5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Cross, but most definitely Justice
Published on October 24, 2011 by Tatiana Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars The definition of sophomore slump
I'm pretty sure this is their sophomore effort (too lazy to look it up), and I find it hard to express how deeply disappointed I was with this album.
Published 20 months ago by Drew Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Cross, but most definitely Justice, October 24, 2011
Tatiana Taylor (Oak Creek, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
Before you read the negative reviews about this album, because I am sure there will be many, keep the following in mind: Most people who will have listened to this song will be EXPECTING the same songs from Cross. You have to listen to this album without dwelling on Justice's first album. Don't let that become a hang up. Also they probably listen through it once and then gripe about it rather than listening to it a couple times and really soaking it in. This is completely new material and at first I was taken aback and thought "Where's my Justice?" but the more I listened to it the more I could hear them.

Now on to my personal review. This album is a great synthesis of classic 70s rock and electronica. Truly a match made in heaven. You still get your great heavy synth parts that Justice is known for, but there is a lot lighter synth play in this album. They said their previous album was intended for night and this one is intended for day. It's fun and it's lively. It doesn't take itself too seriously. That being said there is still a lot of depth. Rather than relying on a bunch of samples they focus on melodic structures of rock songs. Seriously if you love ELO and bands like them you'll love this album.

I've been listening to it non-stop today already and I almost enjoy it more than their first album.

Give it a chance and enjoy this fun new direction. If you want the same old music over and over, listen to the same album. Don't complain about artists not progressing and sounding the same and then go crazy about it when they actually do.

Best songs: Helix, Civilization, Horsepower, and the hidden track at the end of Audio Video Disco. The album is worth that hidden track alone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Justice Returns...to the Past, October 27, 2011
ObiWanShinobi (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Here's the thing....

A.) If you bought Cross, loved it, and are expecting the exact same album (i.e. some really awesome, but super-heavy slammin' electro) then there's a really good chance you're going to be disappointed.
B.) If however you generally like Justice's sound, and can expand that past the strict definition of the first album, then you're going to like this.
C.) If you're a "B" and you also happen to like classic prog-rock like Yes, Asia, and Rush. Then prepare to totally absolutely love this album more than life itself.

Me, I am somewhere betwixt B+C. So while I would have loved a Cross "2.0" I still really, really dig this album.

Whereas Cross was an in your face mesh of classic Parisian house and heavy electro, this album is more of an homage to classic progressive rock. Which makes this a little bit more heady on the conceptual level. The "problem" with that is that you end up with a mix of songs that you can't exactly dance to...from a group that got big on the dance floor. And while I like to dance to Justice, I also just like to listen to them.

So if you really like good interesting music the latest offering from Justice will totally float your boat.

Best tracks to check out are in my opinion Helix, Civilization, On'n'On. For a taste of what I mean by prog-rock homage check out "Parade".

4.0 out of 5 stars Going track by track, October 26, 2011
Sean May (Muncie, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio, Video, Disco. (MP3 Music)
It's been four years since the French electronic duo Justice delivered their masterpiece, Cross, and today they're back with their highly anticipated follow-up, Audio, Video, Disco. The lead single from the album, "Civilization" was classic Justice, with a pounding beat and a theatrical epicness that one would expect from Gaspard Augé and Xavier de Rosnay. Since "Civilization" debuted, though, snippets of other songs have leaked to mixed reactions. Now, with today's release of the full album, I'll go track by track to see just how Audio, Video, Disco stacks up to Justice's other work.

1. "Horsepower": It starts out nice, with a growling guitar much like that on "Civilization", the song it proceeds. Along with some brighter synth portions as well as some darker strings, it's a good way to kick off the album. The song's good, but it acts as a prelude to Civilization and doesn't stand out on its own quite enough.

2. "Civilization": You've all heard this one before, but it bears repeating that "Civilization" is just a damn good anthem. The guitars erupt and scream on the track, and the whole thing has a brilliant grinding tension in the first minute of the song that ends up in an electronic explosion, with a heavy beat kicking in and sending this song into outer space. This one's better than a good number of songs on Cross, and will definitely be spinning at clubs for years to come.

