Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 4, 2010
Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
5454 comments| 807 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2009
The Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone appears to be a nearly identical replacement lavalier mic from the recently discontinued Audio-Technica ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone.

Reading some blog advice about video podcasting and playing around a bit with making YouTube videos, "sound" in video is usually the part that makes video quality bad. So I was looking for a reasonably price lapel mic to use. The ATR-3350 is quite inexpensive considering that you can easily spend $200 for a professional model lapel mic.

If you read some of the "1" (hate it) reviews from the ATR-35S, they pretty much all related to "low volume issues". You may see some similar reviews here as time goes on. Plugging the ATR-3350 directly into my Dell laptop PC mic in or camera mic in, I also thought the volume is not high enough. However, plugging it into my video camera, it sounded great. Just the right volume. Not too loud or soft.

I went to the support site for ATR and asked my question on volume on my laptop PC mic in. Support on the ATR site was good. I got a quick response back on my question about volume on my laptop. The advice was "Look for MIC Boost in the Advanced Controls for microphone in the Volume Control window of Voice recording under the Voice tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties of Windows to boost the level of a microphone. (Windows XP example given.)".

I'm giving it "5" for the product considering value for the price and the support I got. I'm sure the quality does not get anywhere near professional mics with XLR inputs. Those mics are in a different class. Certainly not in this price range.

Be careful if you have a rolling chair and use this mic near your PC. The cord is thin and probably easy to make the mic "nonfunctional" if you were to roll over the cable with all your weight pinching the thin cord under a wheel.
88 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2011
Quick video to hear for yourself the sound quality of the mic. Recorded indoors in a barn, don't ask me why I chose this location. Something to note: The sound recorded by the ATR3350 was noticeably louder than the Canon's built in mic. I tried to balance the volumes during the editing process. Enjoy the video.
1010 comments| 401 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2010
The Audio-Technica ATR-35S lavaliere microphone is a higher than average quality microphone. The benefits of the microphone are that the small microphone can clip onto a shirt, or tie with the provided clip. The battery compartment and on/off switch has an additional clip on it to attach to your belt, or pant waist.

The overall sound quality for the microphone is astounding considering the price, averaging at about $25, often times less. The material used to fabricate the microphone feels sturdy, and that it will last. Overall I'm extremely happy with the quality of the sound, and the microphone itself. The 20 foot cord helps when you are walking around a room, with the recorder set on a table. Granted, just be sure not to walk too far, as to not pull the recorder off the table. However, I do have a few minor complaints.

When I use this microphone with my voice recorder, I always feed the microphone through my shirt, and have my recorder in my pocket. When feeding 20 feet of cord through your shirt, it often times will get tangled, and will feel uncomfortable under your shirt. What I normally do with the extra cord is tie it off with a piece of Velcro. That way, you only have to feed a small bundle of cord through your shirt, rather than 20 feet of loose cord.

The last compliant I have is a major one, and there really isn't anything that can be done to fix it. On the battery compartment, there is no way of knowing how much battery life is left, or if it's even still working. There's only an on and off switch, that's it. Not a red light when it's on or a battery indicator. If you begin recording, you need to be sure you will have enough of a battery life to complete the recording.

There are two options to help with this, but not solve it. Either always start each session with a new battery, or record in short sessions. The battery required are the small flat batteries, used in watches, laser pointers, etc, and are inexpensive. What I recommend is to replace the battery after a day of sessions. The second option is that after each session, listen back, and make sure everything was recorded. When doing this, it's best to record shorter sessions, in case you should happen to lose anything due to the battery dying.

This is a major hassle though having to do this. I would much rather have a battery light indicator and not have to deal with this. Highly recommend that when you are looking for a microphone, either find one that doesn't require batteries, or, one that has a battery indicator. For this product, I give 3 out 5 stars. 3 stars for the sound quality, and taking of 2 for the battery issues.
1515 comments| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2014
The 1-star reviewers of this mic sound like they expected the quality of a $500 microphone. This is a $26.80 mic (when I bought it on Amazon). For the price, I think it's just fine.

