Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Audiobook version of A Feast for Crows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2005 8:00:08 AM PST
M. Noble says:
John Lee is nowhere as good as Roy Dotrice (who read the first three books). Mr. Dotrice was able to pitch his voice and style of speech to believably become a number of different characters. Mr. Lee does not seem able to do this. Furthermore, Mr. Lee's voice is soporific, while Mr. Dotrice's was not. Does anyone know why Mr. Dotrice was not the reader for this fourth book in the series?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2005 6:25:12 PM PST
The Loegrus says:
I dropped Roy an email last week-no reply. He was quick to reply to my praise last year however. I just sent George an email as well, I'm hoping for some kind of response...from somebody.

D. Ferreira

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2005 4:48:20 PM PST
D. Ferreira says:
George got back to me as far as the audiobook and no Roy, here's the cut and paste if you will:

"I have forwarded your comments on to Random House Audio. I would prefer to have Roy back for the next volume as well. On this one, he apparently had a prior commitment on the dates Random wanted to record.

George R.R. Martin"

So you see, it was a Random House/Roy thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2006 1:36:44 PM PST
Kenneth Horn says:
I was very disappointed to find out Roy wasn't the narrator for this book. I also sent out emails and got a reply from Random House explaining Random House wanted to have the audio version available to the public the same day as the release of the book, but they couldn't make that date with Roy's schedule so they went with John Lee. I personally bought the book and avoided the audio version. And voiced my complaint with RH. I don't have much time to read, but I don't think I could make it through the audio version without Roy Dotrice. I'm hoping Random House will learn from this and use Roy for the remainder of the series. If you haven't done so already, I suggest sending RH a complaint email.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2006 6:21:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2006 6:23:23 AM PST
Couldn't agree more! Roy had so much more personality. John Lee just seems to drone on, and didn't even try to use the pronuciation that Roy created so carefully. I loved the fact that I knew who was speaking regardless of context due to Roy's abilities! BRING BACK ROY!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2006 7:23:42 PM PST
J. Murphy says:
What email address did you use for Random House? I'd like to add my voice to the complaint about John Lee as well. I went to RH's web site, but didn't see a good email address.

Roy Dotrice has made the series for me. He is truly an unbelievably good narrator. I was so pissed the day I put the CDs of Feast for Crows in -- I couldn't even make it through the first one. Random House blew that one big time. I saw a post on Westeros.org where that Roy Dotrice said they didn't give him enough notice, otherwise he would have done it.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 7:22:48 AM PDT
I could not agree more. Dotrice WAS the books for me. I loved the writing, but his voice brought everything to life. John Lee's work might be fine for other things, but I find it a bit overdone. So disappointed. Not to mention the book was sub par when compared to the previous 3.

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 4:41:37 PM PDT
Brian Malloy says:
agreed. dotrice was incredible. i read the books twice before i discovered these and so i knew the story really well before hearing them. roy really brought them to life for me. if i closed my eyes i could see the story, not to mention the writing is outstanding. i would also like the RH complaints e-mail address.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 5:20:16 AM PDT
Doskiski says:
Yes, please add the RH email address so I can complain too. They should redo Book 4 with Dotrice! What were they thinking? What a way to ruin an audio series! All that to make the release date of the book- that was not necessary! Better to wait and have the real voice of the book!

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 1:00:29 PM PDT
I will say that although Roy Dotrice's voice tends to add a bit of age to everyone due to his age (87), the color and inflections of a thousand different characters seemed possible. John Lee on the other hand, awards or no, sounds like he is reading some sort of Shakespearean drama. Words and phrases are curiously stressed and emphasized where likely none should be. I picture him holding the reading material in one hand in front of him while the other is stretched to the gods (seven, three, or one) in challenge. Keep the embellished drama and give me Roy back. Please.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 12:50:20 PM PDT
Joakim Håhl says:
+1 for bringing Roy Dotrice back. As one of the previous commentators wrote and I could not agree more: Dotrice WAS the books for me.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 10:54:40 PM PST
I think john did a fine job, it isn't his fault RH doesn't know what their doing. Any voice actor, even the most elite would have struggled to match Roy's abilities.
But for you Roy fans out there tidbit, just noticed he is listed for the part of Grand Maester Pycelle in the upcoming HBO series, so it's safe to say he will be voicing the dance of dragons as well

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 8:56:17 AM PST
This John Lee reading is so histrionic and annoying I want to shove a knitting needle into my ears!

