Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audiovox D7121ESK Dual Screen Portable DVD Player
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 29, 2011
Size: 7-inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In a world of IPads, Kindle Fires and Nooks, a portable DVD player might seem a bit anachronistic. We're accustomed to seeing a row of heads looking down at their handhelds and not up at a common screen, which is too bad because this Audiovox DVD player would have been the ultimate car trip accessory ten years ago.

A decade ago, my kids shared a small DVD player resting on their thighs. The Audiovox has headrest brackets! Speakers! Headsets! The screen swivels! Oh wait, that might cause conflict among travel weary siblings. But everything else is a neat little package of travel goodness.

The mounting bracket seemed to promise a lot of a fiddly small screws and lost nuts, but instead the process was simple. The whole package was a pleasant surprise. I initially rated the Audiovox as 3 stars, but decided to give it 4 stars becuase of the combination of a relatively low price and capabilty. If an IPad or a Blu-Ray high definition player is a pure bred French Poodle, then the Audiovox is the friendly golden retriever that licks your kids to death.
on November 26, 2011
Size: 7-inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had 5 or 6 portable DVD players, including one very pricey model when they first came out. The price of this one is definitely better. I also like that the rechargeable battery is in the unit, not a separate piece. I always misplace the battery when it can separate from the unit. As a result, I rarely use one without plugging it in, whether in the car or in the house. This one does come with the car plug and one you can use in the house. The battery is supposed to last 2 hours and they recommend charging it fully before you store it for any length of time. The battery is not supposed to have a memory, so letting it recharge without fully discharging isn't supposed to be a problem.

When I first opened the box, I was quite impressed that everything, including the car mount fits in a very compact, included bag. I've had to purchase a bag for the other units I have had. I first played with the car mounting bracket. I have never found one I have liked. This one is good. You unscrew 4 screws and separate it into 2 pieces that fit in front and behind one of the headrest posts. Re-screw the 4 screws and installation is pretty much done (they even include 2 extra screws). There is a t-shaped piece, with a hook on one end, which attaches to the DVD player and then snaps onto the piece installed in the car. It took me awhile to figure out how to attach the bracket to the DVD player. There was no picture in the instruction book showing the two together. I was able to see the hook part went to the top. I finally noticed there were some indentations on the player that matched these small hooks on the bracket. I first had it so it was in an "L" shape, much like it would be on a table. I then saw the picture on the product page and it looked like the screen turned around 180* and then folded back. That works as well. The advantage of the first way is you can change discs without taking it off the bracket, but it sticks out. The second way is more compact, but you won't be able to change the disc without removing the player from the bracket.

I was really impressed with the car mount and was so ready to love everything else about the player. I put in a disc, in the house, ready to enjoy. One of the things that has frustrated me with other units is when you have to use the remote in order to get the movie to start playing. This one does allow you to do everything on the player, which is good because the remote was hit or miss whether the player would respond. The sound was pretty bad. There was a buzzing sound and the volume wouldn't go very high (I was sitting not 3 feet away and I don't normally listen to things at full volume). I used one of the headphones and the sound did improve and I had to turn the volume down. The headphones are the over the ear style and fold nicely to fit in the case. I rarely use headphones, so I don't know good from bad, but these worked for me. They are padded, but were beginning to bother me by the last 30 minutes of the movie. The picture quality wasn't bad for a regular DVD. If you are used to high def and blue ray, it might not be that good for you. I got this to use with the grandkids on long car rides and I don't think they will complain.
1111 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2012
I was on the hunt for a new DVD player that my toddler could use both in and out of the car. She is rear-facing, and the RCA DRC69705 7-Inch Dual Screen Mobile DVD System we had don't have batteries. That wouldn't be a big deal, except the car chargers aren't long enough to reach the back of the backseats, so I ended up rigging a mirror and putting the players on the back of the front seats. It was a pain, to say the least. Plus, those were hit-and-miss (they had to be at such an angle to actually play a DVD, not anywhere near straight up and down.)

So what I wanted in a new portable DVD player: 1) a battery 2) a screen that flipped so my kid can't mess with the buttons and open the player all the time 3) a sturdy car mount 4) preferably a player with memory so it'd pick up where the DVD left off instead of starting all over (another thing the RCAs don't do.) This Audiovox fit the bill.

There are a couple other players out there that could also work, but I chose this one because of the car mount. I am very pro-car safety and don't want a DVD player to go flying off in an accident and end up killing my child. I also liked the quick-release feature, as I don't want to leave the player sitting out in my car for someone to steal. The mount for this works perfectly in my Prius; it's made of plastic and connects around the headrest poles using 4 screws. (Because of the way it connects, it'll only work for people with removable headrests.) The piece that actually holds the player can be removed, leaving the horizontal mount attached to the headrest so you can just pop the holding piece with the player right back on. It's genius, and IMO the real selling point of this player. The holding piece can be rotated however you want, and then you twist the knob to keep it at that angle. Very simple, but a thousand times better than players with just velcro straps that force you to remove the whole shebang to hide the player (coughRCAcough.)