3. "Ohio": ...the can't be all great, though, right? It's really the lyrics that mess up the song. Repeating "Ohio, Tennessee, California, Endlessly...right on" over and over again, just what are they trying to say? I know electronic music isn't exactly known for having lyrical depth, but the lyrics just feel so disjointed from the song underneath. And that's a shame, because the instrumental part of the song is quite nice, something that you can enjoy in the (mostly) lyricless last minute of the song.

4. "Canon - Primo": Just a little harpsichord-ish intro to the proper "Canon"

5. "Canon": This one reminds me a little bit of Daft Punk's "Robot Rock" with its heavy guitar riff (something that seems to be a trend on this album). The song has a real drive to it, with synths, guitars and thunderous drums fighting for sonic space throughout the track.

6. "On'n'On": The singing on the track sounds like some long lost vocal from a forgotten 70s vocalist, combined with a strings happy Justice dropping something a lot more melodic than the previous tracks behind it. It works really well, and is probably one of the most newcomer-friendly tracks Justice has done so far. It also ends with a huge outro that glides seamlessly into the next track...

7. "Brianvision": Not a whole lot going on in this track. It's not that it's bad or anything, but it's also not good. Seeing that "Canon" and "On'n'On" really delivered the goods previously, this song can be forgiven for being a bit of a lull.

8. "Parade": I'm really getting a Queen vibe from this album as I get deeper into it. Aping the stomps and hand-claps from "We Will Rock You" as they do on this track, I'm guessing it was intentional. The song also includes some welcome weirdness, with the audio inexplicably dropping out for a couple of seconds right before the end and a glitchy, staccato intro, but the middle feels a little limp, like it's trying to get by on the Queen vibe they set the song up with.

9. "New Lands": This one starts off sort of uninteresting, without a whole lot going on at first other than a falsetto vocal on top of what sounds like an alternate take of "Civilization", but at around the 2:30 mark, the song shifts gears and starts accelerating on its own and really working by the time it's done.

10. "Helix": The chopped up vocal snippets on this are nice, giving the song a vocal punch without dominating the song. But the guitar that does dominate the song sort of sounds like a variation on the same riff that has been pervading the rest of the songs. The riff itself is good enough on its own, but I feel like Justice is leaning on it way too hard, especially at this point, ten tracks in. Even though the song does another gear change toward the end, it just doesn't deliver

11. "Audio, Video, Disco": The harpsichord from "Canon-Primo" returns here on the final track to lead us into a chaotic, heady, bass drum heavy send-off in the final track on the album. All that chaos burns off by the end of the song, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to go. I would have liked for Audio, Video, Disco to spend its last few minutes really blowing the windows off, but it doesn't. It instead chooses to ease into something quieter and quieter until it's just done. Maybe if there had been some more real bangers on this album it would have been a welcome come down, but as it stands, it's more disappointing than relaxing.

So, there we go, all eleven tracks laid out on the examination table. The only songs that I had a major aversion to were "Ohio" and "Brianvision", just because they seemed so lazy and uninspired. The other songs, even though most of them had parts that didn't deliver, at least had some portion that redeemed them enough to warrant a second listen.

As for my impressions of the album as a whole, I think it marks a change in Justice's overall feel, and it might have been designed to deliver a hard kick against the people who expected them to deliver another Cross. It's not Cross, far from it, and right now I don't think it's as good as Cross, but it does stand on its own as a strong album that has the potential to grow as you listen to it more. I think a lot of Cross fans won't be happy with Audio, Video, Disco, but I think as the years wear on, and Justice hopefully takes less than four year between each release, this could fit in well as we watch Justice evolve from house DJs with massive beats to maybe something more refined and subtle.

