Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on November 5, 2012
This will be a somewhat limited review until I have the unit mounted outside. As with almost all of these style of cameras it seems that the people in China who assemble these can not get the focus right to save their lives. The picture was blurry out of the box, enough to make it unusable IMO. Being a tech head I had no qualms about taking the unit apart to get at the camera. Like the D2 it has set screws that hold the camera lens in place but there was considerable disassembly required to get at them due to the position of the screws. I removed the retaining ring, the dome, and the black shield under that. I then has to dismount the camera and it's associated PCB, including pulling the leads/plugs for the IR LED power, in order to get at the two set screws. After much fiddling I got the focus to where I wanted it and put the unit back together. It works much like the other IP PTZ cams out there, I have three of the indoor ball style which, seem to be generic these days, and the interface, while slightly updated from the older cameras, is obviously from the same source. The camera is much the same as any other of these low end IP cameras. Another annoyance is the power supply. For what ever reason the plugs are aligned horizontally instead of vertically, which makes it impossible to put in any standard, covered, outdoor sockets so I'll likely mount it, and the other cables, inside a locked junction box in any case as I don't the power to be easily disconnected.

Pros: It is a lot more sturdy than I expected. The housing a cast metal and quite solid.

Cons: Getting the focus right required considerable disassembly of the unit, power supply is poorly designed.

Meh: You get what you pay for. The resolution if not great but it does the job I needed it for and I'll likely get another - The price is hard to beat.
on December 5, 2015
This camera is great! I fixed it up outside in the back yard of a vacation home. It's under a veranda to protect it form weather. I have never lost its connection even after the internal wi-fi router was swapped out.

Its PTZ function is very nice. Night vision is a big blurry, and there's no focus, but it does zoom in. I've used a freebie app on my mobile devices to see what's happening just outside my vacation home's back door, from across the other side of the continent. I haven't activated the motion detector, but it does have one

Nice solid device, keeps on working which is everything I can for.
on December 8, 2012
Someone in China needs glasses... This camera was completely out of focus with no way to correct.
When the camera did work there was a grinding noise then it stoped working all together...

This was the second one I ordered because the first one was out of focus too!

Where is the quality control????
on March 2, 2013
I received this camera promptly, but it came with the lens loose in the housing. I was able to unscrew the dome, re-install the lens, and tighten the screw that holds in on. The directions and software that came with the camera were better than average for a imported product. The IpCamClient software that comes with the camera is good, but make sure you download a later version at the Loftek website, as the version on the disk is glitchy. This is my second IP camera so I was able to get it installed more easily than the first. If you don't have network experience you may have to have a techy friend help you with the install. The IP camera tool is useful for finding the IP address, but make sure you have the DHCP server enabled first. My other camera is a Hootoo with identical features and housing. The only difference appears to be in the lens itself and a lower price. The picture from this camera is not as clear or colorful as from the Hootoo. Neither camera has enough ir leds to allow operation in total darkness and only illuminate an area in a 20ft circle around the camera. With minimal lights left on, the camera renders a decent b/w picture. I use it in a calving barn and it is adequate for seeing the cows in a 40X80 ft building using two cameras. I will keep this camera, but will try to find a better one for use outside my building.
on January 18, 2013
This camera is worth the money. Even with the cons below I may still buy buy a second one. it is a good way to have a controllable camera outdoors.

Pros:Good night vision, clear pictures, easy to setup.
Cons: The power supply is poor, the computer software, you need a long extension cord, totally open back needs cover.

I needed run the camera 75 feet to the roof top. I spliced 18g stranded wire. The 1/2 volt drop would not allow the camera to work. Thus long extension cord. The back is open so there is no protection from the elements or pest if mounted as is shown in the picture mounted on a pole.
on January 21, 2013
Worked fine --- indoors--- completely washed out in daylight. Viewing is Night vision or very cloudy day only and yes, I had the brightness level as low as it would go. Angle of vision has a limited 'up' angle that is below the horizon. With unit mounted at 8 feet above ground, in standard drop down, plum, square and level. It prevented viewing anything but the ground, at over 40 feet away . Software is difficult to use and requires constant attention after you get it installed. Experience in wireless network setup is necessary. Five steps to turn on camera. I could not add other IP cameras of another brand to system but I could add this camera to the other brands software but without PTZ controls. My level of expertise in computer systems is probably well above average. I can assemble, configure, and troubleshoot most PC computers and networks.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2012
I ordered this product because of the pan, tilt and zoom lens. I own an Agasio A622W camera which is almost identical minus the zoom function. Also, Loftec was $10 cheaper. Camera worked as advertised for about a week. Then it died.
Picture quality: Average. Image was not clear and there is no way to focus. Zoom magnifies the poor image.
Night vision: IR LED's reflect off the inside of the dome and distort image. There were noticeable pixel issues when in night mode. Random color pixels throughout field of view.
Ease of Use: Setup was the same as Agasio camera. I was able to use Agasio software to control camera.
Durability: Poor. I mounted the camera under an eave. Camera stopped working after a week.

I will be returning this camera and ordering another Agasio A622W.
on August 30, 2012
My ex-husband ordered the Loftek Sentinel D3 as a gift for me from Amazon. It has nice video quality and the controls are great, but we've been trying and trying to get this to connect to my wireless network. The manual is not much help (find encryption, authentication, SSID and channel, but what do you do with that information?) and I'm sure that if we ever do figure out what we're doing wrong, we will also get stuck on setting alarms and using remote access. I sent Loftek support an e-mail over 3 weeks ago asking for help and haven't heard squat from them. There's a video on You-Tube that says to disconnect the power, the cord to the router, reconnect the power and scan. No luck there. I'm not really in the mood for drilling a hole through an exterior wall to accommodate the cord. Why doesn't this thing work????

Update (with a big bump in the number of stars): We returned the camera, got a second one, but the same thing seemed to happen. Dave dug out the instructions for installing the cameras at his house, which are not Loftek, and discovered that once you have scanned (not scaned!) and entered the security key for your network, close the internet window and close the IP Camera window. Then restart. Do not scan again as the instructions indicate because the last segment of the IP will change and then the camera can't find the network. Now I am working on the alarm/e-mail notification function, but am not ready to throw in the towel and ask Loftek to help. Love the video quality and have now set the 4 pre-set locations for quick viewing. Soon will test low temperature operations, because this is Minnesota.
55 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
Just installed the camera today. The camera works OK but the software has a lot of issues. In Firefox and Chrome it continually asks for a user and password. Once you figure out that you can cancel out of the endless loop it will give you some working buttons.
The pre-set positions are nice to have but the Set and GO buttons are right next to each other and it is too easy (way too easy) to set a preset to the wrong place. Also anyone can set them so the admin has no control over that aspect.
I found the picture to be a bit out of focus. The manual is written in "almost english".

If the software gets updated it may be a great product. As is I'd say not quite ready.
on March 13, 2013
Received the unit today. Plugged it in according to manual and nothing happened.
Checked wall wart and it is putting out 5 volts.
No indication on network switch indication connection to switch.