5.0 out of 5 stars See it in action!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 8:51 Mins
I do own Photoshop CS6 and Painter 12--but this is the software I prefer to sketch in. Why? Because for me it provides the closest sensation to sketching with traditional pencil and paper.

Published 22 months ago by V. Hutson

3.0 out of 5 stars sketch and paint like a boss but not inking!
yeah sketchbook pro has the most simplified user interface up to date! if you have a tablet with a programmable keypad you'll ditch any other software in favor of this one! no other software that offeres the Move/Scale/Rotate within the press of the spacebar (or a seperate programmable keypad) which will significantly boost the process speed.

that said! you'll...
Published 21 months ago by Reem Banafea

5.0 out of 5 stars See it in action!, October 28, 2012
Length:: 8:51 Mins

The pencil tool creates lines that are almost identical to the lines you would get with a regular pencil. If you have a pressure sensitive laptop or monitor (Wacom Cintiq) then the experience is very similar to using a pencil on paper. Download the free trial version and try it out first to see what I mean.

I also really like the simplicity of the interface. The workspace is not filled up with menu bars and palettes. This is really important if you are working on a small monitor or a pressure sensitive laptop with a small screen. Having written that, each new version of Sketchbook Pro does add more and more available palettes and windows, but it is still very easy to keep most of the palettes closed and still have access to the various tools.

Here are some of the great NEW features in Sketchbook Pro 6. Check out the video to see these in action.

1. Additional Brush Libraries! My current favorite is the new "Synthetic Round Brush 2." These brushes are similar to the natural brush feel of many of the brushes in Painter 12.

2. Copic Color Palettes. Makes selecting colors and incorporating slight variations so easy!

3. Brush size can now be controlled with the right and left square bracket keys (the same keyboard shortcut as Photoshop).

4. Layer Blending Modes (normal, multiply, screen, and add)

5. New Color Puck (similar to Painter)

My usual workflow is to start out a sketch in Sketchbook Pro and then I bring it into Photoshop or Painter to finish. However, with the new features in Sketchbook Pro 6 I believe I will be doing more work in this program. It's also just more fun to use!

Bottom line: When it comes to pure sketching---this software is my first choice. Combined with a pressure sensitive laptop or monitor--it doesn't get any more natural feeling than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option for drawing/painting, October 25, 2012
J. FELLA (Albany, Or United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been doing digital art for six or seven years now and have used a handful of good programs. I currently have Photoshop, Corel Painter, Manga Studio and GIMP (which is open-source), and have also used Photoshop Elements. So, I think I can give a good, objective review of this software.

First off, this has a rather charming and unique interface that focuses a lot on radial menus, which is kind of a nice change of pace. This makes the interface and screen less cluttered, but everything you need is easy and quick to access. It has a good, solid set of basic tools: pencils, pens, airbrushes, etc. with the addition of a couple of brushes to add texture (charcoal, cammo) which are very useful. Now keep in mind, basic tools can get you all the way to (over very close to) photo-realism if you're skilled and patient enough. After all, look at what artists can do in real life with just a pencil, eraser, and paper. Just looking at some of the work people have done with this program will show you it's capable of some impressive results. But as is often the case, it isn't as much about the software as it is about the artist who uses it. You still have to have skill =)

I won't compare this to Photoshop or similar programs, because those are somewhat different programs. But you could compare this to Corel Painter (obviously this would be a scaled-down version) as well as to the Paint.Net program and Mypaint 1.0 (both free). And I have to mention the open-source software GIMP, here, as well. The price of Sketchbook Pro is certainly fair, but I must mention there are other drawing/painting programs out there which are free. GIMP, for example has fairly equivalent drawing/painting tools but also the photo-editing/filter capabilities that Sketchbook doesn't have. Mypaint and Paint.Net are both specifically geared towards painting as well, have excellent tools and a very easy interface. However I haven't used either of them, myself. But this program is specifically geared toward digital drawing/painting, and is incredibly intuitive and great for that purpose. I especially like the symmetry tool and poly-line tools. They make drawing houses/buildings SO much faster. With the poly-line tool you don't have to create individual lines as you create a building. You do click at each point you want another line to start, but you don't have to stop, you just keep clicking and creating a new path, then when it's all done, it strokes in the lines for you. So you can be sure that each line will be properly connected to one another. Very helpful. And want to quickly change the size or opacity of your brush? It's extremely fast; much more so than Photoshop, which can be a little annoying in that respect.