The album is for the most part a three star work, but there are moments here, of great brilliance, that add the extra star for me. A lot of people will be disappointed that they're not just re-hashing Cross, but I'm happy they're not

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Justice you're used to, but Justice you can still love, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
Let me preface this by saying I've been listening to this album for a few weeks prior to making this review, and it has certainly made a difference. When I first listened to the album I was confused and a bit angry. It's in Justice key, and you can hear the signature Justice modulator/syth here and there, but that's it. It turns out that this is an album that grows on you.

It starts with Civilization and Audio, Video, Disco, as these are the stars of the album. I was quite shocked at Civilization when I first heard it. My taste for music is for the dirty and powerful, which was all of Cross (minus D.A.N.C.E.). Once I became comfortable with it, however, it became very powerful, much in the way of Cross, but brighter. Audio, Video, Disco is the same way, albeit it reminds me of a heavier Daft Punk's Around The World.

If you are new to the album but loved Cross, I'd start off with Brianvision, Horsepower, and Canon. A quick aside; Canon (Primo) seriously reminds me of Led Zeppelin. Canon is just a great instrumental song. If you like Cross, you will like this song. It's one of the most powerful and raw songs on the track. Brianvision reminds me of The Brainwasher/Voyager in Justice key; it's a fantastic song as well. Horsepower is Justice's version of a day at Laguna Seca. First, and uplifting pre-race beat, then the beat goes mean. The chorus starts, the lights turn green, and a powerful 70's riff puts you back in your seat. The song finishes with a 1st place podium riff. Definitely one of my favorite songs on the track.

Now for the songs that will need tasting like a fine scotch - Parade, New Lands, Helix, On'n'On, and Ohio. Parade is still close to traditional Justice, but much happier. It literally sounds like parade music. A song that you'd want to get drunk and yell "NA-NANANA-NA-NANANA" with your friends. New Lands is where it gets different. The intro is straight up AC-DC, which turns into a powerful progressive rock chorus. Suddenly, you find yourself in a Rush solo. It's a well done song, just not in the typical Justice style. On'n'On is a hard song to describe. Earlier 70's, strong and happy chorus. You'll just have to listen to it. Helix is where Cross and A,V,D are on two different ends of the spectrum. It is a good song, but it screams 70's workout sequence to me. Again, one that is difficult for me to explain.

Ohio... Yes. Ohio. I hate 1/3 of this song, sit well with 1/3, and my most favorite part of this album is 1/3 of this song. The beginning is annoying. The states have nothing in common with anything, the syllables sound awful, and his voice doesn't match the song... Until the second 1/3 of the song. The back beat starts matching him, and the song starts to make sense. This is all fine and dandy until the break happens, and then the most glorious, dirty, fat, beautiful synth comes upon you like antibiotics to the plague. It's glorious. Listen to it.

Overall, I would recommend this album, although I would have preferred a harder/more electro album. It's different and well done; completely solid. Definitely an album that needs some time to sink in, but once it does it satisfies. If you are a little shy, follow my recommendation of songs to listen to above. It may be easier than plunging into the icy water.

Eager to hear what people think about the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Less disco, more spacey...still good., October 24, 2011
Brett Miller (The State of 'Misery') - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio, Video, Disco. (MP3 Music)
I'm going to try and keep this short. I love 'DVNO' and 'Genesis' from 'Cross', so I was looking forward to edgy/funky tracks like that on 'Audio, Video, Disco' (A.V.D.). To be honest, there aren't any tracks that remind me much of 'DVNO' or 'D.A.N.C.E.', but there are some great songs nonetheless.

I'd describe the overall sound of A.V.D. as more spacey/'Arena Rock' in its sounds. It strikes me as more cerebral and a bit less dance-oriented than the last album. Just like 'Cross', it's a great album to put on and let roll because there isn't a bad song on it.

My three favorite tracks thus far: 1) Helix; 2) Canon; 3) On'n'On.

My advice: If you liked everything on 'Cross', buy this album. If you only liked 'DVNO' and 'D.A.N.C.E.', you might be a little dissatisfied with the shortage of danceable tunes on A.V.D.

