5.0 out of 5 stars A book that ALL young woman need to read!!!
Published on September 3, 2007 by Liolania

3.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging in Some Aspects, Discouraging in Others
Published 20 months ago by tabbycatsdesigns

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that ALL young woman need to read!!!, September 3, 2007
I would like to get my one complaint about this book out of the way, and that complain is Leslie Ludy's overuse of the phrase "Lily-white"; Other than that there is nothing wrong with this book. In fact I would say that as usual the Ludy wrote a timely and much needed portrait of what Godly purity is. Non-Christian women see no need for purity, and even Christian women begin to shake their heads after a while because no one ever explained why God requires us to be pure.

As I said before Ludy does use the phrase "Lily-white" a lot, and probably could've been a little more creative in that respect, and felt that in trying to reitterate her point she was making me feel like a third-grader. At the same time, because many women(especially young women) are not accustom to what purity means, she uses that phrase to make her point of what purity means.

Ludy uses a lot of personal testimonies about how she lived a not so pure life growing up. She explains that even though she grew up in the church, she was just always taught not to "go all the way". Now, I know that growing up I was told the same thing by my parents, and they never told me what true puroty was. Leslie uses her personal experience and other woman's experiences to explain what true purity is. It is purity in your mind and heart, it is about being wholly blameless before the Lord. She explains that it is not something we can achieve on our own, and involves a lot of one on one time with Jesus Christ who purifies us as we draw closer to him.

I felt the most important message in this book for Christian women to get is that we will never be fulfilled by a man. It is only we we come to our savior just as we are and seek fulfillment in him, then we will feel whole and satisfied. A husband is nice, but the only thing a husband is for, is to help draw us into the presence of the Lord, not to fulfill and meet all of our needs (although they can meet many of them).
Marriage will not solve all your problems, in fact it will create many new ones that you never knew existed. This is why Paul states that it is "better" to be singlke than married; although that as he said, is his opinion, and not necassarily God's view. It is up to God whether or not you get married, but if you are married or unmarried no matter your age, this is a great book to read to discover the true meaning of purity. :D

God Bless ~Amy

3.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging in Some Aspects, Discouraging in Others, April 14, 2013
I read this as a teenager and again as a college student. When I was a teenager and had never dated, let alone been asked on one, this book was yet another addition to my repertoire of my "focusing on the Lord, pursuing purity" while being single. For me at that time, it was easy to follow Ludy's advice and find comfort in a woman who was so passionate about her walk with God. You can see the rich love and dedication for God she has, and it is inspiring to hear her journey of growing closer to God's heart rather than focusing solely on dating relationships.

However, as I entered young adulthood, some of Ludy's concepts really weren't as applicable, and I think they can nip at legalism. I found it ironic that for a woman who met her future spouse at 16 and married at 18, Ludy was offering quite the excessive advice about "staying content" while being single and "making Jesus your Prince Charming" (not her words exactly, but pretty much the way the book laid it out). Ludy had no experience with extensive singleness or the pain that some of her readers that were much older and still single wrote in to her.

It is always beautiful to see a woman who loves the Lord, no matter what her stage in life, but should a woman in Ludy's position offer such advice when she has no personal knowledge of it? I would say no. The concept that Christ should also substitute a flesh-and-blood relationship is also not accurate, as there are no Biblical supports to make the equivalency of Christ to a husband. There are passages of the church being the bride of Christ, but not us being the bride to Christ. Jesus is not your Prince Charming, nor should he be placed in that same mold. He cannot satisfy you physically. He cannot speak to you in person. He cannot provide for you and live with you and be with you in the same manner. Although our relationship with God should ALWAYS be first and foremost, God also clearly advocates that marriage is a good thing and that human relationships are not the same as our heavenly one with him.

In a nutshell, this book would be fine for young girls, especially teenage girls who take too much comfort in relationships satisfying every need, but it should not be for college-aged young ladies or women that desire marriage in a positive manner. I would recommend Debbie Maken's "Getting Serious About Getting Married" for a real Biblical perspective on how we should see Christ AND our desires for marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!!, August 29, 2008
I could get lost in Eric and Leslie's writing. I have often spent many nights staying awake reading their books over and over. Authentic beauty was no different. This book is a must read for ever girl, young and old. It shows God's heart for a women. Every girl longs to hear that they are someone's beloved and every girl wants to feel beautiful. In our generation we often turn to mankind to me that need, but that is only a need that God can feel. Mankind's version of beauty can fade, but God is unconditional. His love for us never wavers. I had the amazing opportunity to meet with Leslie a few years back when I was a senior in High School at Summit ministries in Colorado, and I was able to here her and Eric speak on Courtship and dating and lets just say that after reading their books you will never look at Love the same. It makes me want to hold out and be patient for God to bring the one person he created for me to be with. Our world is so fixed on instant gratification, but true love is worth waiting for, it is worth fighting for!

5.0 out of 5 stars What You Were Looking For, February 8, 2008
This book was exactly what I was looking for. Leslie Ludy lets tells you like it is...she doesn't hold back and thats what I like. A lot of young girls can relate to this book because this author is not just writing it...she's lived it. I think that's what makes a difference. I'm in my early twenties and this book has helped me. So I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to stay pure for Jesus and who wants a closer relationship with Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Beauty: The Shaping of a Set-Apart Woman, September 6, 2007
I used this book with it's study guide, which ws helpful, but not mandatory, for a book study club at our church. We thoroughly enjoyed it. It is great for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
One of the Ludy books girls should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great book!!, April 23, 2014
I love this book-it really helped point me to the Lord for my worth and gave me fresh revelation about things I had "heard" but didn't quite "understand" It is in great condition! Very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 7, 2014
Deeje (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter is reading this booka and learning a lot! She sees how important it is to be "set apart" for the Lord. This book is great for women of all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars great honest book for teenage girls, January 21, 2014
the overall message: find your satisfaction in Christ. Great message for any woman, but especially geared towards teen girls in today's culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great and Inspiring Read, December 17, 2013
Again, a lovely and inspiring read from Mrs. Ludy! I really enjoyed the book cover to cover. I would absolutely recommend this to any woman of any age.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›