DVDs start up quick and play just fine on here. Is it HD/Blu-Ray? No, but it is perfectly acceptable for the price and for my purpose. It charges pretty quickly and holds a charge as it says it does. As others have mentioned, it does come with a carrying bag (woohoo!), 2 over-the-ear headphones, a headphone splitter, a remote with battery, a wall charger, and a car charger. You get a lot for the money, but like I said, the best part is the car mount, hands down. I'm very pleased with my purchase!!
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2012
Size: 7-inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For the past several years, we have depended on portable DVD players to keep our kids occupied on long road trips. In my experience, the beating that a portable player takes means that any player is going to last one or two years, but that even the top brands don't last much longer than that.

This Audiovox is positioned for people with that mentality. It has worked well so far. Do I think it will last forever? Probably not, but I don't think our Sony will either. (I'll update if either one breaks -- since we have two kids, they're getting literally side by side tests).

What's good:

- The screen has a crisp, clear picture. I think the 7" screen is a little small for modern standards, though, and recommend choosing the 9" model.

- The screen swivels and folds back allowing you to watch movies in "tablet" form, either on your lap or with the attached headrest mount.

- The headrest mount is the first I have seen of its kind. Instead of trying to tie straps around one of the front seat headrests, you unscrew a clamp-style thing, then attach it to the bars of the headrest. Assuming you attach the player to the attachment correctly, which takes some practice, you end up with a much more secure attachment than most.

- The player does all of the extra stuff we have come to expect. It has a USB input for digital files, and component video out so that you can use this as a dvd player for a TV when you get to the hotel. (I currently have it hooked to the tv in my exercise area, which gets me the chance to watch DVDs there and keeps the unit charged for trips). The remote control is good.

- Audiovox included more and better accessories than many of the bigger name brands. The unit comes with a carry bag, two reasonably nice folding over-the-ear headphones, and a headphone splitter in case two people want to watch.

What could be better:

- So far, nothing. Some of the other reviewers have had technical problems, but ours is running fine and doing exactly what it was designed for.
on October 3, 2012
Ordered a Sony but it has been discontinued. Specifically needed the swivel screen because of the way it had to be hooked up in the car. 20 month yr old was good as gold on a 4 hour trip. Took it into a restuarant and she watched her Elmo DVD while we had a relaxing meal. The wait staff said she was the best behaved child they ever had. Even the manager commented that they should consider providing tables with portable players so the kids won't act up. Our waitress also said that typically no one wants to have families with small kids at their table, and she apologized for painting everyone with the same brush. It was worth the $100+ for that comment alone.
on September 26, 2013
I find nothing wrong with this DVD player. We set it between my wife and I and turn the screen around so my son in the back seat can watch. There have been some complaints about the volume not being loud enough but for us, who only use it in the car, it is perfectly fine. Happy we bought it.
on May 10, 2013
Comes with the carrying bag, headrest mount, and car adapter. Mine only came with 1 set of headphones but I didn't really care about that anyways. There were also 2 random cases for dual 7" screens that are really useless to me but it was just something extra so I don't really care. I saw in some other reviews that it came with earbuds now instead of headphones, but mine was a refurb so it still had the headphones (but only 1 set) which work great for my 2 year old. I've only had it a few days, but I've tested it and it works well. It is a little quiet, but I can't think of a time you'll be sitting more than a few feet away from it so it shouldn't be a problem.

One sort of weird thing is that when the headphones are plugged in I can still hear the sound faintly coming out of the speakers. Doesn't bother me, though, it's very quiet.
on July 13, 2015
We've had several portable DVD players over the years and have learned that they don't last long but this one only lasted 6 months and is already not working. It wasn't great to begin with. Its a pain to set up each time, sticks out pretty far from the seats and is closer to the kids' faces than I would like and the volume is not high enough to hear well over road noise. Several people commented on the volume and I thought it couldn't be that bad but I was wrong. The fact that I'm already replacing it after purchasing it WAY less than a year ago negates the lower price.
on July 4, 2013
I bought this portable DVD Player for my mother. She wanted a player that was easy to use and that was light weight to carry. She loves the ideal that there are only a few buttons that she has to push. It is a simple player with a good quality picture. My mom is happy, which makes my happy. I recommend this player to anyone.
on July 10, 2013
Was slightly skeptical from reading such varied reviews. We used ours periodically over a week of vacation travel with no problems. Viewed DVD's both in the car and on the tabletop inside. Quality is good and no issues with poor sound quality between 3 different discs as is mentioned by others. Vehicle mounting seems secure and has worked well. Mounted on an SUV seat (Toyota Highlander) the device is well out of the reach of children's hands and feet. When mounted you cannot change the DVD without removing it from the bracket to access the DVD door. This is not an issue as long as you have a second pair of hands to help while driving. Remote works well and is easy to use while driving to start/stop and adjust volume. Our player was delivered with 2 sets of over-the-ear headphones and not the ear-buds that others have received. So far so good and a big help with appeasing the little on while spending hours on the road.

UPDATE
About 18 months in the DVD door hinge broke & since the door wouldn't stay closed the DVD would not play. A bit of creativity & engineering remedied the issue but without that it would have been trash. Secondly, the ribbon of the DVD eye started to rub the back side of the DVD's & quickly ruined a couple of them. Again, creatively corrected. Lastly, one day it just wouldn't read stating "no disc". No matter what I tried it won't work. Value? 2.5 years periodic use for $100. I won't buy it again.