5.0 out of 5 stars Nice setup, but apparently, style costs money
To start with, I don't know very much about magnesium or other fire-starters, so my review here might be moot for those more experienced.

But if you've never really owned one and are curious what a first timer's experience is, read on.

I received these just a few days ago (I purchased two for bug out bags).

In terms of a flint creating a...
Published on March 6, 2012 by Tetsu Noguchi

3.0 out of 5 stars Great spark, great tool.
This product produces more spark than I'd expect. Good little gadget. I rate 3 of 5 due to the rod mysteriously breaking while in its shell. I will probably buy another seeing as how that seems like an isolated incident, but it might be worth mentioning the rod itself seems more fragile than I expected.
Published on April 11, 2012 by Numek

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice setup, but apparently, style costs money, March 6, 2012
Tetsu Noguchi "tekkster" (Santa Clara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA

I received these just a few days ago (I purchased two for bug out bags).

In terms of a flint creating a spark, my only other reference are lighters and I can definitely see that compared to a lighter, this thing produces a lot more sparks. As a birthday gift, I receive the Zippo flint and tinder that is in an orange zippo case. That solution works just fine and I love the all in one solution it provides, but the Magnesium fire starter is much more effective at producing sparks.

I've tested three methods for starting fires over the past few days, all using the aurora, and while some methods are more efficient than others, they all work, proving that these kinds of sparking tools are effective, and with 4K strikes, will last a long time and more importantly, have an indefinite shelf life as far as I can tell. Something that is of critical importance to me.

For those experience with starting fires, my efforts may seem trivial, but such as they are:

- cotton smeared with vaseline: 1-5 strike (less than 10 seconds to get a fire going, last about 4 minutes)
- twine soaked and dried in parafin wax: 10-20 strikes (about a minute to get a fire going, last about 2 minutes)
- super light hair-like dried weed tinder: 20-50 strikes (about 5 minutes to get a fire going, last about a minute)
- thin branch tinder: 100+ strikes (about 15 minutes to get a fire going, last about 2 minutes)

I'm sure with practice, I'll improve those times for naturally found tinder, but in either case, this magnesium starter does work effectively.

Some descriptors:
- The long cap holds the metal striker blade in an idiot proof bracket
- There is an o-ring to protect the magnesium portion from getting wet....why I dunno, it works when wet
- It's heavier than another magnesium starter i held in hand at a retail store
- The metal cap is largely unnecessary, making me think this is stylistic more than functional
- The price is expensive compared to others, but I think it's because of that metal cap.
A cheaper one would do just fine.
- I you don't mind a premium for that style, I have to admit, it does look good.
- There is an initial coating that you have to get through before striking produces any sparks, but just a few strikes and you're through that layer.

I really believe, though, that you need a lot of practice with this striker, setting up tinder, and building up fires to really make firestarting effective in a real world environment. So if you get one, try to practice building fires every once in a while. Like grilling great steaks, driving a manual shift, or doing basic tricks on a bicycle, no practice makes you rusty. And rusty in a real world mission critical scenario could get you into trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fire starter in the world, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
This thing is amazing. Very solid build. I was nervous during the shipping process because I was hoping I wouldn't get the one with the wrong blade or get tricked into getting the cheaper model, but you can see as clear as day the difference between the stainless steel and tungsten/cobalt blade. The latter has no shine to it at all. Almost a dark cement color to it. I tested this out in the backyard with the included cottonballs and boy did it only take one try. After you scrape off the protective coating, the "flint" is silver, like magnesium. The only downside is it was a pain in the bum to put paracord through the lanyard hole. I had to use tweezers and a lot of patience. Overall, I VERY highly recommend this product to anyone who needs a nice quick fire.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great spark, great tool., April 11, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars If you appreciate the best, this is it!, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
If you want a fire starter that is built as well as any can be, this is it. No matter how closely this beauty is examined, it will impress any serious prepper, and you will know that it will work when you need it. Unless you do something totally stupid to damage the ferrocerium rod, or (heaven forbid) you lose it, you will own this Aurora 2SA for the rest of your life. It's that kind of quality. Proudly carry one with you everywhere everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRE STARTER!, September 17, 2013
WOW.... That's it.

I bought for my emergency kit, and I will be buying another couple. Initially, after reading reviews, I bought a much cheaper a magnesium with saw starter to get my feet wet. I tried a couple techniques to get a fire going. Although don'tget me wrong, they will work, they don't seem as "easy" as this.

On my last camping trip I didn't even need matches! I gathered some tinder and dry grass, and low-and-behold, I got fire on my first strike! Not just fire, but it literally flamed up and singed my arm hairs! The next couple nights I used it with equally impressive results, creating my campfire within a couple strikes! I can't see any other firesteel being much better than this!

Impressive INDEED!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best spark yet !, August 26, 2012
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
Great stick sparked a dry cotton ball in less than 3 seconds. Tried the Harbor freight version and there is no comparison. The only reason i didnt give the item a 5/5 is because the diameter of the stick is not as thick as i'd prefer. I could see it breaking in half after it wears thinner. AWESOME SPARK !

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fire starter, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
Now that I've had some time to play with this gem, I find this fire starter very dependable and a must have for all serious outdoor types.
I've used Coghlan's fire starter paste in a tube (works great as long as you have something to light it with), the magnesium bar type fire starters, (nearly worthless) water proof matches and now the Black Aurora.
Once the black coating is scraped from the rod, it creates a shower of sparks that ignites everything I've used for tinder which includes: Dryer lint, cotton, tissue and a variety of dried desert plants.
The instructions are clear but I'd advise doing a little practicing before heading out into the wilderness. I think that holds true for any and all emergency gear you may need to keep alive.
Beyond that, there isn't much else to say. The Aurora works! It works better than any other fire starter of its type that I've used and when used in conjunction with the fire starter paste I mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to find a better system.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
Throws a nice spark and the size makes it easy to take every where with you. Wish the rod was replaceable but is very easy to use. You will carry it everywhere making sure you always have the ability to start a fire when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works GREAT! Literally started a fire on the floor of ..., January 5, 2015
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
Works GREAT! Literally started a fire on the floor of my office just messing around with it...oops!

5.0 out of 5 stars "How about a little fire, scarecrow?", May 24, 2013
This review is from: Aurora Fire Starter 2SA
This thing is the bomb! It throws hot sparks all day long with little effort, and if you can't start a fire with this baby, you need to stay inside!
All tucked into a light weight but sturdy package, these belong in everyone's emergency kit!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›