But sometimes it all comes down to which program do you LIKE better. And this is where many might really gravitate to Sketchbook Pro. As I said, the interface is very nice and some people may love it even if they have access to cheaper programs with more options. Certainly check this program out. I plan on using it right alongside the other ones I use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, October 24, 2012
Brad Teare (Providence, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great program and quite an upgrade from an earlier version I tried a year ago. The part I like best is it has a very robust set of sketching tools. But additionally there are some new paint brushes and pen tools that are fantastic. I started sketching and was having so much fun adding value and color that before I knew it I had a fully rendered painting. It was pretty awesome!

I normally use Corel Painter 12 and there are some similarities between the two programs. Sketchbook Pro has the textures embedded into the brushes like Photoshop. Whereas painter has a paper and texture palette you can dial up or down. I feel fairly confident that I'll get used to this new mode. Photoshop users should have no problems making the transition. Another thing I found lacking was the layers functions. There are only four; add, overlay, multiply, and screen. Painter has about 22 or so and Photoshop has almost as many. There are some functions like darken and colorize that I miss. I love Photoshop's vivid light function. Oh well, maybe in future versions they will include more.

I also really love how logical all the menus and toolbars are. I'm currently using a Wacom Cintiq 12WX with a MacBook Pro so real estate is pretty scarse. But drawing seems pretty comfortable due to the very compact navigation tools and menus. A few tools acted a bit quirky for those of us who use other programs, such as the lasso tool. When you're tracing a shape the two ends are always connected by a straight line which for me will take some getting used to. I like all of the color selection tools, there's a lot of variety to them, and the Copic library looks very promising (it is a series of preset libraries that have hue and value transitions). Most of the commands are identical to Photoshop so its nice I don't have to learn a bunch of new commands.

All of the painting and drawing tools seem to operate as advertised (unlike in Photohop with the blur, dodge and burn tools, among others). Although there are so many brushes I haven't had time to check out everything. Some of my favorites are some really great smudge tools and pencil tools that actually act like pencils behave in the natural world. Non-true-to-life pencils have been one of my gripes with Painter and Photoshop. The brushes seem very customizable as well. The French curve tool is equally awesome. When you hit a button in the tool box a virtual, semi-transparent French curve pops up. Your line is forced along its edges as you draw. The curve is completely customizable so you can get the exact curve you need. Very cool!

Other things that Painter and Photoshop have that this program doesn't are adjustment layers like levels, curves, and hue/saturation. Plus it doesn't have a channels menu so you can't save your selections.

There are some navigational tools called pucks I found very useful. There is one for brushes and colors plus one that is very similar for enlarging, rotating, and moving the image within the screen.

So while this program doesn't have everything (some features like hue/saturation I miss) if used in conjunction with Corel painter or Photoshop this is a monster sketching and painting tool. Many people will be able to use this as a stand alone program. I'm probably a bit spoiled but I have no doubt that for the money this is probably one of the best packages you can buy. Another big plus is that most people will be able to jump right in and start drawing/painting (Corel Painter's learning curve is pretty steep and I've yet to master painting in Photoshop). This program is very intuitive. Overall I was pretty amazed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner for the casual and not so casual artist., October 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I owned a previous version of this program (Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2011) so I was excited to see what changes had been made.

DESCRIPTION OF SKETCHBOOK PRO 6:
I really appreciate this program. I also use Photoshop and the free Gimp program, but this program is really geared to the person who wants to create art from scratch more quickly with a program that is a little more light and agile. I use my Photoshop for photo editing and tweaking already completed art.

My almost 9 year old son uses it to do his own art on and he is able to navigate it competently without much instruction from me so that should tell you how easy it is to use. The controls are pretty intuitive and won't take long to master.

