5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended without reservations.
Published on July 11, 2001 by Jesus M. Guerra Cuellar

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory
After 3 months, 2 drivers, 2 amplifiers and $...to ship the parts back twice, we are still dead in the water. I should have stopped the bleeding within the initial 30 days and sent it back to Amazon. The unit instead will be going into the trash can. In retrospect, I should have researched further and found out this was a discontinued item, and that Audiosource does...
Published on April 14, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended without reservations., July 11, 2001
This review is from: AudioSource SW Fifteen 200-Watt Powered Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought my SW Fifteen at Amazon...The thing was very heavy and quite large. I decided to place it as suggested, at least about 3 feet from the side and rear walls. My main speakers are a pair of Klipsch La Scala’s which are extremely efficient and can play very loud with very low distortion but are somewhat restricted in the very low end, so the ideal match would be a subwoofer which could play equally loud and that could go deeper into the low end. After reading the consumer reviews on the Audiosource SW Fifteen I decided to give it a try. After a lot of tweaking with the crossover and the level setting I got the most balanced sound at about 45 hz for the crossover and about 1 o’clock for the level control. Because I wanted to use it for home theater as well as music I went with the high level connection. I had an Audio Pro SW-50 subwoofer for about 8 years until very recently I decided to give it to my kid brother. This subwoofer was very revolutionary in its time and I paid [lots of money] for it. There is just no comparison. The SW Fifteen is absolutely fantastic. There are opinions about it being boomy, maybe because the crossover is set too high. I think it is better suited for systems with bass capable main speakers. In my case, with the setting at about 45 Hz, it sounds better than anything I have ever heard (including the velodyne’s and the M&K’s). The included test CD is helpful up to a point because the test tones have center frequencies to far apart. I found the Stereophile’s test CD to be better for fine-tuning the subwoofer blend with the main speakers. After the tweaking I played one of my favorite movies on DVD, Crimson Tide (chapter 18 has some fierce explosions). My room was shaken. Quite an experience. In the included test CD, tracks 10 to 14, the bass is extremely well defined and extends quite deep. How can Audiosource develop such a marvel for less...is a mistery. The bottom line is that it is one of the best subwoofers I have ever heard regardless of price. Recommended without reservations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, January 16, 2000
By A Customer
This is a fair quality subwoofer. It is a very good price and has a lot of power. On my system the SW15 plays frequencies as low as 22hz, which is impressive. The bass is not as punchy or resonating as higher-priced models (Cerwin Vega, Velodyne) and sound reproduction is not as clean. But this sub is good for the price, especially if you don't want to spend much more than $1000 on your stereo system.

4.0 out of 5 stars T-Rex A'Comin!!, November 21, 2001
"trigger_books" (The best part of California) - See all my reviews
Our main interest in buying this subwoofer was to give our home theatre system some of the low-end impact you feel at the movies and for that use it's a success. I spent the first evening running through bits and pieces of Jurassic Park, Top Gun and Independence Day, messing with the crossover point and level control and eliciting some interesting harmonics from our china cabinet. Yeah, it's that powerful. I'm going to replace the cheap speaker-wire clips with binding posts: hence the 4 stars. At this price I'm not worried about whether or not doing so voids the warranty! Other than the terminals, I'd give it a five. Oh: be prepared to let your subwoofer replace an end table or something: the guy is big. BUY this sub if you want the true theatre low end but don't expect to hide it under the couch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiosource SW 15, December 9, 2002
Ok, just got my sub and have been using it like crazy. I originally purchased a JBL PB 10 for considerably more than this cost. I returned it because it just didn't do the job. I read the reviews and decided to try this, and it seems to be doing the job nicely. So far I have set the crossover to 80 hz and the same on my receiver. I have played Star Wars and Jurassic Park, and my roof has just about blown off. Just what I was looking for. Also, many other reviewers were talking about putting polyfill in the cabinet. Mine just came with polyfill already inside. The bass is crisp and punchy, while still being powerful. So, apparently someone from Audiosource read these and did something about it. I have it hooked up using the LFE connection, and a Y adapter. The thing is big but who cares that's what's required for bass to be felt. I have worked on sound professionally in performance venues and can say confidentally that this sucker kicks, and to give her a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such low end bass for such a low price, September 20, 2000
Andrew Jacob Ratzlaff (Fresno, California USA) - See all my reviews
I found this power house on the net and was sceptical about its performance for such a low price. I tested this speaker with the local rap stations, bass CDs and DVD movies and was impressed. (Memo to self: put pictures back on walls before wife gets home) Then I put in a DTS DVD and for some reason the DTS intro will peak the speaker, but nothing else does, not even the movie following the intro. I give this speaker five stars despite the DTS intro, it hits hard with plenty reserve. ...

