Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

on February 7, 2013
My severe autistic teenage son is a lot calmer when he listens to music. But he likes it loud, and listens at all hours day or night, as many autistic people do. We bought this for him because it has several features which are great for kids (and even adults):

1) Uses a single AAA battery, which means you can run it longer than most MP3s without having to wait for a recharge
2) No software needed to put music on it, just copy your music to the "Music" folder on the device
3) No cables needed, just plug into your computer's USB port
4) Great simple menus which allow you to select an album (folder), genre, etc...unlike the RANDOM ONLY newer devices
5) No large screen to break (we glued a piece of poly-carbonate sheet over ours for added protection from our son)
6) Very durable/sturdy
7) Excellent sound from the headphones (and we use cheap ones as our son breaks his)

1) Not made anymore, so have to really look to find one
2) Cannot recharge (uses AAAs, so you'd have to buy a separate AAA charger and batteries)
3) Simple, so no wifi, iTunes, etc...
on December 11, 2009
The only plus for this MP3 player is the size, it's very small and can fit in a pocket. It does have a clip, but the clip is so cheaply made and comes off very easily so that you would not want to use it because you could lose the MP3 player. I do like the direct USB connectivity however. I do not like the battery, it should have a rechargable battery, instead you must constantly change batteries. Also you cannot add memory. I would not recommend this item. For the price, buy a Sansa Fuze, which is very comparable to an Ipod.
on April 9, 2011
First off, my reason for getting an mp3 place was for listening to 3 or 4 disc long books on cd.
So, my response is geared towards that and not someone just ripping 1 cd at a time or downloading music off the net.
Also, my review is geared toward the mp3 pictured- that has physical, exposed buttons, and not the newer(?) version that has the buttons buried under the face and you push a spot or symbol on the face.
price/availability- can purchase at walmart/I personally liked that it uses a battery and doesn't need to be recharged/
sound quality- I'm no audiophile, though/and, unlike a previous users experience, I have nothing but positive things to say about
their customer care department
the newer version than the one pictured doesn't have physical buttons, but the buried kind
the biggest con to me is the easyrip software. although you can use windows media to do your work(which I highly recommend)
I kind of sucked myself into their software and had to throw in the towel. It seems like all these mp3 programs are like
excel spreadsheets (even windows media) and are always resorting what ever list I set up based on some "meta" or other data.
And easy rip, takes this, in my opinion, to the "T" ,and there is no way to disable this stuff.

Anyway, I thought the Pearl was decently made and there customer service was above par, but due to the organizing issues it became unusable to me. If you're buying, I'd recommend just using Windows Media, and no matter how tempted, don't use easyrip.

I have since bought a SanDisk Sansa Clip+, and using Windows Media player as the organizing software, have been able to get my files to play as I want.
on August 25, 2012
-This MP3 player is extremely durable. I have dropped in a concrete, from a 2 story building(funny story actually), to marble, tile, and wood surfaces and it still plays my music perfectly. Maybe a 100 drops in all.
-USB connector really come in handy. Better than keeping a cord.
-Small size make it easy to put in pocket.
-Awesome recording system.

-Clip broke in the first month.
-Battery dies a lot. I got fed up and bought rechargeables.
-USB has stopped working CORRECTLY, due to drops, it just play music on without battery now.
-It says on the box right beside me 600 songs BUT ITS A LIE. I MAXED at 287.
-Favorites never save permanently.

I recommend it to anyone who likes things that last some time and can be dropped multiple times without breaking. OTHERWISE, you get what you pay for.
on July 14, 2011
I bought this at Menards for $15. My previous MP3 player is running on 7 to 9 years old and I would use it still if it had room. 512MB was big ... not it's laughably small.

This worked great for a few weeks. Today, as I was doing dips, the device *bumped* the grip and stopped playing. Now ... the power button fails to work. If I hold it for a really long time the device will power up, so I can see every other button working great ... but the power button does not work when pressed, so I cannot go to the menu.

The only reason I am here writing a review is because I am looking for a new MP3 player. Buy something else, especially at the price they are on here.
on March 5, 2011
A word to the wise: Don't buy this trash! Millions of customers have a problem with "memory exceeded, please remove a few files" error.

