Customer Discussions > Whitney, My Love forum

Authors similar to Judith McNaught...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2008 12:14:31 PM PDT
G. Brown says:
Hi. I've enjoyed books by both Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood. Are there any other authors you would recommend who write similar type books? i.e. historical romances that aren't completely absurd, silly and/or have Fabio on the cover.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 6:47:04 PM PDT
I found a list online with suggestions such as Jude Deveraux, Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Cathrine's Coulter; Johanna Lindsey, and Elizabeth Lowell.
I have read a few of their books, but nothing is as good as Judith and Julie. I use to love old Katherine Woodeiss but since I found these two its hard to go back....just wish they could write faster and get us more novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 5:13:56 PM PDT
Bea Shalla says:
I love Judith McNaught books, I also like Jude Deveraux and her historical romance novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 8:30:48 AM PDT
S. MICELI says:
Nobody but nobody can top old Judith, Jude AND Julie Garwood books.........

It's sad that their more recent books do not compare.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 11:32:00 PM PST
Sophie says:
Hmmm...good question, but hard to answer! I totally agree with the other posts, many arthurs just does not compare to these wonderful ladies! But I have read good books from the likes of Susan Wiggs, Amanda Quick and Madeline Hunter...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 11:59:08 AM PDT
Es Em says:
Try "wicked Angel" by Julia London - that is the closest you will get to stories like Judith Mcnaught

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 1:10:53 AM PDT
S. Kobayashi says:
I totally love Judith McNaught and the following authors/novels are almost as good...Try Susan Wiggs "The Charm School", Kathleen Woodiwiss "Shanna" "The Flame and the Flower" "Petals on the River" "The Elusive Flame" "The Reluctant Suitor" "So Worthy My Love", Lisa Kleypas (All her books, they're great especially Dreaming of You), Susan Elizabeth Phillips "Nobody's baby but mine" "Natural Born Charmer" "This Heart of Mine" "Kiss an Angel" "Fancy Pants."

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 8:36:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2009 8:42:27 PM PDT
Annabelle says:
I also love Judith McNaught's book, the "misundestanding & twist" is great. Compare to Julie, I love Judith far more... Well other author which is a keeper for me is Sabrina Jeffries (some of her book are wonderful) - Beware of scot's revenge - and Gaelen Foley, her writting also wonderful..I've read Lord of Ice...such a wonderful & romantic story...

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 5:30:58 PM PDT
LnD says:
try A Knight in Shining Armor by jude deveraux, it's one of my favorites.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:39:27 AM PDT
Try "Pillars of the Earth" and "World w/o End" by Ken Follett

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:40:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 6:47:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:41:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 6:47:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:45:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 6:47:37 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:47:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 6:48:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 9:08:24 PM PDT
I think that Mary Balough is a very talented writer, but Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood are great. They need to write more historical. Whitney, my Love is probably the best modern historical romance written.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 5:02:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2010 5:06:25 PM PST
Stacia224 says:
I totally agree with you Es Em! I loved "Wicked Angel" by Julia London. Very good story and writing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 3:03:34 PM PST
L. Fleming says:
Yes, I enjoyed "Whitney, My Love", but nothing can top "A Kingdom of Dreams" by Judith. Oh, that Royce Westmoreland!

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 8:52:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2011 10:12:26 AM PST
I agree that Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, and Johanna Lindsey top the charts. On that note of a really talented writer, I also count Constance O'banyon in that same regard. I love her old works La flamme, moontide embrace, forever my love, song of a nightingale, once upon a time, enchantress, september moon, the agreement and ect. Granted I'm not impressed with her recent works but likewise, I'm not really impressed with all of the other writer's recent works. They seemed to have lost a lot of edge. I also like the old works of shannon drake's bride of the wind, knight of fire, princess of fire, the king's pleasure, and blue heaven black knight. Meagan Mckinney's Lions and Lace ain't too shabby either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 7:53:22 PM PST
I suggest Jude Deveraux, I have read both her and Judith McNaughts

Books and was satisfied with them all

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 2:53:17 AM PST
Kresley cole they r all paranormal but oh so worth it. She is the modern of all t.he above mentioned.
Other than that there isnt much choice becos these new authors try soo hard to b politically correct that it no longer becomes an entertaining romance novel, with betrayal, grovelling, forgivenesss & love. Wish readers would stop demanding these books to b more than titilating sexual fantasy, as it becomes similiar to our boring drab reality.

Posted on May 29, 2012 7:54:07 AM PDT
Mary Balogh's books are older (don't think she is writing anymore), but her insights into human nature are right on. I must have 20 of them, reread many times. "The Spiral Path," a contemporary, is sheer magic. Doesn't anyone read Catherine Coulter's regency romances any more? The Sherbrooke series is especially great. I do like J. McNaught, but thought the 700 pages of "Whitney" could have been 400. I got weary of the H's agonizing. Currently I enjoy Eloisa James. She is hilarious! Her H/h's are real and engaging, the dialog witty and delightful. I find many of Jo Goodman's books too long and tedious, though others are excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2014 7:08:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2014 7:09:48 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Whitney, My Love forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Jun 24, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Whitney My Love
Whitney My Love by Judith McNaught (Paperback - Mar. 1987)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (540)