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 10:18:36 AM PDT
I'm listening to all the audio books again. I just started AFFC after finishing the first 3 by Dotrice. It's really hard to keep listening to this. Ranfom House really dropped the ball there. We need Roy back for the rest of the books. Hell, I'd pay for a remake of A Feast For Crows if they had Roy read that. Let's pretend they never made an audio book for Feast shall we.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 9:39:08 PM PDT
audio@randomhouse.com

EMAIL THEM!

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 12:51:51 PM PDT
They're bringing Roy Dotrice back for Dance with Dragons. GRRM announced it on his blog. Now all GRRM has to do is actually finish the book he's been working on for the past 10+ years.

Posted on May 31, 2011 4:38:26 PM PDT
Tyler says:
Im not sure how these things work, but does anyone really think RH will redo the audiobook? I emailed them as it will be very tough to listen to the whole book with different voices. I feel like im listening to a totally different series! Its very annoying! I may just buy the book.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 11:54:51 AM PDT
Shawn says:
I wish I had read these posts first. I hate to put people down, reading well is hard and tracking character voices is very tricky but in this case i feel like John Lee is reading to hear the sound of his own voice rather than acting out a story for us. At every little narrative bridge piece his voice takes command of the story in such a way that the little characters in the story do not have chance of taking part of the story. And so wierd, all the little folk with rounded vowels sounding like they just stepped out of an ivy league school. Its hard to tell at other times when he leaves narration and launches into dialogue. Sighs. Its so distracting Im going to have to carve out reading time. Uhg. Is this RH way of getting us to pay twice ? But then if its not just his reading making me feel lost as to what he is droning on about, than maybe there is credence to the other comments I see here regarding the writing of this book in particular.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 5:38:01 AM PDT
Linda Myers says:
So disappointed when I started listening to A Feast for Crows and it was not Roy...... Are we sure he is doing the next one?

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 3:30:59 PM PDT
I agree totally with all the other comments above. I just started AFFC last night and I literally couldn't listen to it after being enthralled by the first 3 audio books. Its amazing how much character Mr. Dotrice brings out. I'm afraid I may have to read this book myself...

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:20:56 PM PDT
I have yet to read FFC ! Saw all the bad reviews up there ! Should I skip it to Dance with Dragons or is there some value here ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 2:06:34 PM PDT
The book itself is considerably weaker than those that came before and, as mentioned the reader for the audio version is horrible (at least by comparison to Dotrice). I finished the audiobook with much determination to hear it through, and am glad I did. But it still feels like eating my spinach as a kid because it was good for me. In short, if you are invested in the series, then I strongly recommend reading/listening to AFFC. For me, the promise of what is (or may be) to come was more than enough incentive. Tomorrow ADWD comes out and we will all find out if this is the new status quo, or merely GRRM getting the housekeeping and bookkeeping out of the way so we can all get back to the fun and intrigue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 3:27:02 PM PDT
Many thanks John. I will read it as well I was leaning that way and now I will go for it

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 9:06:17 PM PDT
Yea Roy Dotrice is the man...this john guy must be standing on a mountain top in kings landing reading to the over pronunciation gods or something he murders the characters one by one in the same monotone voice...very disappointed!!!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 5:02:08 AM PDT
Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor ...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  70
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2005
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice & Fire)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice & Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Paperback - 2006)
3.8 out of 5 stars (4,511)