Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on May 4, 2010
Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
5454 comments|799 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2009
The Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone appears to be a nearly identical replacement lavalier mic from the recently discontinued Audio-Technica ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone.

Reading some blog advice about video podcasting and playing around a bit with making YouTube videos, "sound" in video is usually the part that makes video quality bad. So I was looking for a reasonably price lapel mic to use. The ATR-3350 is quite inexpensive considering that you can easily spend $200 for a professional model lapel mic.

If you read some of the "1" (hate it) reviews from the ATR-35S, they pretty much all related to "low volume issues". You may see some similar reviews here as time goes on. Plugging the ATR-3350 directly into my Dell laptop PC mic in or camera mic in, I also thought the volume is not high enough. However, plugging it into my video camera, it sounded great. Just the right volume. Not too loud or soft.

I went to the support site for ATR and asked my question on volume on my laptop PC mic in. Support on the ATR site was good. I got a quick response back on my question about volume on my laptop. The advice was "Look for MIC Boost in the Advanced Controls for microphone in the Volume Control window of Voice recording under the Voice tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties of Windows to boost the level of a microphone. (Windows XP example given.)".

I'm giving it "5" for the product considering value for the price and the support I got. I'm sure the quality does not get anywhere near professional mics with XLR inputs. Those mics are in a different class. Certainly not in this price range.

Be careful if you have a rolling chair and use this mic near your PC. The cord is thin and probably easy to make the mic "nonfunctional" if you were to roll over the cable with all your weight pinching the thin cord under a wheel.
88 comments|225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2011
Quick video to hear for yourself the sound quality of the mic. Recorded indoors in a barn, don't ask me why I chose this location. Something to note: The sound recorded by the ATR3350 was noticeably louder than the Canon's built in mic. I tried to balance the volumes during the editing process. Enjoy the video.
1010 comments|392 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2010
The Audio-Technica ATR-35S lavaliere microphone is a higher than average quality microphone. The benefits of the microphone are that the small microphone can clip onto a shirt, or tie with the provided clip. The battery compartment and on/off switch has an additional clip on it to attach to your belt, or pant waist.

The overall sound quality for the microphone is astounding considering the price, averaging at about $25, often times less. The material used to fabricate the microphone feels sturdy, and that it will last. Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound, and the microphone itself. The 20 foot cord helps when you are walking around a room, with the recorder set on a table. Granted, just be sure not to walk too far, as to not pull the recorder off the table. However, I do have a few minor complaints.

When I use this microphone with my voice recorder, I always feed the microphone through my shirt, and have my recorder in my pocket. When feeding 20 feet of cord through your shirt, it often times will get tangled, and will feel uncomfortable under your shirt. What I normally do with the extra cord is tie it off with a piece of Velcro. That way, you only have to feed a small bundle of cord through your shirt, rather than 20 feet of loose cord.

The last compliant I have is a major one, and there really isn't anything that can be done to fix it. On the battery compartment, there is no way of knowing how much battery life is left, or if it's even still working. There's only an on and off switch, that's it. Not a red light when it's on or a battery indicator. If you begin recording, you need to be sure you will have enough of a battery life to complete the recording.

There are two options to help with this, but not solve it. Either always start each session with a new battery, or record in short sessions. The battery required are the small flat batteries, used in watches, laser pointers, etc, and are inexpensive. What I recommend is to replace the battery after a day of sessions. The second option is that after each session, listen back, and make sure everything was recorded. When doing this, it's best to record shorter sessions, in case you should happen to lose anything due to the battery dying.

