Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Scan Tool
Price:$251.71 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
The tool arrived in good order. Nice box to keep it in as well. The tool is solidly made.
The tool does NOT support Apple computers. You will need a Windows PC to update.
The first thing you need to do is update the unit to the newest software releases. This is done online. In order to update, you must first register your product.
The needed "serial number" is on a sticker on both the box and also on the back of the unit. You will also need the "register password." This is NOT something you make up. This is a six digit number IN THE TOOL's "Setup/ About" screen (see p. 15, Figure 3.6 in the User's Manual). You will need to turn the tool on, then press "Setup" and then press "About" to get to the screen with the information you need.
To turn the unit on requires external power. Easiest is to connect the included USB cable to a powered USB PC port and also to the unit.
Once you have the serial number and register password, you can go to www.maxidas.com and create an account.
The unit stores it's information in its provided SD Card. Press the SD Card in lightly and it will pop out. Note that it is installed with the electrical contacts UP, not down. You update the SD Card and then return it to your scan unit to achieve the update/s. You will need a SD Card reader. If your PC does not have one built-in you can plug a portable one into one of the PC's USB ports. The readers are inexpensive.
I found that I needed to install the card + reader into the USB port and then RESTART my PC. Otherwise the software doesn't see the PC Card.
Now, the update software is on a CD included with the tool. Install it. Then start it by double clicking on the Update icon that the software placed on your desktop. It will first ask you if you want to update the System Software (assuming yours is out of date), select "Yes." (This will update the scanner to System Software V2.50).
You will now see many automobile file updates that you can download and install. I would NOT do the first one, AUTEL PC SUIT V1.03, as it crashed Windows XP repeatedly. The remaining updates will then install after you select them. Some are fairly quick to install and some are painfully slow, especially the Mercedes related group. They all downloaded fairly quickly. I Installed them one at a time. It took a couple of hours. As of June 11, 2013, the newest version for each auto file is V2.0.
When you are done updating, exit the update program, safely disconnect your USB drive IN SOFTWARE (for WinXP), then return the SD Card to the unit... remember, contacts UP.
You should be good to go. Good Luck !

P.S. After updating, I exited the Autel Update software, went to www.maxidas.com in a browser, logged in, downloaded and installed Autel software V1.03 to my PC.
P.P.S. You will see references to www.auteltech.com. It looks like they are moving to this web site from www.maxidas.com BUT www.maxidas.com is currently the place to go to and stay at to update your scanner as well as to update the PC based Update software.
P.P.S. I have not been able to get the Autel Printer software to work. It does not see the scanner. My PC runs Windows XP. I have a request for assistance in to Autel Customer Support for help. I will update here if their assistance results in successful printing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2013
I manage a fleet of vehicles that include Gm, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Dodge Sprinter vans. This scanner has been very useful. But make sure you do the latest software update from the manufacturer or it won't do all of the functions it's capable of. What I can do with this scanner is talk to not only the powertrain and transmission controllers but also the ABS, airbag, and various body controllers. You will have to learn which options to select to get into each module successfully which can be confusing at first because for certain modules and applications you have to go through several screens and pick from lists that don't always give a good description. Plus it's different for each vehicle. The biggest advantage for me is that this scanner will talk to all the modules on our Sprinter vans. You get a lot of capability for the money. The downsides are the live data, it's pretty limited information in some modules. The powertrain live data is fairly complete though. Also this scanner is not always consistent when you are navigating the modules and different screens, once in a while you have to restart it to get it to play nice. Not a huge deal because I used to have to do this with the multi-thousand dollar dealership scan tools that I used. Over all it's a really good value.
on December 28, 2012
I've got a pesky Volvo that trips the airbag light whenever the battery is disconnected in the improper order, when certain electrical components are disconnected, etc.. Every time this happens I have to take the car to the dealer to have them reset the code to the tune of $140 a pop. I got really tired of this and started looking for an OBDII unit that could not only read the codes, but also reset them, including resetting the SRS codes. If you do some research, you will find that the number of units that can actually deal with the non OBDII codes like the airbag, etc. are rare or extremely expensive (like $2000+). Add units that can read Volvo codes to that and you really have a narrow list of options. In fact, this is the only non-Volvo specific unit that I could find that would do everything. The cool part is that this unit will work on my Wife's Hyundai, my son's Mazda, and any other vehicle out there.

It takes a little time to get to know how to navigate through the unit and learn all the features, but once you figure it out, it is really cool. If all you want to do is read the OBDII codes, then there are much cheaper options out there. If you want to go deeper, then give this unit a look.
on May 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
To those who gave this unit one star because you couldn't be bothered to contact customer service to get things figured out: get a life.

This scan tool does more than any other scan tool on the market and it does it with flying colors. I've used scan tools from Innova, Actron, OBDLink and other companies, and they don't even come close to the usability and functionality of this tool.

You can do live scans, make-specific scans, generic scans, scans on the powertrain module, transmission module, ABS module, body module and more. I've done scans on 1998 Volkswagons through 2013 Audis and it has NEVER failed me. I've probably scanned 50 different cars from the USA, Europe and Asia in the 7 months that I've had this and it is by far the most thorough tool on the market. It catches things that don't even show up on the highest-priced Innovas (even if you use their over-priced make-specific flash modules.) This tool uses software from the MaxiDAS, which many pro mechanics use, so what you're essentially getting is the scan capabilities of the MaxiDAS without the bi-directional capabilities.

