Austin Powers in Goldmember (BD) [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$9.03 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 11, 2002
Format: DVD
There's much more to this movie than might be seen by your average reviewer. Yes, it repeats itself. Yes, it uses obvious gags. But, such is the spirit and style of the Austin Powers series. Myers may reuse jokes, or use obvious gags.... but the point here is that he does them WELL. He isn't repeating material from the first two movies because he's lazy. Anyone who knows him will tell you very quickly that he'd never let that happen... he is doing is because its funny. The opening is an obvious preparation for such total absurdity (and even a mockery of its own popularity) and all references to earlier movies are done with such self-consciousness that he obviously wants us to think about the previous films. He isn't trying to make it seem new.
Its barely a shallow movie, either. If anyone knows the background to the Austin Powers series, you've probably heard about Mike's amazing devotion to his father, Eric. (note the name of the production company.... Eric's Boy) And, what subject perpetuates Goldmember, in jest or in somber truth? Family and fatherhood. No, this isn't Shakespeare, but he is contemplating an issue in a special way that only a comedian can do. It is as if he is laughing at the Mike Myers that made the first two films. On that level of self-realization, the film is hardly shallow. If comedies aren't your bag, or you have to cry all the way through something for it to say anything to you personally, that's fine, but lets remember that this is a comedy, folks. Laugh a little. It won't hurt. I promise.
With that, I tip my hat to Austin, Dr. Evil, Fat, and Goldmember. Mike is one of the most talented comedians of our era, and I look forward to seeing what he comes up with next.
on October 21, 2002
Format: DVD
YEAH BABY!!!! Austin Powers is back, and as funny as ever. This movie features non-stop laughs that will have you rolling on the floor. I swear, what they said is right about how it has more laughs in one minute than some whole films (Zoolander!). Okay, I'll admit that the story is pretty nonexistant (there is some nonsense about a satellite and a meteor), but we don't go to Austin Powers movies for the plot, we go for the jokes, and this one has some killers. I especially enjoyed the opening credits scene with all the celebrity cameos. Dr. Evil (my hero) is funnier than ever, though its Mini-Me who really steals the show. Fat Bastard, while crude and gross, has his share of laughs. But we can't forget Austin himself, now with his father Nigel. Go see this movie if you want to laugh without having to use your brain for an hour and a half. You'll love it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My twenty years old daughter and her boyfriend invited me to the movies with them to see the latest Austin Powers film. I went, somewhat reluctantly, as it is not the film I would have chosen, even though I had previously seen the two other Austin Powers films and enjoyed them. Well, am I ever glad that I did! It was, without a doubt, the funniest Austin Powers film to date.
From the great opening scene to the surprise ending, replete with cameos by Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito, the Ozzie Osbourne Family, Steven Spielberg, Britney Spears, Burt Bacharach, Quincy Jones, Nathan Lane, Katie Couric, and John Travolta, the film is a laugh riot. Austin Powers (Mike Myers) still has his mojo amd, together with his gorgeous female sidekick de jour, Foxxy Cleopatra (Beyonce Knowles), sets out to rescue his father, Nigel (Michael Caine), from the evil clutches of the notorious Dutchman, Goldmember (Mike Meyers). To do so, they must go back in time to 1975, the era of disco fever.
Fan of Dr. Evil (Mike Myers), Fat Bastard (Mike Myers), Number Two (Robert Wagner), Scot Evil (Seth Green), Frau Farbissina (Mindy Sterling), Basil (Michael York), and Mini-Me (Verne Troyer) will be happy to know that they are all back in this film. Mini-Me very nearly steals the show, and he does this without ever uttering a single word. Fred Savage joins the party as Number Three/The Mole and becomes a running sight gag throughout the film for reasons that will be obvious to the viewer.