You will definitely need to get a pen/tablet style mouse for this to make the most of the program.

QUICK COMPARISON BETWEEN OLD AND NEW VERSIONS:
The feel is the same, the toolbars look the same - so it wasn't a totally new redesign but they did add some new brushes and features, and they added enhanced design and illustrator color palates in addition to the standard palate they offered in the prior version.

Do the enhancements warrant buying a new version? I think that is probably more a personal choice. If you are the type of person who always wants the latest and greatest - then sure. But if you only want to spend the money if there were a lot of changes then I'd hold off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro 6: The Bells and Whistles, October 13, 2012
This review is from: SketchBook Pro 6 (CD-ROM)
I had just purchased this software via the Autodesk website by upgrading my Sketchbook Pro 5 for 30 dollars. I use the software to draw and ink comics and for everything that involves (if you're interested in comics, I highly suggest The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics).
I will say that this software is pretty much the same, unless you use Sketchbook a lot. It has really nifty new features that make sketching sharper and painting easier. There is:

1. A new brush Palette: this palette isn't overtly different from the old palette BUT with the addition of the Synthetic Paintbrush Palette which is REALLY COOL!These brushes are really cool for blending and some textures.
2. Color Puck:In addition to the size puck on the old Sketchbook, the new Sketchbook has an extra puck for quick access to colors. It is also very easy to change color saturation and you don't have to open up the larger color window or the copic window every time.
3. French Curves: French curves are now available in addition to the general sketch tools.
4. Smudge Brushes: These brushes are really cool too and will give you some pretty neat blending effects.
5. Steady Stroke: This is also a very cool new feature, it really just eliminates the jitter of the normal stroke and makes vectors along where you draw.

It's hard to explain different visual effects these new features are cool for without actually seeing it, the new stuff is really well summarized in the videos on the sketchbook website:[...]

All in All, I think this is totally worth the money (New or Upgrade) but the extra tools may not be used by newer users of sketchbook or may even see overwhelming. The New Synthetic brush palette alone had me sold, but the other features are nifty too. I highly suggest looking at the video, and if you buy it be sure to watch some guides to show you how to use it efficiently. Knowing your interphase and making it intuitive is really key to being able to produce really good sketchbook results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for Sketching!, October 10, 2012
This review is from: SketchBook Pro 6 (CD-ROM)
While I read a couple reviews and would have to agree that this product is not comparable to photoshop. However this thing is awesome for drawing and sketching around. The layout is nice and simple and gives you a nice large drawing space. I have 26" monitor and the icons sit nicely on the outside of the screen. You can drag around the icons also to have them easily placed which is best for your personal preference. Example. I like my little paint canisters at the bottom left similar to when I am really painting. It takes a little bit to get used to and this si the firt time I have used any "art" software. I also just got a cheap tablet to accompany this and it works perfectly. It really does make a difference having the right tools. It has some cool new features than the last model such as french curves and realistic brush strokes. I watched tons of youtube videos on this product and the last product before I finally made my purchase. For casual use then I would give this product five stars because it meets all of my needs and excedes my expectations alot! Also, you can download a free demo on autodesk.com if you want to try it out or kinda see how everything looks before you make your final puchase decision. If you are looking for a great afforadable software to explore your digital creativity then I would get the SketchBook Pro 6.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple tool with an adequate amount of features., October 9, 2012
This review is from: SketchBook Pro 6 (CD-ROM)
Sketchbook Pro 6 is a great tool for people who are like casual digital drawing. It is a good tool for those who do this seriously. It is an adequate tool for those who do it semi-professionally. A professional wouldn't use this except as a "fun drawing tool."

It says that it can create professional illustrations and that's true. For all intents and purposes it is a paint-only program that is paired to the tablet/stylus crowd. If you could imagine having a canvas or paper in front of you and then just about any tool you wanted and color of paint/oils/chalk - that's what this is.

Note that I left out any sort of filters. This is NOT a graphic design program or a photo editing/manipulation program. This is ONLY a drawing program.

You can smudge and use tools as you would in "real life", but none of the higher-end functions that you might be expecting.

