4.0 out of 5 stars Did wonders for bass response
This is a quick review, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Published on November 30, 2009 by J. Vetter

2.0 out of 5 stars Do a search for "black yoga blocks"...
Published on September 9, 2012 by Nick Weishampel

4.0 out of 5 stars Did wonders for bass response, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Auralex MoPAD 12 Inches by 4 Inches Monitor Acoustic Isolation Pads, Charcoal (1 Pair) (Electronics)
This is a quick review, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I bought these pads with the intention of tightening up the bass response of my monitors. The difference was immediately noticeable. I first tested them on my glass desk just to get an idea of how much isolation was really taking place in a worst case scenario. I'll be honest, in my opinion the glass desk was still pretty unbearable.

Fortunately, I have speaker stands, and when used with the auralex pads, the bass sounded much more accurate with distinct separation. In addition, the tightening of the bass seemed to clean up the overall response of the monitors, effectively creating a sharper listening experience.

Initially, I was hesitant to spend roughly forty bucks on foam pads. After checking out some reassuring reviews and realizing that making my own would require more effort and research than I was willing to give, I decided to take the small risk. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Also, the ability of the pads to isolate while tilting your monitors upwards or downwards is a welcome benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to., August 15, 2008
My desk used to act as a low-frequency resonator, tainting my mixes and attracting dangerous spirits. Now it's like my monitors are floating above my desk. I no longer hear my desk playing my music, even with my ear to the surface!

2.0 out of 5 stars Do a search for "black yoga blocks"..., September 9, 2012
I've owned a pair of these before and they serve their purpose, but everybody knows these things are over priced for a couple pieces of foam. Try A/Bing them with a pair of black yoga blocks also available on Amazon.2 Pack 4 inches x 9 inches x 6 inches Yoga Blocks - Saver Pack They will do the same exact thing, and look just as good if not better for a lot less, and no one will know that you are using yoga blocks. They are made from very similar material. Don't say I never did you a favor. A pair of yoga blocks will also give you three different height options. They also come in cork for a few dollars more, which is kind of a cool look for your studio. Hugger Mugger Cork Yoga Block

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH EVERY PENNY, October 24, 2013
First of all, let me begin by saying to everyone out there complaining about the price of these do you expect to have good sounding equipment by being cheap? Do you purchase a $30 microphone and expect to record a symphony? Like serious. It's $25. Geez. If you have good monitors and plan on getting the most out of them. Hopefully you paid a lot more for your speakers.

Now on to the review...these things work. And they work well..

The picture is kind of deceiving. You actually get 8 different pieces in the box.,Not 2 as shown in the picture. You get two top halves and two bottom half for each speakers. 4 pieces per speaker. You can use these pieces wisely to adjust the angle of your speakers to aim at your ear level. You can take the top halfs off which will aim the speakers at an extreme downward angle. Or you can leave the top half on and have your speakers level at no angle, a slightly downward angle, a slight upward angle, or use the foam facing backwards for an extreme upward angle.

These adjustments can be critical for monitoring as every little bit towards getting the best SQ you can achieve.

I own a pair or KRK rokit 5 G2s which I have been using for about 2 years now. I usually just have them on a desk and I had gotten use to the rattling because I was ignorant to how much that affects SQ and how it was making me harder to mix. After getting these pads I now wish I would have gotten them 2 years ago!! My soundstage completely opened up, i can now hear tighter more precise bass. Even small little details stand out more. I went back and mixed down a couple old songs again and they now sound even better than ever. They also do their true job of eliminating rattle perfectly. My desk doesn't shake at all! It's a completely new sounding experience for me now. These little pads are the truth and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone with a home studio.

Please read this and spend the extra money on these. You won't regret it and they look really professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, January 13, 2011
I bought the SpeakerDude HD platforms because I was having problems during mix down. It was hard to distinguish bass, and bass drum frequencies because of the vibration coming from my speaker stands. After putting these under my studio monitors, I immediately noticed a huge difference in the mid and low frequencies, and NO VIBRATION. They make mix downs easier to accomplish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., November 10, 2011
The reviewer who wrote that that these are "cheap foam" worth $5.00, doesn't understand or appreciate the quality of these speaker isolators. A/B these with some $5.00 cheap foam and you will realize how good these Auralex isolators work. I am using a pair of Behringer Truth active speakers that weigh 33 pounds each. These isolators not only support them very well but solved a big problem I had. It seems my speakers were "audio coupling" with the console they were placed on making the console vibrate with the spaekers and muddy up the lower fequencies.
My problem started when I noticed that my mixes sounded good on other systems except for the bass frequencies around 80-125 HZ. Apparently my Behringer speakers were not accurately reproducing that fequency range and I was EQing that range badly to compensate. I didn't hear it when I mixed my Hafler M-1 speakers. I was about to give up on the Behringer Truth speakers but I really thought that they sounded excellent on every other frequency and are very detailed in every other range. The Behringers also had all the power I needed (active speakers) and can be played really loud in my studio without any distortion. Except for what I can only describe as a muddy or not clearly detailed low end, I love these speakers. Fortunately I was at a friends studio (a great pro studio) and I saw that he was using the Auralex Isolators under his speakers. He said he loved them. I bought them and placed them under my speakers and remixed a project I had been working on. WOW!! What a difference. It was an immediate difference. The bass is now nicely detailed and that muddy tone is no longer there. I had to reajust the EQ on the lower frequencies (cut them back to almost flat)on the new mix. I immediately bought a 2nd set for my small Hafler speakers. Why take a chance that they were also not reproducing accurately. These isolators are a great product and problem solver that saved me from buying new speakers and discovering that I still had the same problem. "Cheap foam"?? I don't think so.