The only problem in the film is with the character of Goldmember. He is the weak link, as he is simply gross and not particularly funny. What was Mike Myers thinking? Notwithstanding the fact that the title character is pretty much of a zero, however, the film is still hilarious, overall. The plot, what little there is, primarily exists to set up a lot of sight gags, send ups, and a number of very funny scenes. If, however, scatological humor offends your sensibilities, this is definitely not the film for you. If you are not easily offended by the crude and the lewd, then this film will make you laugh up a storm.
on January 6, 2003
Format: DVD
This DVD is made by New Line's division of Infinifilm. For some reason, the functionality of this DVD doesn't work on Panasonic players. About the only functions that work are Stop and Play. I feel sorry for Panasonic, because I got my DVD player for Christmas and thought it was a problem with the player. So I took the player back and exchanged it for another Panasonic player. But the "Pause" still didn't work. I just today found out that it is a DVD/Infinifilm issue and not a player issue. I'm afraid Panasonic is going to lose a lot of money if more people like me start trading in their players, because they think they don't work properly. Maybe Infinifilm should include a list of brands that its discs don't work with.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2002
As a huge fan of the first Austin Powers film and someone who was somewhat amused (though disappointed) in the second film, I cringed with embarassment in watching what will hopefully be the final installment in this tired series.
This is a movie that I desperately wanted to like because I thought the first film was brilliant and Mike Myers seems like a genuinely nice guy.
But this movie is just not funny.
I got that sense right after the opening cameos, about five minutes into the film, when Austin mugs into the camera. This is the kind of desperate technique used by a character whose hoping to get by on charm alone.
But someone can only say "Yeah, baby" so many times. Austin passed that point in the second film, and despite being the title character, he has absolutely no humor value anymore.
Dr. Evil, who was funny in the second film, meets his comic demise early in this film, when he banters with Scott, a take on the "Shhh" and "Zip it" routines from the first two films.
Fat Bastard was gross, not funny, in the second film. This time he followed the same formula, but kicked in an insulting product plug to boot.
The Goldmember character is so dull he doesn't even warrant description, but I'll provide one anyway. His big schtick is that he eats his own peeled-off, dead skin and he's really flexible. Once again, I'm not sure how this passes for humor.
Foxy Cleopatra sucks. Sorry.
The bottom line is that Myers and New Line knew they had a cash cow on their hands, so no real effort was put into this film at all, aside from the cross-promotional efforts with Taco Bell and Subway. They just pieced a bunch of recycled celluloid together, threw it on the projectors and reeled in your eight bucks.
As witnessed with Wayne's World 2, Myers can't sustain any momentum for his unique characters past 90 minutes. To be fair, not too many comedic actors can. If he comes out with something new and fresh, I'm there. But as long as he continues to bang out hack-job scripts for big-time paychecks, I'll be perfectly comfortable spending my money elsewhere.
Format: DVD
I watched this film with some reluctance, as it was not the film I would have chosen, even though I had previously seen the two other Austin Powers films and enjoyed them. Well, am I ever glad that I did! It was, without a doubt, the funniest Austin Powers film to date.

Fans of Dr. Evil (Mike Myers), Fat Bastard (Mike Myers), Number Two (Robert Wagner), Scot Evil (Seth Green), Frau Farbissina (Mindy Sterling), Basil (Michael York), and Mini-Me (Verne Troyer) will be happy to know that they are all back in this film. Mini-Me very nearly steals the show, and he does this without ever uttering a single word. Fred Savage joins the party as Number Three/The Mole and becomes a running sight gag throughout the film for reasons that will be obvious to the viewer.

HALL OF FAMEon August 20, 2002
In "Austin Powers in Goldmember," Mike Myers reprises his role as the swinging British superspy Austin Powers. He also reprises the roles of Dr. Evil and Fat Bastard, as well as creating a new character: the titular Goldmember, a Dutch villain with a rather unusual anatomical feature. Most of the cast from previous "Austin" films returns. Joining the cast is Beyonce Knowles as Foxxy Cleopatra (whose name is an apparent homage to two "blaxploitation" movie heroines). Also on board is Michael Caine as Austin's father, Nigel.
"Goldmember" continues the successful formula of the last two films: superspy action, musical numbers, outrageous sight gags, gross-out sex-and-toilet humor. There are some clever bits, such as a flashback sequence involving Austin and some other characters as youngsters at school. And Dr. Evil's submarine lair is a great visual device.
