4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shredder but Pricey
Published on March 4, 2009 by MadDog

1.0 out of 5 stars One bad unit
I bought this product after reading the largely positive reviews here on Amazon. I guess I got one of the units that quality assurance missed.

Published on September 5, 2009 by retired1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Shredder but Pricey, March 4, 2009
This review is from: Aurora AS1018CD 10-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper/Credit Card/CD Shredder with Basket (Office Product)
I bought this shredder to replace an earlier Aurora shredder( AS1015CD ) which basically had identical functions as the AS1018CD. The CD/DVD shredding function has substantially improved over the AS1015CD. The CD/DVD/credit card pieces that came out of this shredder are even finer than the corresponding paper confetti and infinitely better than the 8 pieces( yes only 8 pieces and at times still attached )that came out of AS1015CD. So far, I have shredded paper, credit cards, and CDs with no major issue. Yes, the shredder makes horrible sounds when shredding CDs but it is normal and please stay calm. My typical shredding job is 200 to 300 sheets of 20 lb. 8-1/2 X 11 paper and the frequency is once per week. To date, the shredder has not over-heated at my utilization level( thanks to the improving ventilation design of the AS1018CD over AS1015CD ) and it has jammed only once( ironically by a single sheet of thicker paper but it resumed operation after I used the reverse function to undo the jam ). What I have not tried is AS1018CD's ability to shred 10 sheets in a single pass. I have tried 6 sheets and it worked, but I did not, do not and will not try 10 sheets for fear doing so may damage the tiny gears that drive the cutter block. If that happened, the shredder is gone. My AS1015CD was ruined that way. Except for the price tag for this shredder( I paid only $43 + tax for my AS1015CD compared to $79.98 for this shredder at Amazon.com ), I am very happy with my purchase thus far although the long term durability of AS1018CD remains to be seen. Also, lubricating the shredder block with cooking oil is a good idea and it helps the shredding function. Putting oil in an envelope and then feed it to the shredder is a low cost alternative to lubricant sheets that are available in the market. Just make sure the oiled envelope spans the entire length of the feed slot, otherwise some part of the cutter block will not be lubricated. If you cannot find an envelope that spans the entire feed slot width, you may have to feed a nummber of oiled enveloped along the width of the feed slot to ensure the entire cutting block has been lubicated. One last thing: after the oiled envelope was shredded, run the shredder on reverse for 30 to 60 seconds to spread the oil within the cutter block.

Update( March 16, 2009 ): Jammed the second time over the weekend by acculmulated confetti on the cutter block. Operation resumed after using the reverse function. Recommend emptying or compacting confetti in the basket every 40 sheets of shredding. This shredder cuts regular paper staples like butter. No need to remove them from the papers before feeding to the shredder.

5.0 out of 5 stars AURORA AS1018CD SHREDDER - GREAT, October 12, 2007
Cathy B. Puckoris "Cathy P." (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This shredder is perfect for home shredding. It does exactly what it says it will do. We have shredded CD's, thick envelopes and letters, etc. with ease. No jamming has occurred, the shredder has handled everything wonderfully and shreds in tiny pieces like confetti so we do not worry about identity thieves. Such a relief. Highly recommend this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will, November 24, 2007
I'm totally satisfied with the AS1018CD - it does what it says it will.
It is a great improvement over my old cheaper Aurora shredder which also
did what it said it would. This one is about 4 times as fast and a bit
quieter as a bonus. I recommend it for home/home office use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shredder works just like it should, March 1, 2008
Product works very well, no problems, both during the initial very heavy-duty catch-up phase of shredding years worth of documents and now on a daily basis. Also, with the super-saver shipping, it still arrived in 2 days.

1.0 out of 5 stars One bad unit, September 5, 2009

I shredded one full basket without problems. I was impressed with the speed of the unit and pleased that while the basket is relatively small, the cross shredding process allows denser packing of paper than the older unit I was replacing. I was careful not to exceed the 10 sheet limit, I did not try to shred any credit cards or CD's, and I removed all staples before shredding.

As the red light lit, indicating the second basket was full, I heard a loud noise followed by a high-pitched whine. A call to tech support verified that the drive gears has stripped. I was advised to return the unit to Amazon to avoid a shipping charge to the factory in California. I got through to tech support with no wait and the person I talked to was knowledgeable and spoke colloquial english. I mailed the unit back today.

5.0 out of 5 stars better then expected, March 25, 2008
Purchased this item with a gift certificate.
All members of the family have been using this shredder now, from shredding credit cards, several pages of paper....to shredding CD's and data disks.
This shredder has taken everything in, and seemed to handle it effortlessly!
I was very, very surprised about the sturdy design, and how heavy in weight it is. (Which is, no doubt, a good thing in this case!)
I highly, highly recommend this shredder, not only for home use, but a business as well.
I would buy again, without hesitation!

1.0 out of 5 stars AURORA AS1018CD, September 6, 2010
K. Waldmann (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
After about a year the shredder stopped working; the motor ran but the cutters stopped turning. I disassembled the unit and discovered that the two main gears that transfer motion from the motor to the cutting assembly are made of plastic or nylon. The first gear contacting the motor shaft had stripped, rendering the shredder inoperable. This is a poor design; I would not recommend this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SHREDDER I'VE EVER BOUGHT!!! WORTH EVERY $$, August 26, 2008
I'VE Purchased 2 shredders Prior To This One, Not This BRAND/MODEL And I've Got To Say This Aurora IS Much Faster,Much Quieter AND IS THE BEST OF THE 3 BY FAR! Also This shredder is really rugid and is really powerful. I've shredded lots of CDs/Credit Cards & Lots of mailers/flyers and lots of 8 to 10 sheet folded envelope junk mail witithout even opening them... Great Product the Aurora AS1018CD 10 Sheet Crosscut Paper/Credit Card/CD Shredder with Basket...

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Built, May 21, 2008
I got mine for $80...My last one was a Fellowes $40 model. This one is really solid and seems fairly powerful. I haven't tried shredding CDs or credit cards but I've fed about 6 sheets of paper at a time and it handled that no problem. Interesting that Aurora recommends using a little cooking oil on paper and run through the shredder once a month...A lot cheaper than shredder oil...Anyway it's a good size for a personal shredder and has a window to see when paper is high and needs to be emptied. I'm happy with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and quick, January 12, 2009
Purchased this because of an aurora that lasted 8 years under heavier than recommended load, light duty consumer version that should have died. I'm brand loyal, to quality. Couldn't find one at local retail, sought out aurora online specifically.

This model is another solidly constructed product. Quickly shreds up to 10 sheets and credit cards, truthfully didn't buy it for nor test it with CD shredding. After initial runs, expecting a long life repeat. Glad to see honesty in the manual, recommends veggie oil lube, no need to buy specific maint supplies.

I'm not sure who expects a shredder to be whisper quiet, I expect it to tear stuff up, and this one is a reliable terminator of the tree life cycle.

Rate and Discover Movies