Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Test forum

Author needs advice: Are there too many siblings in The Test?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2010 8:34:47 PM PDT
In a recent review of The Test, the reviewer said some very nice things about the ingenious plot and so on and so forth, but ...... that there were too many characters to track. The premise is that Paul Parnell, a billionaire inserts a test into his will, requiring his six children to bring their lives up to his new moral value standard in order to inherit. My novels are thrillers so there's a sociopath that works his way into the life of one of the siblings, wanting her share, then wanting it all, and will stop at nothing. Here's the question to those of you who have read The Test, which one (or more) of the Monroe siblings would you eliminate in order to make the book easier for this reviewer?
Dan, the palm tree farmer, with his emotional baggage?
Frank, the U.S. senator, with his political ambitions?
Rory, the step-daughter, with her eight children and grave health problem?
Monica, the illegitimate, secret daughter, a celebrity vocalist?
Ashley, the medical student, with her strong work ethic and innocence?
Carla, the beautiful model, with her drug addiction?
I come from a big family, I have a big family, I love big, messy family dynamics, but maybe I should have downsized this family. Any suggestions as to who should have been left on the cutting room floor?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 9:36:07 PM PST
spoothbrush says:
Honestly, I'd say that anyone who has trouble tracking all of the Parnell heirs probably doesn't read a lot of fiction. They were all made pretty clear from each other -- sometimes too explicitly so. Each of the siblings' subplots does something to clarify the characterization of the others; cutting out, say, Carla would have made it harder to recognize Frank or Rory.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:13:02 AM PST
Thanks for the feedback. Although a priveleged family, the Parnells are complicated and troubled.
I keep wondering if Frank will ever run for President.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Test forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 17, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Test
The Test by Patricia Gussin (Paperback - October 5, 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars (132)