Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

on January 1, 2012
I purchased this app when it went on sale in the Amazon App Store for $5 for my HTC T-Mobile G2. I downloaded the database (525MB) so the entire guide is contained in my mobile device. Before it was released for Kindle Fire, I sideloaded it to that device as well, and it works perfectly there. The app is now available through Amazon App Store for Kindle Fire.

This app solves two of the problems I've had with most field guides. First, it uses photographs rather than watercolor renderings of the birds. There may be as many as eight or nine shots of a single species, and anybody who's starting out in birding knows that the one you're looking at in the field doesn't look like the one in the book - but it almost looks like three or four of the ones in the book. Photography makes precise identification a lot easier. You will find shots of males and females in dimorphic species, and there may be shots of juveniles when they vary much from adults.

Second, the other big problem with guides like Sibley, for example, is that they have all 1200 birds in North America, and when you're in the field, you don't usually have time to flip through the whole book. With the Audubon app, you can establish parameters like Midwestern Plains Forest birds, and when you page through, you only have the ones most likely to be where you are to choose from. You can also select by state and month of the year. So you get them all but you also get only the ones that are where you are at the time.

The inclusion of bird calls makes this even better, because you hear them before you see them, and being able to identify them by calls/songs, you have a better idea of what's coming your way. I haven't tried playing calls to draw birds to my feeders - yet. But it's in my future, I'm sure.

Easily the best field guide yet, at least for Android -
on June 21, 2011
This app covers birds in North America. I started my review with this because one of the reviewers on the Android Marketplace rated it one star because it didn't cover Europe.

There is an optional 500+ MB download of all the pictures and text after you install the app. The download took about 3 hours on my Wi-Fi connection. This increases the speed of searches and ensures you have the complete guide if you're birding where there is no data signal available. Updates can be downloaded as they're made available.

There are more pictures than my printed guidebook has. The number varies by species but I have seen up to 9 pictures. They are reasonably clear on my 4.3" screen. Obviously, there is a trade off between picture quality and the size of the download. I don't know the resolution used or how they would look on a tablet screen.

You can sign up for an account to record sightings and for your life list. I don't have a need for these features and I haven't tested them or checked if there is a fee to do this.

Some other useful features are:

- You can sort lists, including search results, by full descriptive name or by the major family. For example, when looking at the Hawks and Eagles category, you can sort them as (Bald Eagle; Broad-winged Hawk; Common Black-Hawk; etc.) OR (Black-Hawk, Common; Eagle, Bald; Eagle, Golden; Goshawk, Northern; etc.). You can also sort by scientific (Latin) name.

- When you are looking at a particular bird, there is a Similar button to show related birds.

- A reference section including useful short articles on birding, conservation, identification, as well as a glossary.

- Access to the camera from the menu.

One very useful feature is that there are sound clips for some of the species, sometimes several different clips identified by gender and intent of the call. The app solicits submission of sound clips for those species not represented.

Unlike the other reviewer, I have no trouble with the range maps on my Droid X (Gingerbread).

The built-in search feature isn't the most intuitive and could be improved (for example, by current GPS location or zip code instead of state). I'd mark it down to 4.5 stars for this and because I've seen a few FCs. However, the FC may be related to a utility app I installed the previous day. Overall, I'm very happy with the app.
on February 21, 2014
Until January 2014 this app was a field guide to birds that was customizable by people who bought it - for a dollar less than the current offering.

Not anymore. It now asks you (repeatedly), if you want to join NatureShare.com. You can respond "Yes" or "Cancel," but cannot say "No." So each time you open the app you'll be asked, and when you view or use your personal lists of birds, you'll be asked again. And if you "log off" (when did I ever "log on"?) you'll be asked to synchronize your lists to their website. They get your information. If you don't, your lists will be deleted from your device and their website.

The app asks for more permissions than any other app on my tablet and there is no way to decline or deny them access, if you want to use the app.

If you had the earlier version (before 4.0.2) the notes and annotations you spent hours creating have all been deleted.
Your personal lists of birds may appear as duplicated - more than once, in a random order, or in reverse alphabetical order, or show only as photos with no accompanying bird names. Change pages and come back to your list and sometimes (not always) the names of the birds do appear beside their photos. But sometimes, the whole app locks up and stops working.

This warning appears on Amazon, if you searched for "Audubon Bird" app below getting to this page:
"Note to Current Users: Please synchronize your Sightings and Lists before updating the app. Select `My Content' from the Landing Page and then select `Synchronize'. Your content will be saved to your... more" - ("Landing Page"? No where to be found.) (Why would a "Current User" be looking on Amazon or any app store to find this warning? Do I have to buy the update, again?)

Click on "more" and the warning or the rest of it is not to be found anywhere on Amazon. Here's the rest of the warning:
"...saved to your...Account." (What account?) "Please contact us at feedback@greenmtd.com with any questions."

Don't count on that either. A week later and no reply to my questions. My email requests show they have not even been prioritized or assigned to anyone. The "Help" and "FAQs" are long lists that are scrollable, but not searchable on my tablet. Be ready to do a lot of reading, but not about birds.

This app is actually a recruitment to a type of "Facebook" organization about nature, instead of a field guide for birds. That website has a whole other set of conditions, permission and sign-on methods and it's where "My account" was automatically created - just needs another password.