5.0 out of 5 stars No more skepticizm, December 11, 2002
Phil Do (Chantilly, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Before I ordered the SW15, I was skeptical about its performance due to its price, but after receiving it in 4 days (free shipping besides) and listening to it, I'm a true believer. I set the volume level at the 9 o'clock position and the crossover at 100 Hz and I can feel the bass. My previous 10" powered sub can't even come close. Best deal I've seen in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Subwoofer Anyone Can Easily Add to Their Music System, July 8, 2000
By A Customer
The AudioSource SW Fifteen Powered Subwoofer is an excellent subwoofer for the price (thanks Amazon!) and easily integrates into most music systems. Its set up is a snap, anyone can do it. I have it matched with three different pairs of bookshelf speakers that I can switch between, and all are in a surround sound set up. It compliments the system with all three pairs of bookshelf speakers by adding the needed lower bass without being too "booming" and pronounced. It can play loud when it is made to do so, but the speaker's strong point is the overall bass blends quite well with most speakers. An added plus is I did not have to do a lot of adjustments to the subwoofer to get good sound (needed bass) from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price-performance ratio, August 2, 2002
First of all, this thing is big. I mean really big. But if space is not a problem this sub is unbeatable for the price. I live in a townhouse and this is set up on the first floor, when this sub is turned on you can feel it on the third floor in the shower! Luckily, my neighbor appreciates loud music. It really adds a lot to a home theater system. The amazon description states that it is not video shielded, but the CD that comes with it stated that it is so I'm not sure who to believe. The 12 inch audiosource sells for the same price, so if space is not an issue I suggest just buying this one. Also, the warranty on this one is 5 years and twelve inch only has a 2 year. It is super easy to hookup, but you may need a Y-adapter for the line level out of your receiver. Some of the other reviewers here state that they have two of them hooked up to their systems, I see that as a waste of money. One of these provides plenty of bass for any system. With two you will just make your house fall down quicker. One shakes the place plenty and scares the pets enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition for home theater and music, June 29, 2002
This subwoofer has been a much needed addition to my RCA RT2500 home theater system. After reading reviews on the item here and on a few other websites, I decided to look for the cheapest price I could find it for. I lucked out and caught it at the most popular online auction site for under a benjamin. When I first hooked the subwoofer up it did sound too boomy, tubby, and muddy especially when playing music, so I followed advice from others by using spray adhesive, staples, and twenty ounzes of polyfil to line the vast majority of the inside of the sub's cabinet. I did not block the ports and stayed three inches away from both the driver (to not limit excursion) and the amplifier (to avoid overheating.) The unit does have a little port noise so partially covering each port can be done to minimize this if desired. Once I hooked the speaker up the bass transformation was incredible. The bass became more punchy and responsive. I could not believe this was the same speaker. For less than ten bucks, I made this thing sound like a sub costing at least five hundred bucks. I must admit that there was still a little trace of boominess left, but this is OK since I am primarily using it for home theater and got it for so cheap. You could always add more or less polyfil to get it just right for yourself. The sub is not slack on features either because it has plenty of hook ups (RCA and speaker wire), variable crossover, variable level, and an auto-on feature. Other suggestions I would have to give is to consider the power and size of this sub before buying. It is huge (a few inches shorter than a two drawer file cabinet) and powerful (when added to the 200 watt sub on the RCA RT2500 shakes entire house at half power) so discuss this purchase with other family members and consider your neighbors before turning it up high. Other modifications can include adding spiked feet if on carpet or placing a heavy object on top of the sub to keep it from sliding when it is really pumping some serious bass. I went to a local garden shop and bought a 16" x 16" x 2" cement block, placed it neatly completely inside of a black T-shirt, trimmed the excess off, placed a 15" x 15" piece of cardboard on top of the sub to protect the finish, and finally anchored the sub down securely under the heavy load. Other suggestions would be to use heavy gauge speaker wire or preferrably a shielded subwoofer cable with a Y adapter to hook this thing up and maybe even use heavier wires to connect the speaker to the amplifier on the inside (they looked smaller than they should have to me.) If you are super dedicated you could even line the inside with acoustic tiles first before adding polyfil.
BUY THIS SUB NOW!!! Then easily modify it to suit your tastes, and use the money you saved to buy DVD's, CD's, VHS tapes, upgrade other components, or whatever and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars SW15 Subwoofer, November 3, 2001
By A Customer
I have purchased two of these bad boys. I recommend adding some polyfill to the inside cabinet as it turns a tubby sounding subwoofer into a very tight and defined subwoofer. A $4 purchase makes this subwoofer perform as good or better as a sub costing 3 times a much.