Knowles is an inspired addition to the cast as the sexy agent who promises that she's "a whole lotta woman!": she seems like she's really having fun with the role. Myers is likewise excellent in his quadruple role; I really could forget that it was him in all these roles, and enjoyed each one as an individual character. Myers has good chemistry with both Knowles and Caine. The returning Verne Troyer (as Mini-Me) is an impish delight.
I didn't think that "Goldmember" was quite as funny as the preceding Austin epic, but it is still a colorful and enjoyable film, and is further enhanced by a bunch of clever cameos (I won't spoil the many surprises by revealing them). If you're an "Austin" fan, I recommend it.
on May 24, 2003
Format: VHS TapeVerified Purchase
This was the most self-aggrandizing of Mike Myers' "Austin" movies to date. The first one was fun, the second one was entertaining enough, but definitely needed some re-work, but this movie -- with its little "Hollywood Insider" bits and Myers'egotistical performance made me wonder how he gets his head through most doors. I watched it once and was sorry to have wasted my time. Rent this one before you buy. You may not think it'll deserve a second viewing.
on July 28, 2002
3 1/2 stars actually... Being a fan of the first two Austin Powers films I set out last night to see "Goldmember" Did I have high expectations? Yes. Were they met? Umm...Kind of. There are a lot of scenes in the movie that are very funny, and a few that are downright hilarious. But some of the jokes come off stale and repeated. Some of the funniest moments in the film come from the many cameos that there are.
The Good: Dr. Evil is very funny as usual, pulling off some hilarious moments. Mini Me is prob the best part about this film. He's very funny and does some unexpected stuff.
The Bad: Goldmember!! I thought that the new "Bad Guy" could have been much better, and I think this is where the film falls short. Goldmember just wasn't that funny. Plain and simple. Also, the "twist" on the story at the end, I thought was just plain dumb. A total cop-out. It's almost like they couldn't think of anything so they started watching Days of Our Lives to get ideas. I won't ruin it for you guys that haven't seen the film, but you should know what I'm talking about when you see it.
The In-Between: The supporting cast was as good as usual. Frau, Scott, Number 2 etc. Were likeable and funny as usual. Beyonce was ok, she did a decent job, but I prefer Hurley or Graham. (just my personal preference)
As far as the plot goes...it's weak. real weak. I know this isn't supposed to be Citizen Kane, but the movie really just feels like you're watching commercial free SNL. Which is not all together a bad thing for a comedy like this, but just something to keep in mind. Overall, I would say this is a good movie if you're a big Austin fan or just a fan of gross out slapstick comedy. But don't go in expecting it to be the funniest movie you've ever seen or you're sure to be disapointed.
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 4 1/2 stars
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me 4 stars
Austin Powers in Goldmember 3 1/2 stars
on September 14, 2002
WOW! Austin Powers does it again, and I must say it was awesome and quite hilarious! Goldmember will make you laugh like crazy, with it's funny jokes, new characters and interesting plot. Mike Myers is a very talented man, he is funny as hell and is capable of playing many characters, in this film he plays 4 charcters: Goldmember, Austin Powers, Dr. Evil and of course the one and only and by only I do mean only Fat Bastard-Get In My Belly. Beyonce Knowles, God is she gorgeous and dead pretty, plays Foxy Cleopatra, and does she shimmer, but acting may not be a profession which she should seek. I would say singing is good enough for her, but it was worth seeing her in this film. Michael Caine, ah yes the very talented Michael Caine, God I wonder why he made this movie, was it for money most likely. But it was fun to see how Caine turned out in this movie, funny actually. And of course the lovable or likable Verne Troyer who plays Mini-Me, a short but talented actor and that's enough commenting on him. But he worked well, and was actually rather funny. Mike Myers creator and writer of all three films has really been successful, but will there be a fourth Austin Powers? We don't know quite yet, but I would surely like to know. Taking in a amazing 71.5 miillion in its opening weekend: July 26-28. But I do believe that's a record-braker for a comedy. So, I would suggest seeing Goldmember, it's funny and just plain good. Though it does have the occasional naughty material making it a bit to lewd for preteens.
It is rated PG-13 for Sexual Innuendo, Language and Crude Humor.
But I loved it! See Austin Powers in Goldmember! In theaters everywhere July 26, 2002.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations