Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: HardcoverChange

on November 28, 2007
I predict that in ten years we will wonder how in blazes we ever managed to do business or operate institutionally without the essential ideas that fill this volume. Jim Gilmore and Joe Pine, whose previous breakthough of a book was reviewed by Tom Peters in two words--"simply brilliant"--have managed to write another one that is every bit as insightful and important. It constitutes nothing less than a graduate course in institutional self-knowledge, self-expression and self-integrity in 300 information-packed pages. Gilmore and Pine prove indisputably that there is no future for "faking it" in any enterprise, and they provide an extraordinarily comprehensive repertoire of incisive techniques to achieve operational authenticity by developing an in-depth consciousness of our past, present and future corporate identities. Anyone who is interested in healthy and productive organizational survival should read this book and apply its soon as possible!
on December 18, 2007
"The Experience Economy" by these same authors was such a brilliant, prescient, scholarly but accessible, important book that I was afraid to crack this one open. Almost certainly I would be dissapointed with this one, I thought.
Not the case. They have taken the next step in defining and predicting the upcoming key trend and metric for measuring and building nearly every business endeavor.
Again, scholarly but applicable and accessible, it reads almost like a page turner/textbook. This is not oxymoronic but you must read it when you are actually awake and capable of thinking.
It's hard to imagine that this book will not be quoted and used as a field manual for so many fields much as their previous work.
on October 28, 2007
As a former chief marketing officer for businesses at Morgan Stanley and Charles Schwab, I found Pine and Gilmore's book "The Experience Economy" to be a valuable tool that helped me consider how to improve our clients' experience. Their latest book, "Authenticity," is yet another valuable tool that should be added to every marketing professional's tool box.

I like Pine and Gilmore's work because they focus on issues that are important to revenue growth and the knowledge they impart is timely. Authenticity is both relevant and timely to marketers. Companies that understand the importance of authenticity and are zealous about protecting the authenticity of their product or service offerings will be the winners in an increasingly competitive global marketplace.
on May 18, 2008
I read this book from my perspective as a consumer, rather than perhaps the perspective of the target audience of marketing professionals.

I truly enjoyed this book! The authors are witty and provide real world examples to illustrate their message. I discovered the reasons I find certain offerings attractive and others not so attractive.

The authors discuss the characteristics of "real" and "fake" offerings and provide numerous examples of each. Offerings may be true to the product and/or true to the seller. As I read this book, I reflected upon my experiences as a consumer. On a simple coaster from a local brewpub, I identified several characteristics illustrating that the brewpubs offering is "real" to me. They stress the first by telling us the year they founded. Their logo has an old look with the barley is reminiscent of designs from the 1930s. By using barley, they stress a raw material. They refer to foreign place and evoke a time by referring to old Europe. Their brewery & restaurant offering is nearly a mashup, although they stole the idea from Europe, e.g. Bavarian braü houses. Finally, they use influential authenticity by stressing that their place is one where friends and family gather to relax and celebrate.
on November 29, 2007
Having read and marked up their first book multiple times, what I've come to appreciate is the depth of thinking by Pine and Gilmore. Their view takes time to absorb and apply and is much richer than the typical business text. This one's a far cry from books like "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Written much like a textbook, "Authenticity" is full of insights and pearls that will take us a long time to unpack. The journey picks up right where EE left off and takes us down the path of understanding how consumers make decisions in the Experience Economy. I've already dog-eared and marked up many pages and am finding that the footnotes themselves are like a book within a book.

The authors aren't afraid to cite other experts in their effort to bring a new language to the discussion on authenticity. In my own attempts to explain this concept to others, I have found truly helpful the concept of "I like that. I'm like that," which they attribute to Virginia Postrel (pp. 93-94 and chapter 5 footnotes 65-66).

Like its predecessor, this new text is one to savor and think about. It's value to those of you engaged in the Experience Economy will only increase over time.
on July 16, 2009
The main thesis here is simply that customers want real experience. In these days of contrived and bogus 'Reality shows', this is more important than ever. The authors present convincing arguments that this is important, and then tell you a bit about how to do it.

While this is important and interesting, how many people in a given organization actually have the power to influence how the company is perceived? Generally it will just be the marketing department, and they are generally not in the business of creating authenticity. Perhaps, though, this book will help them see the light.

Overall, this is an accurate and important idea, but may not be useful for the average middle manager or below.
on November 16, 2007
This new book (Joe Pine's and Jim Gilmore's latest thinking-on-paper) is really interesting -- a tour de force, actually -- original, sophisticated, nuanced, well-researched, with every conscious, subconscious and even unconscious element of authenticity brought into awareness and analyzed. Everyone in business should absorb this information and think about it, because, as Joe and Jim demonstrate, "authenticity" is a many-faceted thing -- a challenge to understand, and more challenging to achieve today, with consumer tuning forks so highly sensitive. Read it. Your smart competitors will.
on January 6, 2008
The book contains a lot of information that is repeated over and over, just by different descriptions. Other then that, the information given was pretty helpful. I work in the residential housing sector, so customers wanting something that is their own is number one for me. I picked up a few tips and ideas from the text that could be applied within my business. Overall, it is a great book for those who are caught in the cookie cutter processes of the time.
on May 27, 2008
The authors, Gilmore and Pine, present an indubitable assertion that being real in today's business world is now a necessity for continued success. The book, Authenticity, is a well-written followup to their previous work, The Experience Economy, also a must read. For those who care about serving others, it is a very understandable basis by which one can consciously formulate and conduct valuable interaction with others.
on November 16, 2015
According to this book, today consumers want authentic experiences in memorable events that engage them in an inherently personal way such as being real, original, genuine, sincere, and deliberately and sensationally staged experiences. I really liked the ideas of authentic experiences in this book.