2.0 out of 5 stars Search for "Black yoga blocks" and save money, September 9, 2012
I've owned a pair of these before and they serve their purpose, but everybody knows these things are over priced for a couple pieces of foam. Try A/Bing them with a pair of black yoga blocks also available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Block-Beveled-Edges-Black/dp/B00994II5C/ They will do the same exact thing, and look just as good if not better for a lot less, and no one will know that you are using yoga blocks. They are made from very similar material. Don't say I never did you a favor. A pair of yoga blocks will also give you three different height options. They also come in cork for a few dollars more, which is kind of a cool look for your studio. Hugger Mugger Cork Yoga Block

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't completely remove my desk vibrations, November 6, 2012
Whilst I applaud this product for working as advertised with cleaner sounds, less muddy bass, less vibrations I'm a bit annoyed that vibrations are still noticeable from my mini-subwoofer (its a desk sub with no remote). I guess if I wanted something that offered true isolation I'd have to spend 4x more

Despite my cons I'm still pleased with the wedges that allow angle customisation for any future setups & its great for anyone who's currently dealing with rattling windows/obvious vibration sounds/thin walls between neighbours.

Also note that you get 4 pads per box. I accidentally ordered 2 sets thinking that there were only 2 in each, its a little confusing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tunes frequencies from mid range down, May 3, 2010
These may seem like cheap pieces of foam that would cost [...] at most. Maybe they are...but they are not like any 'ol foam you might find. I am a musician with a good set of ears and a very good system that is detailed from the mid range down to start with. I found that since they do isolate tones (specs are included that detail which and how much) they give you a sense of what these frequencies do for the music when you can hear them together but in more separate form. The analogy would be in viewing a good photograph with a strong shadow tone that is rich but just one solid tone versus a better print that would show this strong shadow with 3 separate tones very close together. So instead of just saying they isolate and reduce vibration would be selling them a bit short. They will not make your speakers better than they are but what they do provide will be represented more accurately. I think it depends also of what you are expecting. As far as taking away obvious buzzing or oscillating lower bass from counter tops etc. is fairly a given. They do not isolate 100%. To do this takes more sophisticated material. So you may hear obvious improvement immediately or it make take some time to sit with the sound. If you want miracles to happen while running around with music in the background, this is not the type of product you want unless you are trying to get rid of some rattles which they may or may not do depending on what frequency is causing this and how much....and in which recording. As in all recordings some will reveal this stuff and others won't. In my judgment, these are meant to lift the speakers off the surface. To do this they don't have to cover every little bit of your speaker cabinet. I have large Dahlquist speakers that are about 2 inches wider than these platforms and hang over the back about 6 inches. They are stable. I have them tilting the 4 degrees downward since they are so high. To provide different angles depends on how you place the platforms. There are those that will hear no difference. This difference may be there or they may have a situation that just doesn't have too much oscillating stuff going on but if you are the type that appreciates this kind of detail you may be pleasantly surprised. But you need to give them a chance. I needed to sit back a bit for a couple of weeks to hear this "tuning" that I speak of. I wrote this not to be too detailed here but to offer an opposing view to the person who sent them back seeing them as cheep pieces of foam. These are fairly new products in their lineup but cheaper. Before these they had (and still do) basically what seems to be what these are but split in half. Therefore I would have had to buy two pair and this would cost twice as much. [...] and I could experiment but at 100...this would have been too much. I am glad I had the opportunity. Made an important difference to me. Again, you may not get quite the separation of tones I hear because I have these fancy speakers but it would seem that less of quality would benefit. And lastly because the lower tones are more clear the upper mid and high frequencies sound better to but it is the bass area of tones that are key here. Amazon is good on returns so in my mind this is worth the risk but check this out more specifically before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you value your sound ..., July 18, 2011
... buy these. Price seems high for a couple hunks of foam--I suppose you could make your own, but they probably wouldn't be very aesthetically pleasing. These pads angle the Audioengine 5 speakers on my desktop slightly upward toward my ears and eliminate bass vibration ... worth every penny to hear clearly the sound you paid for.

Rate and Discover Movies