5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck. Easy to use and reads ABS codes
Published on May 6, 2009 by Stephen Henry

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but no support
Published on September 29, 2009 by BCW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck. Easy to use and reads ABS codes, May 6, 2009
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
The scanner powers up quickly and overall seems a bit faster than the Actron. It's easy to use; as a guy I've yet to open any kind of manual for the Autel, yet was able to read by my check engine and ABS codes that are popping up on my vehicle. In playing with the Actron the other day I pulled up the screen to read all live data at once and scrolling down was very, very slow and the tool would lag when it was asked to display the next page of data. The Autel 703 scrolled through all the live data without any lag. I haven't exported any data to a PC yet so I can't tell you how well that works. On screen descriptions were provided for both PCM codes and ABS codes.

I have an Actron 9185, which is the same as the 9190 without all the OBD 1 connectors for pre-1996 vehicles. The Actron is a great tool, but I needed to read ABS codes and the Autel was about $50 more than the Actron ABS reader only, and the Autel 703 reads ABS, Airbag, and Tranny codes, so for the extra few bucks I figured it's worth a try, and I can always sell the Actron. I paid about $50 more for the Actron 9185 than I paid for the Autel 703.

The tool is new and there don't appear to be any updates on the manufacturers site. I do expect Actron to have more frequent updates based on other online reviews. The Autel 703 DOES NOT come with the connectors to connect to pre-1996 vehicles though the software supports them. I have not seen the cables for sale anywhere.

As a hard core DIY mechanic that likes to troubleshoot and fix almost everything with my vehicles, I would recommend the Autel 703 because of the number of systems it reads, and at a lower price point than other products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but no support, September 29, 2009
BCW (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
Bought this because of the number of features available for the very reasonable price. Easy to use, provides a lot of info.... BUT, the software supplied was not compatible with windows XP. No software update on their web site, and they did not respond to my inquiries - I tried two times. - so I returned it and Amazon refunded my money. Next time I will spend a couple of extra bucks for a product that the manufacturer supports.

4.0 out of 5 stars Autel MaxiDiag US703 Scan Tool, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
The tool works as advertised EXCEPT for the included software for PC linking. The software does NOT install on a Vista or Win 7 machine. Haven't tried loading it on an XP machine and forget the website for any "updates" for the tool or software as there aren't any (to date). That aside, the tool has already saved me it's purchase price on the very first scan. Comes with a soft carry pouch, 15 pin Parallel x OBD2 adaptor cable and a USB x Printer style cable (for PC linking and tool updating--yeah right!). The tool reads and displays universal OBD2 mfr. codes and can store multiple sets of read codes for recall later, supposedly at your PC. Tool can also read live vehicle data streams including engine, transmission and abs systems. Tool is more for intermediate to advanced do-it-yourselfers. Tool uses batteries as a backup for its memory but powers itself off of the OBD2 connector when plugged in. Online at Autel site you can download the universal obd2 codes (1996 vehicles and up) used by all mfr's. and then look up your codes from this database but you need a separate program to open and read the download (assuming you can't get the cd to install on your pc like I couldn't---in that case download: [...]).

If you want a tool that can read and clear obd2 codes (great if you live in an emissions testing state that uses obd2 data to "test" your vehicle as I do) as well as abs and tranny data (vehicle dependent) than this tool is for you as it's reasonably priced for what it can do--but don't expect any support for it later!

5.0 out of 5 stars Was hard to find the right ABS scan tool. for this model year auto., December 26, 2009
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with a V6 engine and all wheel drive, I needed to find out why the ABS light would stay on, I did not feel there was a problem with the ABS system but could not be sure without a lot of physical trouble-shooting. I searched a long time for a scanner at a resonable price to check this out. I was told the Autel MaxiDiag US703 would work for me. 30 seconds after I found the correct code, connected the unit to the 2004 Satun, pressed the test button, no problems were found and the ABS light was reset automatically. At that point the US703 paid for itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturer says this item isn't even available yet, October 16, 2009
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
I just called Autel from the phone number on their website to ask about the 2 issues i've read concerning this Autel US703 scanner. I wanted to find out about the complaints regarding it not being compatible with WindowsXP along with the cables for OBD1 availability. The person tells me its not even available yet. He didn't sound very professional or helpful either, more like he was in a rush to get off the phone and move on from taking a phone call about their products. Needless to say i guess i'll be looking for a different brand of scanner given the type of U.S. support they have. How are there reviews if the product isn't out yet?

1.0 out of 5 stars AUTEL US 703, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
I bought this unit expecting to not have any issues with the us cars..... that being said IT WILL NOT CONNECT TO ANY FORDS
I went to their website but no updates are available for the us 703 the last updates on their site for any scanner is for the MS509 april 2008... The funny thing is that this product was design for FORDS.... connected the unit to a chrysler van and it trip the DTC while attempting to view live data... I sent an email to their service dept still waiting for a response..I am not happy with this product....

1.0 out of 5 stars Over Promises!, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
I was looking for a scanner that could read engine, abs, and air bag codes "and reset them" at the best price and this one was certainly the lowest price but did not perform as advertised. I had three Ford Explorers that had various lights on and several times the scanner failed to even connect - it did eventually read an abs code but would not erase it?! -- The scanner displayed something like "function not available"? It repeated the same problem on another vehicle - I tried to contact Autel but got no response for several days - I returned it immediately!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bogus claims for this item., April 5, 2011
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
I purchased this item because it was supposed to be the only low priced scanner to actually read transmission codes. The operators manual claims that it will read tranny codes ****** IT DOES NOT *******
Also ... Customer Service does not exist from the manufacturer. Repeated email inquires went unanswered... to this day!

5.0 out of 5 stars User Input, August 15, 2010
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
Scanner works great, identified front sensor on restraint system code B0300 as bad on a 2005 Tahoe, replaced part, air bag light on dash turned off when turning the ignition back on. Scanner identified no trouble codes following repair, was also able to erase fault from history codes. Others have noted issues with installing software, however I had no issues with a clean install on a Widows XP desktop sysytem (Dell XPS 400).

All I can say is it works great for me, and is a great tool for the money, since it has already paid for itself with this first repair. I did read instructions, and followed procedures (do not connect or diss-connect with ignition on). Amazon's price is about the best their is for this scanner, I am a shopper for best price, and could not find it cheaper elsewhere.

Do not expect to use this scanner very much (hopefully vehicle has minimum issues), will write back if it does not hold up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Autel US703, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Autel MaxiDiag US703 Diagnostic Scan Tool (Automotive)
Does not work for the late model GM vehicles listed on the Autel website as being compatible with. Contacted Autel and have given them vehicle details, they acknowledge my contact, but won't resolve the "no-connection" issues. Works with older GM vehicles, so the scanner is fine, just doesn't work as promised

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›