I was fortunate enough to purchase this right when it came out and was priced around $220. It's since gone up in price significantly, but knowing what I know about this tool, it's still worth what they charge. Now that I'm using the MaxiDiag MD802, I wish I hadn't bought the OBDLink OBD-II USB Scan Tool Interface Adapter (425101), which after spending $$$ on the tool and the pro-upgraded software, actually ended up costing me quite a bit more. The OBDLink and the pro software only churns out generic info and is so much less capable than the MaxiDiag, that it never leaves the cart anymore.

The Autel MaxiDiag finds issues that you will never find using a generic tool, inlcuding factory Bluetooth issues, lock switch problems, factory-specific ABS faults, etc. It lets you clear just about every code your ECU can come up with. This is a very important feature since on some makes, such as Hyundai, you need to clear the codes after you do the fix or the car will continue to think there's a fault and it will not work properly until the code is manually cleared. This is now becoming a common thing with manufacturers since they want you to take your car to a dealership, where it costs $120 just to use a factory tool to clear a code, which only takes a couple of minutes. In this regard alone, the MaxiDiag paid for itself after about four uses.

For the sake of full disclosure, I was having a problem updating my scan tool the first time I tried Autel's Auto Update software. It was admittedly my fault, since I didn't follow the instructions in the manual exactly as written. I got in touch with Autel customer service and they fixed it in a day. You can't ask for more than that. The updates have been super easy to do and as of today, I'm running V2.0 of all the makes. There are 47 different makes represented on this tool, if I recall correctly, including Dacia ("GOOD NEWS!"), GM, Ford, Ford (Europe), Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Holden, Ferrari, Lancia, Chrysler, Suzuki, Fiat, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, Honda, etc. etc. etc.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about this tool. It's easy to use, professional grade and to be honest, it's a bargain when you compare it to the next closest thing out there that has the same capabilities.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2013
I am a L1 Master Tech with nearly 30 years experience. I have access to nearly ALL factory scan tools. I wanted a tool of my own to do occasional "side work" that has FULL capability. I had tried out the MaxiDas DS708 as a demo for a few weeks and was VERY impressed at its capability. The operating system was a real disappointment as it crashed and locked up a lot. It is probably not quite worth the $1800 to $2000 they are asking for it. Finding quality information on the MD802 tool is difficult at best. I was very skeptical about spending money on an unfamiliar tool. THIS tool however has been very reliable, have only needed to reset it once in a while. It lacks bi-directional control but WILL access ANY system on ANY car with only a few exceptions. The scan data is very good also and graphs data too at a "fairly good" refresh rate. The web site for registering and updating this tool is PATHETIC to say the least. Keep in mind that this tool is of Chinese origin and all of its software is "reverse engineered" so there are a few glitches. Overall I would call the tool a MUST HAVE for your tool box but NOT a replacement for factory tools or a Snap-On scan tool. Final judgement: worth every penny.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2014
Verified Purchase
When I tried to update my 802 it would not update I contacted Autel and was told that it was a China built model with no Warranty and no tech support! I contacted Amazon to return it and since it was early evening. Friday figured I would hear nothing until Monday but within 30 min's had a call from Steve at Tool Rage after I explained my problem he told me that the information was completely bogus and that he was going to get to the bottom of this Cr--p. Within another 1/2 hour got another call from Autel telling me they would be happy to assist me with my problem and had no idea where the previous bad info came from. I can't say enough good things about Steve at Tool Rage definately two thumbs up and a big ATTA BOY!!!Autel needs to do some work on their customer service. After I got the updates it opened a whole new diagnostic world with the 802 it is a fine versatile diagnosis tool. Steve turned a very dissatisfied customer into a completely satisfied and happy customer
on March 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
i purchased this for my shop. It works pretty well. Has amazing features for the price. However, it freezes nearly every time I do a full-system scan on any car. Highly annoying. Made in China but for the price its hard to complain.
on March 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
Absolutely incredible tool to have in your tool box. As powerful as a scan tool twice it's size, yet small enough to tote around where you need it (and easy to hold/monitor on test drives). I would have paid a couple hundred more for this. The software is very stable. Scans EVERY module available in vehicle and displays data PIDs for the modules found. Absolutely amazing for such a small investment. Perfect for diagnosing. Only thing it doesn't do is bi-directional testing and coding. Which is when you go grab the bigger scan tool. But, I find myself not needing anything more than the MaxiDiag Elite. Seriously, whole heartedly... just do it, you won't be disappointed. A must for any COMPETENT technician.
on December 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
I own a 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe. The Autel Elite MD802 set up quickly and read my car's codes without hesitation. I cleared the codes afterwards and only have the lamps to replace before I reset those alerts. The machine is easy to read and navigate through its menus. The short manual was precise and to the point. I like that it can do American, European and Asian vehicles, thereby making the tool useful in the future as my family owns vehicles from all three points of manufacture. I am very happy with my purchase.
on June 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 which has ABS and SRS issues. Amazingly, this device read all of the codes and even cleared them on BOTH the SRS and ABS systems. Normally, this requires the special Land Rover tool, but this did the job fine. Paid for itself already! Very pleased. Works on my BMW as well. Highly recommended if you have a European money pit of any make or model.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations