Published on December 6, 2011 by lollipopsandlattes

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute owl
My 2-year-old is obsessed with owls after a zoo trip so I bought this for him for Christmas. The construction quality is a little disappointing, the eyes are not perfect, and you have to style the ears to make it look like the picture. The feet are very firm, so it's not the best for cuddling, but stands up great! My son loves it despite the cons.
Published on January 5, 2011 by R C

5.0 out of 5 stars My inner-child has connected with this owl, but I shall still give him to my two-year-old!, December 6, 2011
lollipopsandlattes (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
Confession: this is meant to be a toy for my nearly two-year-old, and YES, I will give it to her :), but I have not yet had the heart to wrap it. I'm not generally a stuffed animal kind of person, though I do feel that they are important for kids to have, for with them, your children can imagine all kinds of things and get a little comfort, too (especially if they really connect with the toy). My inner-child has connected with this owl. I will update this review once I see how my little one responds to it, and the reaction it elicits from my seven-year-old.
But for now...
Here's what I have noticed about this beautiful owl. He has those large, bright, penetrating, wise-looking eyes, and they feel tightly secured (I have tugged at them, as I am anticipating that the eyes will get a lot of attention from the little one). His beak is pointed, petite, and spotted with flecks of black. It looks sharp (though it's really not) and is made from a firmer kind of material. His wings have extremely limited flexibility (they cannot be raised to pretend that he's flying). His feet are made from the same material of the beak, which enables him to stand--yes, you can knock him over--but a slight tap won't do it.... stable little guy.

What I love: the exquisitely soft feel of his belly: very soothing to the touch. But, that said, he's not one of those stuffed animals whose bodies conform to the needs of your arms. I guess you could say that he's not really a cuddle creature, but one who is meant to be stroked. Still, he is compact, which will make it easier for my little one to tote around.

Concerns: The hair (meant to be feathers) around his tiny but well-defined ears is wispy, and MAY be pulled out easily by a child as young as mine. Also, since he is meant to be spot-cleaned and not placed in the washing machine, I will have issues if she drools on him. Still fell in love with him, though, and thought that this might be a subtle introduction to learning that there are, for instance, different kinds of "birds" out there.

I actually think that my seven-year-old is going to be drawn to him, and I believe he would be more appropriate for that age group (assuming your child likes owls), especially if your kids are fans of the Guardians of Ga'hoole Boxed Set, Books 1-4, or are Harry Potter fans who do not feel that they MUST have Hedgwig.

Again, I will update, but my final words are: he is a gorgeous creature, and I am enchanted by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars So CUTE!, September 16, 2007
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
I got this for my mom for Christmas last year. All my friends were trading stuffed owls. (We were doing a Harry Potter theme thing.) And my mom said she wanted an owl too. So I searched for just the right one for her, and I found this one. Its so cute! The picture really doesn't even do it justice. Its soft and the eyes are so intense its hard to believe its a stuffed animal sometimes. I swear there's some sort of intelligence behind those eyes. lol I got my friend the "Snowy Owl" from this same company, and it too is beautiful. I would recommend it. Just note, in my personal opinion its really not a toy. It should be looked at not played with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slender Owl, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
Mine looks a little cross eyed, and looks thinner than the stock image shown above, but decently realistic looking and cute at the same time (see my uploaded customer submitted image, if you're interested).

The material used is very soft, have very nice silky soft feel to it. But the ear-tufts needs some styling/setting if you know what I mean when you open the plastic bag in which this owl was squeezed in. The body itself is rather stiff to touch (while feather itself is soft), so not recommended for hugging/cuddling. It's better perched on the shelf, but you'd be tempted to occasional tickling or rubbing of its stomach. It stands on its own with the chubby feet and the rather stiff, stumpy tail. If I could make a suggestion to the manufacturer, I'd say please use different material for its beak...(scaly feet is fine, but a beak? Please, no.) But overall, its a nice product made with decent craftsmanship at a very nice price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute owl, January 5, 2011
R C (Colorado) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice owl!, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
This owl is so realistic, when I took it out of the box my dog thought it was real and attacked it. It survived :)

4.0 out of 5 stars owl theme, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
Purchased this owl for guest bedroom being decorated with the owl theme. Very pleased with the detail and quality of this item. Met and exceeded my expectations for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic, with a few flaws, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
The picture of this is is a pretty cool-looking stuffed animal. Definitely not your run-of-the mill cutesy toy. With that in mind, I made something of a misstep buying this for a 4-year-old as a Christmas present. That's TOTALLY on me, no stars taken away for not appealing to such a little kid. I should have known my audience better. But what I was really not too happy about was that the owl was sort of misshapen, and his fur was stuck going crazy directions. This made it really hard to tell what the creature even was, I assume this happened because of its packaging. The two little tufted horns were flattened, not poking up like the picture shows. So, it lost its appeal even as an unusual toy. Plus, it's body is just awkward. If it's going to sit on a shelf - great (although mine also won't stand up, it just topples over). If it's actually going to be a kid's toy - not so much. It's stiff and boxy.

I love the way this looks in the picture, and if my critter resembled this, I'd be a lot happier with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Eyes!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
My twin 2-year-old grandsons are very interested in owls. I wanted a stuffed toy owl that had BIG eyes and looked as realistic as possible. I bought 2 of these owls, one for each grandson. Although this owl is not squishy soft for a snuggle, it looks very realistic! The boys LOVE the eyes, which, face it...that's what makes an owl cool!! Sitting on a shelf in their room watching over them, the owls look wonderful. I let the boys play with the owls only when supervised because I want to put them up when they are finished so that the owls don't get stepped on, etc. Overall, I am happy with these owls...they LOOK great, even though they aren't really a snuggle owl....but I would rather have them look real. I use it as a chance to teach the boys to be gentle with "animals" and to take care of certain toys!!! It's all good!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
It's not only a cute item, but it has a fierce look to it. Quality and price are very great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good size, good shape, but a little deformed in the head, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Aurora World 9" Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl (Toy)
This owl looks nice and is a good size but it came tightly wrapped in plastic, which totally mangled the head fluff. I had to try to re-shape it when it arrived and still it doesn't look perfect. But you can still tell it's an owl, and it's nice and soft.

Aurora World 9"  Barney the Plush Great Horned Owl