4.0 out of 5 stars Charming little cookbook
Published on May 21, 2000 by jeff afiouni

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland Offering of Exciting Cusine
Having some Austrian ancestry in me and having sampled some fine Austria fare, ventured to try and find a good source. This isn't completely what I am looking for.
Recipes are too basic, not enough purchasing and prep hints. No photos whatsoever to entice.
Did find some interesting stuff, though: Wuerstelbraten, Galantine of Chicken, Souffle Rothschild...
Published on May 16, 2002 by rodboomboom

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming little cookbook, May 21, 2000
jeff afiouni (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
This book has back to back recipes and no pictures, which I found refreshing! It contains recipes for things I remember my grandmother had made but had never written down. I found it a jackpot of the really heart warming recipes that I thought I'd never get a chance to reproduce for my family and would heartily recommend it to others who want a no frills, sensible old style German/Austrian cookbook. The old family favourites like Salzburger Nockerln are certain to get you baking, even if the Lung Strudel never gets a fair go.....Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austrian chef tested this book and cooked 2/3 of recipes, July 30, 2005
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
I am an Austrian chef and very interested in cookbooks; especially books that are written in English, for they are read worldwide and so influence what people think of Austrian cuisine, and how they cook if they want to cook Austrian. (...)
All in all that book is worth the money, most recipes are quite original, and the instructions are good. Photos would be helpful. For this price I would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can gain weight just reading this book, but your mouth will be happy!, June 22, 2006
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
A passionate home cook that has been honing her cooking skills for the last 25 years, concentrating on Italian cooking for the last 10 years, writes this review. My favorite cookbooks are "The Professional Chef" by the Culinary Institute and "Culinary Artistry". With more than 500 cookbooks in my collection I am usually disappointed in my recent cookbook acquisitions. This particular book is on loan from an Austrian friend, whose two brothers are chefs in Austria. Given that a woman born and raised in Austria thinks the recipes in this book are authentic I have to assume that she knows more than the reviewer that disagrees.

The book is outlines as follows:

1. I'd like to explain

9. Dumplings and the Like

10. Desserts - Hot and Cold - including Sweet Sauces

11. Cakes, Pastries and Biscuits

12. Gateaux and Icings

Before I review the book, I must say that if you are on a diet, this is not the book for you. I think that you could gain weight just reading this book. However, if you are a fan of desserts, WOW what a book!

The first chapter the author explains the difference in some of the typical ingredients of Austria. She also provides a table that translates the European Gas Marks into degrees, which I do not see very often in foreign cookbooks.

The garnishes for the soup alone are worth the cost of the book. I have never seen such variation in noodles and dumplings. And then, there are the schnitzel recipes. Can you say yummy? Where do you even begin talking about how wonder a well-made schnitzel can be? Makes me long for Berghoff's Restaurant in Chicago, an institution that is now gone.

The Austrians apparently have their own version of Risi Bisi, which I was certain was Venetian. But maybe I am incorrect. The difference between the two versions seems to be that the Austrian's do not use Arborio rice.

The Dessert sections are absolutely amazing. The Austrians have taken dessert making to a new level. Each recipe is more mouthwatering than the next. There is a recipe for Strudel dough, and every Austrian dessert that I could think of. If you love desserts, these chapters make the book worth buying alone.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book to anyone that loves Austrian food, or just good food. I borrowed this copy from an Austrian friend, but I will be ordering my own copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland Offering of Exciting Cusine, May 16, 2002
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
For baking, see "Kaffehaus" by Rick Rodgers; for Austrian cooking, see W. Pauk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Austrian Cookbook, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
A book with 302 Recipes, just what I was looking for. It has many classic recipes. No Pictures, but I do not need them. Has also a Conversion Table in there for Foreign Equivalents for dry and liquid ingredients.
Here are just a few Recipes I have seen so far in this book: (All are written in English)

-Backerbsen (for soups)

- Liver Dumplings (Leberkloesse)

- Sauerbraten

- Wiener Schnitzel

- Rahm Schnitzel

- Zwetschgenkuchen (Plumcake)

- Apfelstrudel

- so many Torten and Nachspeisen (cakes and desserts, to many to list)

- Plaetzchen (Cookies)

- Soups

etc....

and many, many more...I think, I will be using this cook/baking book on regular basis :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
If you desperately need pictures with your recipes, this might not be the one for you - which would be a shame, because it really is very good. Most of the recipes are basically the same as my Viennese Grandma's, with minor variations (totally normal, everyone has their own way), and what I've tried so far have turned out exactly as they should.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Austrian Cooking, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
This small book is chock full of Austrian recipes. As I was told, my grandmother from Austria regularly cooked these meals from scratch. Unfortunately, the recipes were not put down on paper to pass on through the generations. If you think boiled meat sounds frightening, think again. Purchase this book and prepare Tafelspitz and your taste buds will never stop thanking you for it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but...., October 3, 2007
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
Great recipes, but you need a scale to measure products. I also didn't like the fact that no oven temperatures were given unless you have an oven from England. If this book is to be sold in the US market, the editors could have at least adapted the information to our standards. I'm no amateur in the kitchen, but someone who is will have a tough time calculating oven temps. The layout of the recipes could've been better by listing the ingredients and then instructions. Instead it was done in a paragraph form which can make it confusing. All in all I'll keep the book, but am a bit disappointed with how it was put together.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
Hmm, unless you speak German this book is a little hard to understand. Also if you are a novice cook it will be a little bit of a challenge. But the recipes are nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting reading and good recipes, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Austrian Cooking and Baking (Paperback)
Good recipes from the old country with a lot of cultural remarks. An enjoyable book mostly for reading and understanding. I have fixed several recipes but I am not a knowledgeable baker. Austrian baking tends to the upper end of things.

Austrian Cooking and Baking
Austrian Cooking and Baking by Gretel Beer (Paperback - June 1, 1975)
$9.95 $8.60