If you put too many files on the RCA Pearl, it will tell you to remove files and then immediately shut down without allowing you a chance to remove files. The problem is that the error causes it not to be seen by your computer and the buttons on the player are unresponsive. What good is an MP3 player that won't play MP3s?

This should have been recalled for poor quality. Even when this junk worked, it's menu was quite difficult to use and poorly organized. This product is a complete waste of money. If you buy this you will so regret it!
on May 29, 2011
I bought this last year and it was playing well until one day, it just stopped working. It wasnt the batteries either. After ready other online reviews of this Mp3 player, its low end and others have complained their pearl just decided to stop working. Oh well, time to get a new Mp3 player...not a Pearl.
on August 29, 2009
RCA TH1802 2 GB Pearl MP3 Player With FM Radio
This product does not have the SD expansion slot, which I purposely bought the product for. I had to send it back. I am surprise this is still listed as having this capability. Why is this still being advertised as such?
on June 18, 2013
I got this MP3 player at Menards for $27, and, despite the horrible reviews (most of which are right), the product doesn't suck.

I use it mostly for listening to the radio and the many recordings I have made from it. I don't listen to my "Full Music" much because I don't usually buy music, I find the radio recordings are enough for me. In the past year or two, I have been through two of these players (I got the first one from Menards, and the second one from a friend of mine who didn't need it), the first one broke because I was too rough on the port for the ear-plugs. I used to use the Easy-Rip software that came with it, but found it annoying (it would start every time my computer booted), I now just click and drag the files into their respective folders to put music on it. It is quite safe to delete the pearl installer off it, and I recommend not hesitating to do so... The USB is really useful, not just for music, but for transferring files, sometimes, when you need a quick answer to your file transfer, there is the TH1702. Since I have bought this MP3 player, I have recorded a total of 171 radio recordings, whenever I hear a song on the radio worth listening to, I record it and listen to it again later, much better than going out and buying music at the store...

-USB flash drive capability
-Radio and radio recorder
-Easy to use design
-Fits in your pocket
-Button locking function
-Voice recorder
-Bright screen
-Sound quality (awesome)
-Volume (Want to let a friend listen to the song your listening to? Turn the volume to max and hold the ear-bud close to his/her ear)
-Durability (doesn't break easy)

-Clip breaks fast
-Long start up
-Buttons are kind of loud when pressed

Overall, the TH1702 isn't something you should buy from Amazon the same way a candy bar is not worth buying from Amazon: Its not worth the wait for shipping. The price is WAY over what I would expect to pay (its not even worth the $27 I paid for it at Menards, I would expect to pay $15 for this).

This kind of product is just something to pick up as an extra, cheap thing, serve its purpose for a while, then break down and be replaced, not a long lasting high quality MP3 player you would want to use for a long time.
on December 28, 2011
I originally purchased the RCA TH1702 MP3 player from a retail store back in 2009. It worked well for a couple of years, but I started having trouble with the player connecting to a USB hub on the computer. Sometimes the unit would turn on, but not actually connect with the computer, sometimes it would not even turn on. After it completly failed to connect at all, I decided to replace it with the same brand and model from one of the sellers on I then ordered a second replacement to give to a friend. Both arrived a day apart, and were listed by the sellers as 'Used, like new'. Both seemed to be 'new and unused' as they both came with the original music files intact and no additions, and one even came in orginal packaging.

One of the two units had a little trouble connecting, but I was able to connect and delete the music files and load two books onto it. I use AudibleManager as the loading program, and use the players only for 'reading' books. The second unit connected right away with no problems, deleted the original files and loaded the books OK. Unfortunatly, after 'reading' the first two books and attempting to connect again to change programs, this unit, too, failed to connect to the computer - the little screen blinks the 'Pearl' logo, but that is as far as it gets.

After two complete failures in the connecting mechanism, I'm going to have to assume that this is an inherent problem with this particular model. I am giving this device a hearty "Not Recommended".

NOTE: This is an obsolete model, and no longer available new. It does make me question the wisdom of buying a new model RCA MP3 player.