5.0 out of 5 stars Super Simple to Install + Excellent Sound!!!!!!
This is installed in two steps:

1) Install the antenna. This is the "hard" part. You can either put the antenna outside of the car and route inside or in the windshield/ back window. I have a four door and put the antenna on the back shelf behind the back passenger headrest and then just routed the wire. Recption has been A+ and no wires hanging out...
Published on December 11, 2010 by Julie B

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok- but not the best design
The good:
Small footprint
Minimal wiring required as the antenna and aux out plug into the lighter adapter
Cleaner look when installed
Cheap

The bad:
The display doesn't scroll like other XM/Sirius radios
Difficult to change channels using preset buttons
5 presets total
Menu has 2 options Audio level and ID

I...
Published on March 12, 2011 by David Yoder

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Simple to Install + Excellent Sound!!!!!!, December 11, 2010
Julie B (Bethesda, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audiovox XM Snap XSN1V1 XM Satellite Radio Receiver with instant plugin (Electronics)
This is installed in two steps:

2) Install the unit -- This took me about 10 seconds to do. Just plug into the cigarette Lighter(2 seconds) and tune the FM Radio(8 seconds) to the right channel

Sound is excellent. I think SiriusXM figured out how to make the car electrical system a radio transmitter so the signal is super strong for my car radio to pick up on. So, no bleed over, no buzzing, no interference.

Unless you're looking for alot of bells and whistles.. this is as good as it gets and its CHEAP!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok- but not the best design, March 12, 2011
David Yoder (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
The good:
Small footprint
Cleaner look when installed
Cheap

The bad:
The display doesn't scroll like other XM/Sirius radios
Difficult to change channels using preset buttons
5 presets total
Menu has 2 options Audio level and ID

I had an old Sirius Sportster Replay and replaced it with the XM Snap. Having used a full sized unit in the past the things I miss are the full size display and more presets. The biggest issue with this radio I have found is that it is difficult to change the channel as the preset buttons require a firm press and the radio is only supported by the lighter adapter which allows for some movement of the radio. No complaints about the audio quality. You basically give up some functionality and usability for the small size and simple installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice, pretty simple solution for XM in the car, December 23, 2010
When you've been around long enough you learn that everything represents some sort of compromise.... There are few if any clear wins.

The XM Snap! provides an easy, minimal way to get XM going in your car. It is seeming the "best" solution for this in my wife's 2008 Lexus RX350 w/Nav. There were other "better" ways, e.g. $300 (aftermarket) -> $700 (dealer) bits that integrate w/the head unit, but that's wwaayyy too much to spend for XM radio (esp considering $12/mo).

If you look at reviews elsewhere for this radio you'll see that experience varies WRT its FM transmitter. In our area there are only a few "empty" FM freqs & there is a bit of hiss/static using this (and this method is a bit light in bass) but my wife is not picky. May buy & use a cassette adapter someday. The pluses are many for this small, convenient way to go.

+ low purchase price + promotions. great UI for its minimal size (category arrow buttons, presets, knob w/push scan)
+ if lighter location & FM work well for you, just run antenna wire & plug 'er in. (does have audio & FM out jacks btw)
+ small, easy to stow, nice twisting/angling abilities
- antenna wire shorter than my other XM radios, probably could not neatly make it (tucked in, etc.) from front->top rear hatch location that I did w/other radios. antenna wire also has large right-angle plug & large magnet/choke plastic barrel that make routing harder. Took a while to neatly run wire from front of sunroof & down passenger door mouldings, but no wire is visible.
- only 5 presets, but necessary for small size I guess.
- FM transmitter seems weaker & w/slightly attenuated bass compared to my other Delphi XM SkyFis

But again a nice, simple, small solution if it suites your needs. We're happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Radio, September 26, 2011
Gail A. Richards (Southern Inyo county, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these satellite radios because the price was so good! I put one in my husband's F 150, and the other in my Toyota Highlander. I am a female senior citizen and this is our "starter" satellite experience. I was able to install the antenna wire neatly under the molding of the window, through the door hinge and under the carpet just exactly like the directions suggest. Plugging it into the power socket was a "Snap".

I have had rental cars with satellite radio and found all the "bells and whistles" on these units too complicated for my old brain. I like, and purposely chose this unit for its simplicity.

We live way out in the middle of nowhere with no radio reception, so satellite is just right for us. We have many open FM channels from which to choose and the reception is very good.

We have been using the radios for about a month, and so far they are very satisfactory. And, folks, I think the "Snap" is ever so cute in my car. How's that for high-tech?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this radio, November 12, 2012
I'd like to clarify that I DID NOT purchase this radio from Amazon. Though I did want to provide a reveiw for other potential buyers.

******NOTE******
I purchased this radio to replace another XM radio that I DID purchase from Amazon. Unfortunetly that radio stopped working and I had to return it. Because I had purchased it on Amazon(a third party in general), SiriusXM could not, or would not, send me a replacement for the defective radio. I had to either get it myself, or simply return the radio. I chose the latter. So please be aware of this when purchasing ANY XM or Sirius radio from a third party.

One thing you need to know about this radio is that it's as simple as you can get when it comes to XM radios. No fancy bells or whistles. If that's what you're looking for, then I highly suggest this radio. If not, then stop reading this review and keep looking.

If that is what you're looking for then you've found it. There are other XM radio car kit sets, like the one I had to return. This one though is by far so much more simple to install. It plugs right into the cigarette lighter for the power. It has the cord for the antennae(See not below), then the AUX input if you so choose(See Tip below). It's so much of a cleaner install than my other XM radio that I had to return.