I did not and do not want a social website, or field guides to sea shells, mushrooms, plants, fish, mammals or reptiles.
I did not and do not want a social website to "follow" or be "followed," or think I have to learn how to make the contents of my tablet app "private" just because I bought their app.

I guess, everyone thinks they will become Mark Zuckerberg some day, if they have a website or app.

No thanks, to either. App deleted. Was useful for only 5 months. Wasted money and time. Enjoyable when it worked the way it was before. (No way to roll-back the update - it's automatic too.) Buyer (subscriber?) beware.
on February 19, 2014
HUGE red flag with update to 4.02 with all the newly required permissions that an app like this simply does not need unless the developers are up to no good. Everything mentioned below is suddenly needed in this latest version when it worked fine without them before.

Why would a bird app all of a sudden need to know all the accounts on my device?

Why would a bird app need to view my WiFi connections and what devices are connected?

Why would a bird app need to close other apps on my device?

Why would a bird app need to run at start-up? I don't want my phone booting any slower because an unnecessary app has to run at boot.

Why does a bird app need to know precisely where I am?

Uninstalled it from both my devices once I saw these permissions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 28, 2011
While the textual information about each bird does not approach what is contained in an Audubon field guide it is nice to have a a large number of pictures and bird calls available in one application. Unfortunately the final implementation of this application is poor. This is probably because the application was originally written for the iPhone and then minimal rework was done to make it operational on Android. As of this review more Android phones are sold then iPhones, it's time for software developers to give Android owners what they deserve, either native implementations for Android or a web application that works on any phone platform.

What that means for Android owners is poorly resized out-of-focus graphics and spotty screen rotation support. I can only guess that the graphics were made for a different screen resolution and then simply resized for Android rather than being recreated at the correct size. The initial screen you see is a display of fuzzy-looking icons, not a good first impression. Many of the list screens will rotate with the phone, but the page that displays bird information does not. I can scroll through a list with the phone in landscape orientation, but as soon as I select a bird the information is sideways and I have to rotate the phone to portrait orientation.

The default photo size is small. Multi-touch zooming of photos is not supported, you must select the zoom button, then use the zoom in/out buttons below the picture. Photos do not change orientation when the phone is rotated, the phone must always be in the portrait (vertical) orientation. When zooming in on the photo higher resolution images are not used so the image just becomes "pixelated." In effect there is no reason to zoom in on a photo because there is no more detail to be seen. Also, I discovered that when I zoom in on a landscape image the photo becomes distorted and is stretched vertically. Portrait images are stretched horizontally when zoomed in.

Unfortunately this application fails to live up to the high standards set by the Audubon publications and it reflects badly on Audubon. The software can only be classified as amateur in its execution. I guess that Audubon reached an agreement with Green Mountain Digital to develop this software (and other digital field guides) because they did not have the same sort of in-house expertise in phone applications that they do in book publications and decided they would not acquire the necessary expertise. Audubon must demand that contracted, or "in-alliance" software with their name on it meet high-quality standards. Unfortuantely the more I use the application, the less I like it. I would like to replace my mammal and tree identification books with phone applications, this application has convinced me to skip those with the Audubon name and look elsewhere.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2012
You don't need a wireless connection to access the guidebook's database when out in the field, as a previous commenter incorrectly stated. After the initial download of the app to your phone, you download the database, which should move automatically to your SD card. This process can take quite awhile and use a lot of bandwidth, so you should definitely wait till you have access to wi-fi for an hour or more before attempting it.

That said, once the information has been downloaded, you can take your birding guide with you anywhere, as long as your battery is charged! It's a lot lighter to carry than the paper version, especially if you like to have more than one nature guide with you.

The only drawback I've found to the Audubon guides is that 10 to 15 Mb of data stays in your phone's memory (the app portion of the guide), and can't be moved to the SD card. Other than that, I love all of their guides (I also have Wildflowers and Trees), and highly recommend them! To get this app as the FAOTD is just fantastic!
on February 17, 2014
I was very happy with the earlier version and then the app updated and it deleted my life list!!!!!! DAMN!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 28, 2014
Paid for this app, downloaded it and it worked ONCE. It never properly opened again on a Kindle HD 8.9". The screen goes blank and it tells me no species are available and it doesn't work even if I am connected online. Apparently this app was pretty good at one time but has gotten bloated and less functional with successive upgrades. The developers at Green Mountain Digital have been unresponsive. The app is a waste of time and money.

I don't believe it's connected to the Audubon Field Guide publishers. I am in the process of asking Amazon for a refund.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2012
i have a couple audubon books, and this app is a really cool addition. i love that you can listen to what each bird sounds like, and that you can search for birds based on characteristics.

someone mentioned that it requires a data connection. this is true, but there's an option to download all content. that might be the way to go, because there's a noticeable delay when you select a category or a sound for the first time.

the thumbnails for the birds need to be larger, especially if you're scanning the catalog, trying to put a name to a bird you just saw.

also, you can exit the app only through the "more" menu.

overall it's a solid app that runs well, despite these issues.
on June 25, 2012
The first time you start the program it proceeds to download many meg of data into the phone memory, even though I installed the program onto an SD card. I don't know exactly how much space it was going to take, because it filled up all available space on my LG Optimus every time. forcing me to uninstall it. It may be a good program, but they need to figure out how to use the user expandable SD memory and not the limited phone memory.