Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on September 12, 2013
I admire butterflies, often standing transfixed by the intricate designs and shapes they display. Now I can search for the names of the ones I see by searching for the wing shape. Until I purchased this application, I tried to remember the butterfly's shape and color pattern long enough to search using a search-engine. Now, with the details downloaded to my Kindle, I can search with the butterfly still in sight. I see many while boating the many, many miles of Lake of the Ozarks where the internet does not arrive quickly or even make it over all the hills to the waters below. This is another reason that the downloaded version is perfect for my needs. The photos are sharp and lovely, too. If you never see a butterfly in the wild, you would still enjoy studying the myriad shapes and patterns.
on August 25, 2015
The photos are very nice and there are different ways of trying to identify the butterfly you saw. However, I find adding the location kind of cumbersome. Most butterflies I see will be on our property, but each time I would have to start moving the pin from the east coast to Tennessee, then to Nashville then closer and closer. They ought to have the option of just clicking on something like "home turf", so that only once I have to set that location. I realize they are still trying to improve this app because I would also like to learn more about the caterpillars belonging to a certain butterfly, what they look like, the plants they feed on etc. Another problem, once you have posted a sighting there seems to be no way to add your photo at a later date. I cannot walk around with a camera while gardening, but I can spot some buttefly and then make a special trip to try and photograph it. They really need to make this easier.
on January 14, 2013
Tap cancel folks and forget the sign-up, it's optional. Do the download when heading out for an outing. Plan ahead though since it may take a few Minutes. You are now all ready to explore the world of butterflies. When you are finished.... Delete and have it in the future --- in the Cloud and save your space on your device. Simple solutions..
on January 14, 2013
I absolutely love this app. It has a tremendous amount of information and the images are lovely. I am a nature photographer by trade and find this to be an excellent reference guide. I bought this app before it was the free app of the day and have never regretted the purchase. Most people interested in nature will appreciate this app immediately.
on May 10, 2012
This is a decent app. The search functions could work a bit better. It would be nice to be able to enter a specific region like a state to reduce the number of searchable entries into a specific sub-set that would directly interest me. With that said, my daughter and I have had fun looking up butterflies real time as we see them. Not a bad app for recreational use.
on January 14, 2013
I am perplexed by why there are not more five star reviews for this app! It is User friendly, has great graphics and filled with information! You can even log your butterfly sightings. It is not a game which may put some people off. It is exactly what it says it is - a FIELD GUIDE!
on September 11, 2012
The search functions are problematic and poorly implemented with insufficient granularity. (It's hard to find stuff.) Lack of range maps or ability to browse by location is a huge oversight, and the app is slow to load even with a quad-core processor. Once you find what you're looking for, all is well. Lots of info. It would be nice to have caterpillars as well, and some relatively common species are missing.

Images are okay for use on my 7 inch Nexus tablet, if a bit blurry, but I imagine they'd be more than annoying on a 10-inch.

This is a useful app but it does not take the place of a field guide by any means. Is it worth 99 cents? Sure. But I wouldn't pay much more.
on March 11, 2013
It is organized just like the paperback book. Electronic versions benefit is keyword search but if you grew up with reading an index it isn't anything new also if you have limited space this takes up less space than a bookshelf full of guides. Disadvantages is it runs slow, and takes a while to boot up.
on July 25, 2012
This is a lovely app but for a novice it is sometimes hard to to a search to find exactly what you are looking for. It is also very educational app.
on January 16, 2013
I chose this item for several reasons
1 It was free