The pictures and desription are pretty self explanitory. Five buttons for five presets. Two arrow buttons to change the catagory, and a knob to scroll through the station within a specific catagory.

The price of this radio just adds to the value. You get access to so many stations with simple and inexpensive device.

My only complaint so far is that when you use the scroll knob to browse other stations, it automatically swithces you to whatever station you might pause at. Minor inconvenience, but nothing major. I'm still very happy with the radio.

I would definitely recommend this radio.

******NOTE******
I noticed in the description of this item that it says the Vehicle Magnetic Antenna cord is 22.5 feet long. It's no where near that length. It's closer to 8-10feet. I have a 2012 Honda Civic. I had enough cord to start at the middle top portion of my windshield, run the wire under the weather strip, to the side of the windshield toward the driver door, go into the car, over the steering wheel column, then to my radio. With about 4-5 inches to spare. That distance is NOT 22.5 feet. Just be aware of that if you plan to use this for a larger vehicle. Know the distance you will need.

********TIP*********
I personally tried using the FM connection to listen to my radio. This and my previous radio both had background static that I could not ignore when I tried. So I opted to use the included AUX cable. I now have crystal clear radio. So I defintely recommend using the AUX cable for optimum sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, May 19, 2011
Great product very easy to use, easy to install. It's great to transport from car to car, has less wiring. One tiny tiny problem though is the screen is a little small, compared to the other devices. overall great product and would highly recommend it if you don't wanna spend a lot money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Item at a Perfect Price, February 5, 2013
Got this as a amazon deal and can't say enough about it. Simple set up (no complicated tie in) and great sound. You can literally be up and running in less than 10 minutes. Because it's powered by a cigarette lighter, placement may run from ideal to less than thrilling - that's about it's only downside. FM hookup can be challenging finding a decent blank channel but the unit does have a mini stereo out so you can hook in direct with a cassette tape adaptor or line in if your radio has one. Hard to beat for the price and ease of install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy access to satellite radio, August 14, 2011
I had read the reviews on this item and was a little skeptical even with many good reviews. I was going on a five day trip which was going to be many hours on the road and many of that would be with no radio. I purchased the snap because it was really unbeatable on the price and I figured I couldn't go too wrong with it. I couldn't be happier with it. Like others have said it is really easy to install, just route the antenna (I put it on the roof and routed the wire around and under the dashboard) plug the unit in and let it scan the frequencies. It will give you five days of limited service to decide if you want to keep it but I went online and signed up for the yearly service which gives me access to online listening as well, so when I am at work, I can stream some commercial free music.

I bought a separate antenna for traveling so I was able to mount my normal car antennae permanently. I also found that in the rental car I had I could put the antenna in the dashboard inside the window and it still worked!!!! The sound is fine also, I don't know what would be expected of it for the money, but I think that it will be at least as good as the sound system already in the vehicle.

If you want to get into listening to satellite radio but don't want to spend a ton of money, well this is the radio for you. You can be up and running quickly and cheaply, then it's just a matter of what subscription you want. You can start cheaply or do like I did and get the yearly ultimate subscription which actually isn't too bad when you separate into monthly charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars XMSnap, March 21, 2011
easy to set up and easy to navigate
the simplicity is amazing since this is the 3rd XM radio I have purchased
highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, May 28, 2011
I see where this radio gets it name from - it is a "snap" to install. Just plug it into the lighter socket and connect the antenna. I was replacing an old Sirius radio so I did not bother installing a new antenna; the jack is the same. It fit kind of snug since my lighter jack was behind the transmission lever, so I installed it to the jack in the rear of my car to keep it out of the way. I cannot see the display without turning my head but I figure it won't attract attention of thieves.

I did not have issues with the new weaker FM signal although I will eventually install the direct connection for the antenna jack with the optional accessory. The lowest FM frequency is now 88.1 while my car's radio tunes lower. I'm guessing the FCC grabbed a little bandwidth from the FM band.

My only gripe is the large category buttons which cover the entire face of the radio. I found it impossible to adjust the viewing angle without accidentally pressing the buttons, resolved by setting my favorites in the presets so I can put them back. The buttons push very easily so even on a flexible neck it's possible to operate without much pressure.

You can't talk about this radio without talking about the XM service. I was switching from a Sirius radio to an XM radio. Despite them sharing the same website, satellites, and channel line-up they still run Sirius and XM like two different companies. I needed to create a new XM account and give all my information over the phone again. They tried to slam me for the most expensive package billed annually claiming it was the only package. After resistance on my part the operator "found" a cheaper plan for me which is billed monthly. She claimed she did not have access to my Sirius information.

I had done my homework but did not pay close enough attention to the difference between Sirius Select and XM Select packages. The lesser package on Sirius includes Howard Stern while XM does not. i.e. in most cases, switching to XM will cost you more money if you are a Howard Stern fan. Did I mention they are the same company? The whole process took me half an hour while sitting in my car with the key on waiting for the activation signal.

Waiting for the activate signal takes only five minutes, which was fine because I spent another fifteen minutes canceling my Sirius account. They said they were sorry to see me go. I wasn't going anywhere; I just installed an XM radio instead of a Sirius radio and I'm listening to the same stations on the same channel numbers. Still, I had to pay an activation fee for XM and create a new XM on-line account to manage it. I had a credit of about $3 bucks from Sirius which they couldn't refund because I was a monthly subscriber. I'm figuring it could have been worse.

So, if you are a Sirius subscriber, be prepared to spend half hour of your life chatting with them on the phone while you sit in your car. Do your homework on the packages especially if you are a Stern fan else you could be paying more with XM.

Rate and Discover Movies