on January 11, 2007
This product is everything I have always wanted a subwoofer to be. I have had several subwoofers in my home theater and my cars and I was always looking for the felt bass more than the heard bass. It always seems that if you turn a subwoofer up loud enough to feel it, it makes your ears ring. This product allows you to feel the bass, without the excessive noise and ear ringing. I am using the bass shaker in my home theater, under my couch, along with a seperate subwoofer and they make a great combination. When you run it along with the subwoofer, it actually tricks your mind and body into thinking the sub is producing the felt bass (as long as you calibrate the two properly, which is not difficult). As cool as an effect as this product offers, I am surprised that bass shakers are not more of a mainstream home theater/car stereo product.
on February 25, 2010
I waited a long time to buy these thinking it was a little silly.
Well my curiosity finally got the best of me and I bought two of them for my couch. I can say that I never want to watch a movie without these ever again. It adds so much to your movie experience. When watching the transformers it feels like they are ripping through your house it's awsome!!!
They have a very deep rumble feel to them that goes along with your subwoofer so it tricks you into thinking it's coming from your speakers. If you did not tell anybody that they were in your seats people will just think you have the most intense bass they have ever heard from your speakers. This has got to be one of the best theater upgrades I have ever done.
To power them I am using an Audiosource amp100 it works perfect for this.
So all you need is a splitter to split your subwoofer output from your receiver then go into your power amp and out of that to the Aura bass shakers and you will be in the middle of a war zone :)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 8, 2009
I attached one of these to a Playseat and drove it with the Dayton 100W Subwoofer Amp from PartsExpress.

In general, it does definitely add a noticeable measure of realism to racing sims and at a price point much lower than the Buttkicker- though I have to give the buttkicker credit for being wireless. I think by adding the vibration to a racing seat gives greater purpose to a seat other than simply for ergonomic reasons.

One of the nice features about the xbox 360 is that it will also provide optical audio output while simultaneously providing analog audio out. So it was a simple matter of leaving the optical audio connected to my existing home surround sound system, and then connecting the analog output to the Dayton's RCA input connectors.

Alternatively you can also take the subwoofer output of your surround sound amp, feed it into the Dayton amplifier and then have the pass through connection go back to the your surround system's subwoofer. This is probably what you need to do if you use a PS3.

Lastly you take the subwoofer output at the back of the Dayton amplifier and feed that into the Aura.
On the Dayton, turn the gain to just above the middle and turn frequency dial down to about 1/3 and you should get rumbles out of Forza 2 and Race Pro. The seat will shake mildly as you drive and brake and significantly as you drive over the rumble strips. If you want the rumbling to be more frequent, you can turn the frequency dial on the Dayton up a little and it will trigger on slightly higher frequencies too- like the engine noise. The problem with doing this is that at the beginning of a race you will feel the rumble of not just your own car's engine but that of the neighboring ones too. To minimize that you can turn down the audio of the other cars from the game's control panel. Both Race Pro and Forza provide them.

I also tried connecting two of these Aura's to the Dayton amp and found that after a short amount of use (like 15 minutes) it overloaded it, and the safety cutoff kicked in. So far it seems 1 amp per bass shaker is sufficient.
review image
on August 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought both this Aura Pro bass shaker as well as the Buttkicker gamer ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer bass shaker at the same time. I actually used the Buttkicker amp to temporarily power the Aura Pro, with good effect.
The Aura Pro does not shake quite as forcefully as a Buttkicker, but it does an excellent job for the money.
I think it actually does a better job than the Butttkicker with music, greatly enhancing the "feel" of low
bass when used with a decent subwoofer. Just a hint of extra rumble, adjusted so that the bass shaker does not call attention to itself as a separate entity, greatly enhances the music.
For movies and videogames it does a pretty good job as well.
I simply used four screws to attach it to the lower center back portion of my couches wooden frame.
Then attach speaker wire to it just like you would any speaker (preferably from a subwoofer amp and the subwoofer output from your receiver) , and you are set, on the cheap.
on January 27, 2009
Verified Purchase
If you have a home theater, mount a pair or two of these in your coach. You will be able to lower the volume of your sub (ie. save your hearing) while still feeling the rumbling we all crave. Using a parametric eq to smooth the frequency response, especially the 40hz resonance peak, will make these a great addition to any theater.
on July 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
I installed two Bass Shakers (installed in a 2001 Celica) running in series at a 2 ohm load they take it like a champ. I used to run two 12" JL subs but having these installed in both the driver and passenger seat it has eliminated the need for them and now all I'm running is the two Bass Shakers with a 10" Rockford Fosgate. Absolutely Amazing!!!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
I recently purchased some home theater seats to go in our basement media area. I purchased these items to add some additional rumble to the bass when watching movies.

