Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2009 8:04:02 AM PDT
Which author do you prefer, Jane Austin, or Charlotte Bronte? Which story do you prefer, Pride and Prejudice, or Jane Eyre? For a long time I thought Jane Eyre was more exciting, but now I like Pride and Prejudice better. It rings true because every scene, every feeling, is something that makes sense in real life. Jane Eyre is a fantasy in comparison -- too be enjoyed for what it is, but in the end, it doesn't touch me the way the simple realism of Pride and Prejudice does. What are your thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2009 12:08:14 AM PDT
Mrs. O says:
I love both authors but Jane Austin never fails to make me sit back and relax with vivid imagery of a bygone slowed down era. I love the simplicity of all Austin. Bronte's book was wonderful but I don't feel comforted by reading it. It doesn't give me peace and pleasure.

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 5:34:23 AM PDT
S. Donaldson says:
I know a few people who like both, but most people tend to enjoy one more than the other. I am a HUGE Austen fan (and it is "Austen," not "Austin," by the way), and cannot stand the gushy, overly-dramatic Bronte.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 2:29:44 PM PST
D. Knapp says:
Definitely Austen. The Bronte sisters are too humorless and melodramatic.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 5:09:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2011 5:14:04 PM PDT
gilly8 says:
Austen, no question!

BTW I think I've read most Austen bios; many are so feminist-centric (if thats a term!) that they're almost unreadable; that is, I'm a feminist, I think women equal to men but I do NOT think that is the main issue w/ the life of Jane Austen.

Getting to my main point, the best and most up to date (research) is by a man (!) but excellent and gives insight into her life, and new facts, no other book about her has. It is Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence.

Yes, there is a movie w/ same name. Ignore movie! Read book!!

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 2:03:01 AM PDT
white cat 56 says:
Austen, hands down favorite.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 5:32:53 AM PDT
Mary says:
I adore "Sense and Sensibility" and "Jane Eyre" and yawn at "Pride and Prejudice" and "Wuthering Heights". Where does that put me on the scale?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 4:27:09 AM PDT
KieraB88 says:
How can you ask such a question! Jane Austin of course! The style of writing and the sense of the ultimate female heroine within the discourse of english society is the ultimate novel. Novels that combines romance, excitement, drama, and love in a society that suppresses such ideals with fortune and position. She is a genius of modern day literature. Jane Eyre, Agnes Grey, etc cannot compare in style and execution. Jane Eyre does not have the same appeal as Jane Austin does. Jane Austin all the way!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Hardcover - June 1973)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (2,777)