Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 13, 2013
This book is another very good narrative of the holocaust. It is not as emotional as some as it is told from a doctors experience i find that it can be a little clinical in its descriptions. however it still portrays the horror and fear all are feeling.
on February 1, 2014
This book first off was an excellent read. And the history involved was very hard to read because of it's content. We are still trying to understand why? And alway will try to explain why. But more important is what happened to these unfortunate people. And of course we must Never Forget. More then anything else we must never forget just how far people will go in self destruction and the destruction of others. Look at Vietnam, North Korea, Africa Iraq, Iran and now again North Korea.
Read this book! See what happen to the Jewish, Polish etc peoples. This can and does happen over and over. And there is nothing like an Eye Witness that can write will and here he write will
on June 12, 2016
I found this to be a difficult read, but not for the usual reasons when confronted with the horror of the Holocaust. This survivor had "a room" with a view of skies and sunlight. He had clothing, food, cigarettes, an occasional drink. He qualified these comparative luxuries by describing his sorrow at the suffering of others. But this doctor survived by assisting in atrocities against others caught along side him in the Nazi web of horror. I kept reminding myself to ask what lengths I might go to survive in order to continue reading his account. I wanted to feel sympathy for his experience, but he came across as self-serving rather than noble or humane.
on April 11, 2000
For Dr. Nyiszli to bear witness to the day-in and day-out horror of Auschwitz, and still be able to write about it, is quite unreal. Working as a pathologist for Dr. Mengele in the confines of the crematorium compound, we read of the horrors of the camp, and how both inmates & guards coped.
on February 17, 2005
This first person account by an anatomist/doctor who assisted Mengele in completing autopsies is suprisingly perceptive and sensitive. It differs greatly from some other narratives I have read. It was not the Dante's Inferno that Elie Weisel describes. I believe Weisel sensationalized. Departing from the transports was not punctuated by brutal Nazi's beating people to death. Instead, the doctor describes order and tolerance; this actually seems believable as the guards want the least resistance in your walking to your death. Moreover, I am sure each experience varied significantly. I must say we can't just "not forget," it is not enough. Rather we must understand the variety of experience and not sensationalize the event needlessly. The danger of this is presenting the material inaccuratley, resulting in our inability to recoginize the signs that it could all be happening again. Miklos does not do this.

What also fascinated me was his relationship with Mengele. Mengele had a bitter harsh side. Once Miklos was humanized, he was treated quite well by Mengele. He even let him find his family and bring goods to assist their survival. Also, the day to day life of the Sonder-Commando's that he is paired with and medically attends to was heartbreaking as they lived under an assured death sentence. See Tim Blake Nelson's The Grey Zone.
on August 23, 2015
Unbelievable but true story of the horrors of the concentration camps. That this doctor survived and was able to document the reality of the mass murder of millions is a miracle in itself . Not a. Writer but a heart wrenching recounting of horrors of ww11. I am grateful this man survived.
on August 12, 2015
This book was a very interesting read. It gives a glimpse into the horrors of Auschwitz, and also a a look into little know activities within the camp. For the historian, or lay person, the book is a great learning experience.
on July 9, 2013
This book gives the reader a look inside the death camps of Auschwitz. Tho it may be hard to read some of the cruel and inhumane treatments that were instilled on human beings it is worth the reading.

In time the survivors of the Holocaust will not be with us but will join their loved ones in a better place, so we need to carry on the stories of the lives that endured to make sure that this NEVER happens again in today's world. Many school teachings are being changed they are changing what our children read and learn about. They are restricting the true history that happened to so many so we need to be there to carry forth the true history of our world and not to leave anything out.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to learn the horrible truth of a vicious man and how he changed the lives of millions of people during his rain of terror.

:'~(
on August 22, 2015
An incredible narrative of a doctor who was an unwilling participant in the inhuman experiments personally overseen by Mengele and his tribe of men destined for eternal damnation. Frightening, but true. We cannot repeat this again. Excellent writing.
on August 21, 2014
I don't have the words to express adequately what I just read. I couldn't put this book down. A doctor's rare account of working with Menegel , the madness of a people trying to exterminate an entire race by murder. All I can tell you is this is one of the most horrifying accounts of Auschwitz I have ever read. The author did his job well,he lived so this story could be told to the world. A very well written book...one I won't ever forget.