Installation:

Installation really depends on where you are going to be putting these items and what you will be mounting them to. In my case, to installation was as easy as putting a plywood plank along the bottom of the chair and attaching these to the plank.

As easy as hooking up a normal speaker. I have a total of 8 of these shakers wired to a two channel amp. Make sure that the shakers are wired in such a way that they will be receiving enough power. *A note here: Make sure that the amp that you use is capable of running at a 4 ohm load or whatever the ohm rating you will be using. The shakers are rated at 50 watts at 4 ohms, although that may change based on the number that are wired together and the method used.*

One other note on installation, if your seating is sitting on thick carpet or on cement, you may need to purchase some rubber isolators to make sure that the shaking stays in the seat and is not transferred to the floor.

Performance:

As my seats are sitting in the basement with thick carpet, the performance was not quite what I was hoping in the initial setup. Once I purchased the isolators, the performance increased 10 fold. Now, it really packs a punch and I have had to turn them down a little bit to keep from shaking too much.

Pros:

-There is nothing better than watching an explosion on screen and feeling that explosion in the seat.
-Much cheaper alternative than the Buttkickers which can cost up to 3 times as much depending on the model that you get.
-It's fun to watch a movie with people who don't know you have them installed and watch their reaction the first time they shake the chairs.

Cons:

-May need some rubber isolators if they are being installed in chairs on thick carpet or cement.
on April 10, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product to add that low end bass feeling in my apartment without having to turn up my subwoofer and upset any neighbors.

And boy does it do the job! My couch is shaking like crazy and it makes every movie a great experience to watch.

I decided to use a buttkicker 130W amp to push these little guys and that made a combination that shakes the couch with no problem.

A little word of advice on placement... try to make as much contact as possible. I had studs below my couch/futon and first tried to mount them directly to the studs but only two out of the four screw holes actually had a screw in them that was drilled into the studs. The results were okay, but you could tell where the shakers were underneath the couch. I then went down to the local home improvement store and got some peices of wood cut, mounted those over a few studs and then finally mounted the shakers to the wood.

The result was a more spread out feeling and now you can't tell exactly where they are mounted when sitting on the couch.

Overall a great product.
on December 30, 2008
Verified Purchase
Excellent product. Great price. I have been using 6 of these on a sectional they work excellent and 4 of them are over 5 years old.
on February 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
I installed 2 of these in my couch and have watched several movies and listened to plenty of music with them. I'd say they are more geared towards movies and video games. I've had several people come over and they don't know what the heck is going on when they sit down, but they love it and say my sub is amazing etc. But it's just the combination of a decent sub and some subtle shaking.

I'm really glad I got them, it just doesn't feel right watching a movie without them on. For 88 dollars, it's probably the best addition to my home theatre system.

12/15/13 update

They still work great, very happy with the purchase. I have people over ever so often for movies and these bass shakers are always the focus for my guests haha! "Let me turn on the couch real quick." I always get a weird look or I just let them figure out what's going on underneath their rear end on their own. Some of the reactions are worth the purchase alone.

I play video games like Forza, Battlefield, and Call of Duty. One of my friends says it's as close as being in the action as you can get and I agree 100%. Hitting the curbs in Forza and using a large gun on Battlefield can be quite fun. Match these with a nice surround sound system and a projector screen and you'll feel the same way. I've contemplated getting a steering wheel and a shifter to enhance the experience even more, guess we will see about that.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations