Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on January 20, 2013
I wondered at this price whether the materials were as they said, but the comforter is warm, and breathes well. Synthetic fills leave me sticky and humid - this comforter breathes nicely, even when too hot, I never felt sweaty, so it's probably what it claims to be.

That said, it's _too_ warm for me in the SF Bay Area winter climate. Just right for my wife. But that means it would be too warm for both of us 11 months out of the year. It's probably perfect for most of the rest of the country, unless you heat your room pretty warmly.

It arrived with an odor - I don't know if it was from sizing on the casing fabric, or treatment of the wool, or what. We let it air out for a few days, and the smell mostly dissipated. It will likely go away completely after a little while longer.

It has loops at the corners for securing inside comforter covers that have ties.

It's a bit larger (104"x92") than our existing King comforter cover (86"x96") , but we didn't mind it being bunched up a few inches at the edges.
on March 20, 2011
We switched from using our down comforter to using this wool one. Extremely happy with the purchase thus far. Although it seems a bit thin, its perfect for even colder nights. Best part, no feathers flying around.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 26, 2013
I was waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat on our new king-sized Simmons Beautyrest mattress. We chose one with a foam topper, and it was HOT. I also disliked the feeling of lying in a crater every night. To solve both problems, I purchased this Sleep & Beyond 78 by 80-Inch Organic Merino Wool Mattress Topper, King, Ivory along with this comforter. Problem solved! The topper prevents me from sinking too far into the memory foam, and now I have wool surrounding me on all sides. I stay warm but I don't get HOT. We had been using a down comforter before this, and while they are about the same weight, this wool comforter breathes. I warms up faster when I first climb into bed, and it keeps me snug all night. My husband likes it, too. It's not heavy at all, and reminds me of the weight and feel of a poly fill comforter. We plan to buy this Organic Cotton 340 Thread Count Natural King Duvet Cover to keep the dirt off of it.

I did notice a faint smell that I would associate with newness upon opening this comforter. Definitely not strong, as we put this on the bed right away. No "sheep smell" at all. I love the hypoallergenic properties of wool. I never realized that down attracts dust mites.

The only thing that disappoints me about this comforter is the size. I wish it hung down a little more on the sides of the bed. Other than that, it is absolutely perfect.

Update 12-30-13
Two months later and I LOVE this. I can climb into bed and it seems like it instantly warms me, where before with the down comforter it would take awhile for the chill to leave the sheets. I still wake up sweaty on occasion, but it's only around my neck where my pillow is. I need to buy a wool pillow and I'll be all set!
on January 10, 2013
So I bought this thinking I was just gonna love it, but gosh I was completely disappointed:( It feels nice, but it just has the most horrible odor to it...chemical like odor and I just can't stand it at all. I started feeling very nauseated and got a huge headache. Oh and it says it's an "Extra weight" comforter, but the "Extra weight" was not enough for me:( Overall, I was not happy with this product.
on July 14, 2013
I really works. Since we are a woolie wearing family (wool long underwear), I thought having wool in my comforter was a great idea. The natural climate control of the wool, acts to regulate your temperature while sleeping. Sleeping in the buff, or with panties gives best results.
on December 20, 2011
I am so pleased with my purchase. Not only did I get an immediate delivery but the comforter is surprisingly warm despite being so light!
The natural fibers definitively feel much nicer than a cheap polyester blend.
The comforter fits perfectly in a king size duvet cover and it looks so good on my bed.....
I love it and would definitively recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great quality, perfect for cold winter months, cozy comforter. Great savings on electricity too as I can turn the heater off and stay toasty all night long under the covers.
on March 13, 2012
We love this comferter and we are using it alomst everyday (except hot summer)!
I would buy the second one!
on February 15, 2012
We had a down comforter, but my wife was complaining about being too hot or cold. Got this wool comforter because it advertised that it would be more adaptable. Sure enough, it seems to do a better job at keeping my wife warm when she is cold and visa-versa.
on December 10, 2014
This is awesome!
I like this better than my heavy, tightly woven wool blankets.
I find I sometimes get too warm with this comforter in a 65 deg room with flannel sheets and a light bed spread atop.
When held to a back light the filling appears to be of consistent density (lofty), distribution, and color.
In the name of science and product review I split the seam to expose the filling.
When burnt the filling smells of burnt hair, like wool will do.
I would buy this again.
review image
on October 6, 2014
Edited review: After six months with this thing I have had it. I am dropping it down to two stars from my original three. Two stars only because it is so fluffy and nice to snuggle when you first get into bed. I still stand by my first review that this blanket is a giant heat sink that will turn your bed into a furnace. It is far too heavy and it feels like it is crushing me with heat as I sleep. I love how fluffy it is compared to the more thin comforters out there but I still don't want my fluffy blanket to feel like a sack of bricks when I lay under it. Additionally there was a serious problem I only just now noticed that has just pushed me over the edge.

I have a moderate eye allergy to dust. I spend all winter with radiant space heaters, using my forced air central heat as little as possible. I had no idea, however, that wool stuffed blankets are major dust producers and collectors. I began to notice a problem when we installed a new headboard with a flat top and began to notice rapid dust accumulation. In just two weeks, the headboard looked like it had been sitting untouched for three months. I noticed my allergies steadily getting worse as well. I didn't even think to attribute these things to our duvet. We only noticed the correlation by accident when we took it off our bed to be dry-cleaned and decided to leave it off for a week to see if we slept better due to the problems I detailed in my previous review. Lo and behold, after a week, there was no dust on our headboard. It was a little baffling until I remembered that down comforters are known to collect dust. I wondered if the same thing could happen with wool-filled duvets. After folding up the blanket and beating it, I can tell you with certainty that this thing can get loaded with dust. It was astounding how much would puff out with each whack. I will never put this blanket back on my bed. I don't want to have to bring it to the dry cleaners ever other week just to keep my allergies at bay. I don't even know if dry cleaning is capable of solving a problem like that. I am through with the dust and through with the heat.

If you have a dust allergy, I recommend that you buy a blanket with synthetic filling that you can clean frequently in your home washer and dryer. It is the only way to be certain you are not going to inadvertently introduce a dust rich environment to your bedroom like I did.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW*** I've had this duvet for two months and my sleep quality has gone down dramatically since then.

Perhaps the problem is that I combined this duvet with a cotton duvet cover, but good lord does this blanket make me sweat at night! I am one of those people who just about never sweats. It's really weird for me to wake up night after night boiling. Sometimes I wake up pouring sweat with giant puddles below me. I love wool clothing and it's moisture wicking qualities. I've never experienced this furnace effect with any of my wool clothes. There's just something about this duvet that makes it unbearable when you combine it with a conventional duvet cover. I can't even sleep under it anymore. I have to sleep with my air conditioner on 68 just to feel mildly comfortable.

I have also found the blanket combined with a cotton cover to be too heavy. My bed doesn't have a high footboard, so the blanket, being somewhat heavy, slides off the end of the bed with ease. I'm often left pulling the blanket up with all my might just to keep it on me at night. I can't sleep without full coverage and it's not pleasant to wake up so often just to reposition my blanket.

These are just some thoughts to keep in mind. I think the duvet is really nice out of my duvet cover and it is certainly warm. But be aware that the cover you do choose for this blanket might convert it from a warm, moisture-wicking paradise to an uncomfortable furnace. As a final note the blanket did smell a tiny bit earthy when I first got it but I doubt I would have even noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.