This is a decent price for the software, but if you go directly to their website, you can download a free trial and see if this is what you're looking for and then come back here and buy it.

A replacement for Photoshop this is not.

Edit: I changed this to a 4-star review because for a drawing-only program it's a 5 star program. For a graphic program which is how it masquerades as, it's a 3 star program - combine that and it's a 4 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start drawing right out of the box, October 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
SketchBook Pro.6 has gotten even better. I've been using drawing programs for years meant mostly for detail drawings, architecture, engineering, etc. This is a sketching program meant for the kind of thing you'd do in a sketchbook: napkin sketches, ideations, renderings, and just doodling. It is quick and easy, or very detailed. I tried a little of both starting out with some scratching around, then adding color, and finally layers. There are some features that still need refining, or I haven't yet discovered.
I used my Wacom Intuious pad for a while, but with two screens it is worthless anyway.
Drawing with a mouse isn't as easy, especially since this isn't technical material, so a good drawing pad or tablet computer would be a good addition.
The pucks (at least that's what we called 'em in the day) are nice and handy. Menu's aren't difficult to locate and the hot keys are easy for faster editing.
The more portable this becomes, the better. But for now I'm really having a good time with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better now., October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you've used the prior versions of Sketchbook Pro then you really already know what this program is about. They have added some new synthetic brushes as well as new smudge brushes. The layer window has been re-worked with a new cleaner more user friendly interface. So too, the brush palette has been re-worked - you can have it showing as little as 10 brushes and then scroll through the rest. There is now a french curves tool that works much the same way the Ellipse and ruler tools work. There is also a new steady stroke tool that offers you greater control over your lines. Double clicking on the new color puck brings up a full color palette (good if you don't want to waste screen space on the usual color palette) and then once you've chosen your color you can use the puck to edit the color, up or down to go darker or lighter - left or right to tweak the saturation value.

If you're not familiar with Sketchbook Pro, well it's basically what it name says -- a digital Sketchbook. Various pencils, pens, and paintbrushes, including a Copic marker set (complete with a separate color library of Copic colors). Like any good digital art program this "sketchbook" does what a paper sketchbook does not do, it gives you layers to work with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jump Right In, December 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have worked with Photoshop for years but I wanted to try a sketching program. A long time ago I used Fractal Design's Sketcher and Painter, which were later bought out by Corel. I miss those programs, and I've been away from drawing for some time and I'm not ready to commit to Painter.

First, the installation went without a hitch and I haven't had any problems running the software. I do have a Wacom tablet, but so far my rusty drawing skills haven't produced any *art* as I'm just getting used to playing with SketchBook. I do find the pucks a bit confusing, and zooming in and out I went for my control key plus the scroll wheel on my mouse and my drawing disappeared. It wasn't lost, just somewhere out in the margin. I had to read through the help file to figure out how to control the zoom, and it's still awkward. But now I've just figured holding the space key and left mouse button, then dragging, lets me zoom in and out.

The brush palette is neat and doesn't take up tremendous screen real estate, and with a second monitor you can drag the palettes over to the secondary monitor, too. The "lagoon" takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a neat way of adding menus without cluttering the top of the screen.

I really like the Copic color library, and especially that it shows complementary colors. The symmetry tool is fun to play with. I was able to open JPG files and Photoshop PSD files for editing, since SketchBook supports layers. I think my discomfort with the program is just from being a n00b and not any problem with the software itself. It seems so like other programs, but some of the tools don't work the way I think they will, and I find myself having to look everything up. I just need time to get comfortable with it.

I marked the product down one star because I think there could be better help files or even a tutorial. Yes, playing with the software is the real way to learn it, but fumbling about trying to figure out how to zoom was frustrating, especially since I'd thought I'd lost my art. You can adjust the sensitivity of the stylus and there's a steady stroke option for drawing curves, but I didn't see much difference for what I was drawing. I tried the email option, but it brought up Outlook on my computer, which I've disabled. Oh well. But you can send art as attachments from the program.

SketchBook Pro 6
SketchBook Pro 6 by Autodesk PSG (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$59.00 $25.90