2.0 out of 5 stars The definition of sophomore slump, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Audio, Video, Disco. (MP3 Music)
Justice seems to have developed a fondness for electric guitars and other organic instruments since their last album. They seem to have lost interest in the fast sweeps, surging vocal samples, and ominous moods that won them so many instant fans.
I am sure I am one among many, many alienated, disappointed people who didn't find more than one or two songs on this collection worth leaving in my mp3 library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Different Than Their First Album "Cross". But More Mature, I Think., November 14, 2012
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
When i sampled this album i found that it is more of a catchy album. The rhythm of the songs work better than their first album. Each song is of a bump and grind move and makes you wanna eurythmic to it's beat. Their first album resembles the work of Daft Punk with the noisy electronic sounds (not as much on Justice's first album), but this album has some of that style but more of a mature style with a pop synth twist (not saying their first is a imature album). Each song goes into one groovy dance tune into another. All 12 songs...even the hidden unknown named song...1 minute after track 11 ends is a better flow and better written material that won't be a wear on your ears. The three Daft Punks albums can be a once in a while feel for it in order to listen to it. The album "Cross" is not a bad album either. While this album is one that i can listen again and again too.

Noun 1. eurythmics - the interpretation in harmonious bodily movements of the rhythm of musical compositions; used to teach musical understanding.

P.S., If this cd is in a dvd player and your opticaly copying it to a blank minidisc like i did...the cd's text of the name of the album just comes up: Audio, Video, Disco on the display screen (maybe without the comas in between).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice follow up, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
This was an awesome album in my opinion. A lot of people are saying this isn't "cross" will no duh it's not if you are looking for another cross album then listen to it again. What I think Justice is trying to do here is not repeat the same thing over and over again just like Daft Punk. They're bringing something new to the table, instead of releases eps they're more focused on an album (though albums may be dead). "The internet has made us very impatient people, and cannot enjoy an album as a whole" Gaspard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite perfect, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
Being that their last album was filled with absolutely amazing songs and some filler, I was happily surprised that this album sounded more like a true album. Although there isn't as many stand out songs, there also isn't as many fillers. Overall there is a theme of dance music mixed with big 70's big arena guitars which I love, although sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes the songs need to be bigger and more thematic and sometimes they need to be more dance oriented, but over it's a good merry-meant of genres. There's something to be said about 70's arena rock and Dance put together. 70's arena rock was meant to be big, loud and cocky much like some dance that is big, loud and cocky, and that's why it works so well together. Standout songs for me are Civilization, Canon, On'n'On, Parade, News Lands, Helix and the albums title track.

But...I do have to say there are some problems with this album. First off the version of Civilization on the album is by far the lesser version of the song. Look for the 4:11 version which sounds better, better mix and is longer. In the 4:11 version when song is about to cut out it comes back for one more big chorus which I love. The other big problem with this album is that it's a product of the loudness war. Most dance or electronica albums usually don't suffer from clipping and over compression and usually leave the sound intact, but some of the bigger bands of this genre tend to try to make their albums compete with popular music. If you're not familiar with the loudness war, it just means that record companies try to make the cd sound as loud as possible thinking that listeners will respond better to that. The problem with that there is a a limit of how loud an album can be on cd before it clips off the music and distorts. This will cause the album to be distorted, lose clarity, and actually make the songs sounds very small and thin at louder levels. Believe me when I say that it may be one of the reasons people will like the album less then they should. Being that this music is supposed to be big large 70s arena rock dance music it greatly suffers from sounding too compressed.

Overall there is some amazing songs on here. The sounds of retro rock with contemporary music is absolutely amazing at times and you would be doing yourselves a disfavor by not buying this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Justice lite, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Audio Video Disco (Audio CD)
Justice said this album was "daylight music". It does not sound like the Justice that we know, but there are little things here and there that remind you that this is Justice. They really bring the 70's arena rock sound on this album and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt seems like more of the later)Some of it also seems cheesy. I didnt get really excited about one track except Civilization. It is stilll a decent album but you cant compare it to Cross because this one is such a letdown from that album.

Audio Video Disco
Audio Video Disco by Justice (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies