Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Coolidge forum

Author's Message for COOLIDGE

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2013 12:48:09 PM PST
amityshlaes says:
Dear Reader,
Thank you for your interest in "Coolidge." In its way, "Coolidge" is prequel to "The Forgotten Man," for Coolidge was the Forgotten President. Our heroes tend to be military. But Coolidge was that rare thing, an economic hero. His campaign, waged as seriously as a war, was against government. He even had a general for his general, General Herbert Mayhew Lord, who ran his budget office. Together, they achieved something remarkable: they lowered the budget. Indeed, when Coolidge left office, in 1929, the budget was lower that when he came in, after Warren Harding died, in 1923. To lower a budget in peacetime is hard to do.
Thank you for looking at "Coolidge," and thinking about it, and him. I call him the Great Refrainer. Coolidge taught that a president can lead by not doing. Amity Shlaes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 7:04:41 PM PST
Economist says:
I enjoyed listening to the audio book version of "The Forgotten Man" on one of my long vacation drives. I hope you have an audio release of this one soon.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 7:05:35 PM PST
amityshlaes says:
Thank you very much! Yes, the reader is Terence Aselford.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:24:55 PM PST
A number of us have been waiting for this book. We wondered about the delay and maybe it was to include recent history. I am anticipating it with relish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 8:36:19 PM PST
amityshlaes says:
One of the big questions about Coolidge is why he chose not to run again in 1928. The party really needed him. His own experiment in small govt needed him -- Coolidge didn't entirely trust his likely successor, Herbert Hoover, to honor his own commitments to keep government small. The usual answer as to why CC chose not to run was that he was tired, and there is plenty of evidence his health was weakening. Still, the evidence suggests humility was the driving force.
Interestingly, Coolidge made this decision not to run in the Black Hills, around when Gutzon Borglum was commencing to sculpt the presidents at Mount Rushmore. My impression was that Borglum's "larger than life" conception of presidents grossed Coolidge out.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 7:22:21 AM PST
Little Jay says:
Ms. Shlaes,

There was an ancedote I heard in high school regarding Coolidge's behavior while in the White House. My history teacher said that as president, he would ring a bell that would summon security to the front of the White House and then take off-hence playing ding dong ditch. Also, according to her, he once went fishing and accidentally jerked his fishing pole where the hook cut into a finger of a secret service agent and he refused to return to shore beecause he enjoyed the fishing. Is there any truth to these stories?

P.S. I have been looking forward to reading this book for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 8:15:11 AM PST
amityshlaes says:
Dear Little Jay,
There are stories of President Coolidge being abrupt and rough, and we can see from some video he teased his dogs more than some of us would consider appropriate today. However, it's important to remember that the White House is a gossip mill, and that as presidents go, Coolidge was kind, and rarely forgot anyone, including animals. Especially not his wife Grace.....Thank you. Hope to find out more, and share.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 10:50:15 AM PST
He was also very depressed about the death of his son, which had taken all the fun from his life. It is our loss that he did not run again. Ironically, he worried about the stock market but considered it to be the purview of the governor of New York, Franklin Roosevelt.

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 6:26:51 PM PDT
Dear Ms. Shaes,
A post above indicates interest in the audio version of this book, which is a phenomenal idea. Have you also considered taking the material of this book to a wider audience by partnering with a well known film maker and turning it into a documentary. I'm thinking something similar to Dinesh D'Souza's '2016' and his new film America, scheduled to debut in 2014. The name Gerald R. Molen comes to mind:).
I think Dinesh says it right that this is time for all to come together and "rediscover the principles that made America great".

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 6:43:02 PM PDT
amityshlaes says:
Thank you for your kind note! Yes, we have a producer, it is Michael Pack and Manifold Productions.

http://manifoldproductions.com/

Posted on Jun 1, 2013 7:47:40 PM PDT
My family and I await its debut!-I'm certain your readership throughout the 50 states will be made aware of plans for its debut, that much interest will be generated in what will certainly be entertainment of the highest quality, and yet an extension of erudite scholarship.
Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Coolidge forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Coolidge
Coolidge by Amity Shlaes (Hardcover - February 12, 2013)
4.2 out of 5 stars (457)