This is a major hassle though having to do this. I would much rather have a battery light indicator and not have to deal with this. Highly recommend that when you are looking for a microphone, either find one that doesn't require batteries, or, one that has a battery indicator. For this product, I give 3 out 5 stars. 3 stars for the sound quality, and taking of 2 for the battery issues.
1515 comments|292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
I try my best to let the product speak for itself.
55 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2009
Purchased this mic in order to do interviews and video presentations and it has been excellent. Have a professional Shure wireless set up as well, but have found this to be an great alternative when I need to move quickly. It allows me to use my Sony HD handycam with a minimum of additional equipment and allows for a fast set up. Have used the mic for approximately 10 hours and the battery has not yet run out. Be sure to purchase additional button batteries when you purchase this, though. They always run out right when you don't have them on hand. L-45 batteries are really inexpensive. I purchased 50 for under $10 here on Amazon. Would definitely recommend this mic as a primary or backup mic for any prosumer set up where the subject isn't going to be moving around (interviews, training, etc.)
on July 31, 2013
So when I received this Microphone, it was amazing! Then i left it on all night and after reading reviews I had a whole box off 10 batteries ready to go. The next day we recorded a session and after putting all the video together my lav mic only worked for the 1st 10 minutes, and it was horrible scratchy low volume sound at that!

So I tried it in different cameras and computers trying to convince myself the sound was ok, it does sound better on some devices vs others. Tried new batteries.. etc

I feel stupid for ordering another mic because i was past the 30 day return limit, but I went ahead and ordered a new one. And it sounds perfect with the battery that came with it! I put the new Mic battery in the Mic that was having noise low sound issues, perfect again!

So a long story short is that they advertise on the page that it takes 2 types of batteries. (CR2 and LR44) The LR44 came with the unit, the CR2 most likely would not fit. Aren't all button batteries the same? No, I figured out the hard way they are not the same. I purchased a 10 pack of Philips LR44. I have 10 batteries that do not power this unit in a sufficient manner.

So make sure you try changing the battery manufacturer before throwing this thing out or returning it.

I saw someone comment that they use Duracell D357 (Energizer 357, Maxwell SR44W) it is 1.55 V and 165 mAh I wonder if the extra 'umph' helps it or hurts it.

The correct battery for this Mic is a Duracell LR44 (Energizer A76, Maxwell LR44) it is 1.5 V and 60 mAh and as I have proved some of them wont work, like the Philips brand LR44.(unless i just happened to get a bad batch of 10 old batteries from Amazon)
on September 12, 2009
It's a lot of mike for the price. The thin but long cable help making it useful. It's omnidirection; so try not to cough between singing or speaking. The battery is inexpensive too. One can buy a few for a dollar.
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2010
I have to say it seems like a lot of people didn't know what they were getting when they purchased this microphone. This mic will not instantly make your recording better and may not fit your needs. Its a decent, inexpensive microphone (just checked my levels on Final Cut Express, right in the yellow like they should be). I like the cable is generously long (to put it mildly), it allows either you or subject a lot of freedom in where you place your camera and freedom of movement for the subject. Obviously its not the most durable mic, but again you're paying almost a tenth the cost of a pro lav. If you get one that doesn't perform right out of the box, just return it for a refund.
I bought this to make simple presentations with my pentax k7 and my macbook. I am more than satisfied with this inexpensive solution.
on August 5, 2011
** VERY IMPORTANT: If you purchase this microphone and you don't get ANY sound, you need to purchase a MONO to STEREO adapter (a few bucks from Amazon or local retailer). These adapters are so cheap that I would suggest picking one up at the time of purchase just in case.

I ordered this product after seeing good reviews and because I own other Audio-Technica products and have been extremely happy with them. I ordered from Amazon and it came a couple days later. I opened it up and started taking getting it ready. This mic requires the LR44 batteries so I'd suggest picking up a few of those when you purchase the headset too because they last about a dozen hours before dying.

I plugged it into my camera, no go. I tried another mic and it worked fine. I plugged it into my PC, no go. I tried the other mic and it worked fine. I thought it was a loose connection, bad sound card, maybe I put the battery in wrong? Nothing I did would fix it so I ended up starting a return on Amazon, frustrated that it didn't work. I went to lunch, came back and as I'm looking at the plug for the microphone I realize that it's a mono plug. I ran down to a local electronics store and purchased a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm mono female adapter.

I plugged in the adapter and lo and behold it works perfectly with my PC as well as my camera. I have a feeling a lot of the 1 star reviews and returns on here have been because people didn't know that they needed this for their application (note that some people may NOT need this, especially with more professional equipment).