional model lapel mic.

If you read some of the "1" (hate it) reviews from the ATR-35S, they pretty much all related to "low volume issues". You may see some similar reviews here as time goes on. Plugging the ATR-3350 directly into my Dell laptop PC mic in or camera mic in, I also thought the volume is not high enough. However, plugging it into my video camera, it sounded great. Just the right volume. Not too loud or soft.

I went to the support site for ATR and asked my question on volume on my laptop PC mic in. Support on the ATR site was good. I got a quick response back on my question about volume on my laptop. The advice was "Look for MIC Boost in the Advanced Controls for microphone in the Volume Control window of Voice recording under the Voice tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties of Windows to boost the level of a microphone. (Windows XP example given.)".

I'm giving it "5" for the product considering value for the price and the support I got. I'm sure the quality does not get anywhere near professional mics with XLR inputs. Those mics are in a different class. Certainly not in this price range.

Be careful if you have a rolling chair and use this mic near your PC. The cord is thin and probably easy to make the mic "nonfunctional" if you were to roll over the cable with all your weight pinching the thin cord under a wheel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Check, March 20, 2011
Length:: 1:59 Mins

Quick video to hear for yourself the sound quality of the mic. Recorded indoors in a barn, don't ask me why I chose this location. Something to note: The sound recorded by the ATR3350 was noticeably louder than the Canon's built in mic. I tried to balance the volumes during the editing process. Enjoy the video.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the Price, You Get What You Pay For, January 19, 2010
Sean Paradis (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The overall sound quality for the microphone is astounding considering the price, averaging at about $25, often times less. The material used to fabricate the microphone feels sturdy, and that it will last. Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound, and the microphone itself. The 20 foot cord helps when you are walking around a room, with the recorder set on a table. Granted, just be sure not to walk too far, as to not pull the recorder off the table. However, I do have a few minor complaints.

When I use this microphone with my voice recorder, I always feed the microphone through my shirt, and have my recorder in my pocket. When feeding 20 feet of cord through your shirt, it often times will get tangled, and will feel uncomfortable under your shirt. What I normally do with the extra cord is tie it off with a piece of Velcro. That way, you only have to feed a small bundle of cord through your shirt, rather than 20 feet of loose cord.

The last compliant I have is a major one, and there really isn't anything that can be done to fix it. On the battery compartment, there is no way of knowing how much battery life is left, or if it's even still working. There's only an on and off switch, that's it. Not a red light when it's on or a battery indicator. If you begin recording, you need to be sure you will have enough of a battery life to complete the recording.

There are two options to help with this, but not solve it. Either always start each session with a new battery, or record in short sessions. The battery required are the small flat batteries, used in watches, laser pointers, etc, and are inexpensive. What I recommend is to replace the battery after a day of sessions. The second option is that after each session, listen back, and make sure everything was recorded. When doing this, it's best to record shorter sessions, in case you should happen to lose anything due to the battery dying.

This is a major hassle though having to do this. I would much rather have a battery light indicator and not have to deal with this. Highly recommend that when you are looking for a microphone, either find one that doesn't require batteries, or, one that has a battery indicator. For this product, I give 3 out 5 stars. 3 stars for the sound quality, and taking of 2 for the battery issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio-Technica ATR3350 Lavalier Microphone, February 28, 2013
Length:: 4:24 Mins

I try my best to let the product speak for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, October 11, 2009
T. McNeil (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased this mic in order to do interviews and video presentations and it has been excellent. Have a professional Shure wireless set up as well, but have found this to be an great alternative when I need to move quickly. It allows me to use my Sony HD handycam with a minimum of additional equipment and allows for a fast set up. Have used the mic for approximately 10 hours and the battery has not yet run out. Be sure to purchase additional button batteries when you purchase this, though. They always run out right when you don't have them on hand. L-45 batteries are really inexpensive. I purchased 50 for under $10 here on Amazon. Would definitely recommend this mic as a primary or backup mic for any prosumer set up where the subject isn't going to be moving around (interviews, training, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Battery / Low Noise Mystery Resolved!, July 31, 2013
So when I received this Microphone, it was amazing! Then i left it on all night and after reading reviews I had a whole box off 10 batteries ready to go. The next day we recorded a session and after putting all the video together my lav mic only worked for the 1st 10 minutes, and it was horrible scratchy low volume sound at that!

So I tried it in different cameras and computers trying to convince myself the sound was ok, it does sound better on some devices vs others. Tried new batteries.. etc

I feel stupid for ordering another mic because i was past the 30 day return limit, but I went ahead and ordered a new one. And it sounds perfect with the battery that came with it! I put the new Mic battery in the Mic that was having noise low sound issues, perfect again!

So a long story short is that they advertise on the page that it takes 2 types of batteries. (CR2 and LR44) The LR44 came with the unit, the CR2 most likely would not fit. Aren't all button batteries the same? No, I figured out the hard way they are not the same. I purchased a 10 pack of Philips LR44. I have 10 batteries that do not power this unit in a sufficient manner.

So make sure you try changing the battery manufacturer before throwing this thing out or returning it.

I saw someone comment that they use Duracell D357 (Energizer 357, Maxwell SR44W) it is 1.55 V and 165 mAh I wonder if the extra 'umph' helps it or hurts it.

The correct battery for this Mic is a Duracell LR44 (Energizer A76, Maxwell LR44) it is 1.5 V and 60 mAh and as I have proved some of them wont work, like the Philips brand LR44.(unless i just happened to get a bad batch of 10 old batteries from Amazon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Device. Big Sound, September 12, 2009
It's a lot of mike for the price. The thin but long cable help making it useful. It's omnidirection; so try not to cough between singing or speaking. The battery is inexpensive too. One can buy a few for a dollar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very good for its price, November 17, 2010
I have to say it seems like a lot of people didn't know what they were getting when they purchased this microphone. This mic will not instantly make your recording better and may not fit your needs. Its a decent, inexpensive microphone (just checked my levels on Final Cut Express, right in the yellow like they should be). I like the cable is generously long (to put it mildly), it allows either you or subject a lot of freedom in where you place your camera and freedom of movement for the subject. Obviously its not the most durable mic, but again you're paying almost a tenth the cost of a pro lav. If you get one that doesn't perform right out of the box, just return it for a refund.
I bought this to make simple presentations with my pentax k7 and my macbook. I am more than satisfied with this inexpensive solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - from 5 stars to 1 - 3 out of 8 of these mics are doo-doo, June 18, 2012
I bought four of these, and they're great. However, one of them has a considerably lower gain than the others, and another one hums if you're not connected to a properly grounded AC supply. They must have some quality control issues at the plant where they make them. Who cares, though? The price is right, and the quality is good.

I connect all four to an audio mixer board. If you plug them in with the 1/4" jacks, you cannot get the gain up loud enough to hear them. You need DI boxes. The least expensive (and actually best) solution is Radio Shack's 1/4" female to XLR male adapter/transformer. At $18, it's a great and unobtrusive DI box. The part number is 274-017C (search on their website using "274017" and it will come up).

The combination of this mic and the DI allows me to interview four people at a time on camera with pro results.

Except for the occasional dud, I have no complaints and would highly recommend these mics for videographers on a budget.

UPDATE:
I needed more, so I bought four more. One of them bursts into white noise intermittantly after awhile. It ruined an interview I did.

All in all, the quality control on these is terrible, and you have a 37% chance of getting a dud - or one that turns out to be a dud when you need it most. I'm going to spend more money and get four decent mics that I can depend on. If you buy one of these mics, good luck.