Clipped on my shirt, the pickup is good. I bought it to be a better alternative than the internal mic in my iPhone 5s for making YouTube videos. The ATR's sound quality is clear and true without the ambient noise or room echo I get from from my iPhone's internal mic at the same distance. I may have to boost the sound level a little in post edit, but that would probably be true for any mic. The 6 meter cable makes it very easy to use with my iPhone on a tripod capturing the video at a distance. I used the smart phone adapter to plug into the iPhone, and it works fine. The mic is quite small so it's almost not noticeable in my videos.

On the negative side, the windscreen does come off pretty easily, but that's not a problem for me, as I record my videos inside. In my tests, I doubt I'll need it for my videos. For outside use where a windscreen might be more important, the windscreen comes off too easily. One other negative is that the power on/off switch button on my unit wasn't attached very well. It fell off the first couple times I used the mic. A little superglue fixed it, but I hadn't expected such a repair being required.

If you're looking for absolute top-of-the-line audiophile sound quality or heavy duty design for tons of use, spend some money to get it. But I intend to use this microphone for my YouTube channel videos for my own voice coaching business. Its sound quality is just fine, even for demonstrating nuances of vocal production. And I'm hoping that it will stand up mechanically to my level of use.
on October 23, 2014
I bought this mic so I could do vlogging using my Droid while having clean sound. The mic itself works great. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is that there's no battery indicator to let you know if there's battery life in the mic or not. If you forget to turn off the mic, you'll drain the battery for sure.

A note to Android users:
Using an external mic on video recording doesn't work with the standard video app. The app the worked for me was "Audio and Video Recorder" by "Rana Krishna Paul." But, the app only records using the main camera and not the front facing camera, so you can't see yourself while recording. The thing is the app records the videos to a "3gp" file format. If you want to edit or trim the video (I use VidTrim, which is the simplest to use, then you'll simply have to rename it to an MP4 (no conversion necessary).
on February 28, 2013
I try my best to let the product speak for itself.
55 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2013
So when I received this Microphone, it was amazing! Then i left it on all night and after reading reviews I had a whole box off 10 batteries ready to go. The next day we recorded a session and after putting all the video together my lav mic only worked for the 1st 10 minutes, and it was horrible scratchy low volume sound at that!

So I tried it in different cameras and computers trying to convince myself the sound was ok, it does sound better on some devices vs others. Tried new batteries.. etc

I feel stupid for ordering another mic because i was past the 30 day return limit, but I went ahead and ordered a new one. And it sounds perfect with the battery that came with it! I put the new Mic battery in the Mic that was having noise low sound issues, perfect again!

So a long story short is that they advertise on the page that it takes 2 types of batteries. (CR2 and LR44) The LR44 came with the unit, the CR2 most likely would not fit. Aren't all button batteries the same? No, I figured out the hard way they are not the same. I purchased a 10 pack of Philips LR44. I have 10 batteries that do not power this unit in a sufficient manner.

So make sure you try changing the battery manufacturer before throwing this thing out or returning it.

I saw someone comment that they use Duracell D357 (Energizer 357, Maxwell SR44W) it is 1.55 V and 165 mAh I wonder if the extra 'umph' helps it or hurts it.

The correct battery for this Mic is a Duracell LR44 (Energizer A76, Maxwell LR44) it is 1.5 V and 60 mAh and as I have proved some of them wont work, like the Philips brand LR44.(unless i just happened to get a bad batch of 10 old batteries from Amazon)
on October 11, 2009
Purchased this mic in order to do interviews and video presentations and it has been excellent. Have a professional Shure wireless set up as well, but have found this to be an great alternative when I need to move quickly. It allows me to use my Sony HD handycam with a minimum of additional equipment and allows for a fast set up. Have used the mic for approximately 10 hours and the battery has not yet run out. Be sure to purchase additional button batteries when you purchase this, though. They always run out right when you don't have them on hand. L-45 batteries are really inexpensive. I purchased 50 for under $10 here on Amazon. Would definitely recommend this mic as a primary or backup mic for any prosumer set up where the subject isn't going to be moving around (interviews, training, etc.)
on December 14, 2014
Overall, it's a great mic for an inexpensive price! It helps so much to have a mic on the person I am filming, instead of using the built-in mics on my cameras. There are two fairly small negatives, though. First, the windscreen falls off very easily, so you need to keep track of it. Secondly, the clip is made of incredibly cheap plastic that broke as soon as I tried to attach it to the mic, right after I opened the box. The mic, itself, is pretty good for the price, though.