Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 17, 2012
I have one complaint about sketchbook (any version) and it's that its maximum amount of layers is only 6. As someone who likes many, many layers in all of my art programs (like photoshop & corel), I feel almost restricted by autodesk sketchbook apps. I know it's unfair to compare mobile apps to pc ones, but how can you not?

Even after all I've griped about, I still think this app is worth every cent I paid for it. The difference between this version and the mobile version is leaps and bounds. You have more brush options, more technical options (scaling, alignment & shape guides), to having a fail safe option of saving your work before starting anew. I don't necessarily want to be treated like a child with "are you sure you don't want to save first?"... but after having the mobile version where that option didn't exist, I no longer mind being childish.

I like the layout of this version better as well because it doesn't start up with the radial options. Buttons/options are more available and concise. Much of the guess work out of what a button's functions were has been removed or cosolidated in a logical way... All around the pro version is just more synergistic and easier to use.

Finally, if you have a stylus or stylus/paintbrush you'll be in for a treat. It might just be me, but this version seems more intuitive to my brush strokes. Again, definitely worth buying this app for that reason and every other I just mentioned.

-------------
**EDIT**
-------------
The problem I was having with the 6 layer maximum has since been blown out of the water after the latest updates. Now I can use Sketchbook Pro on my Galaxy Note 2, and the layer problem goes away. The 6 layer maximum issue was (thankfully) device specific to my Kindle Fire HD 7". On my GN2, I've never run out of layers! BEST DRAWING APP EVER!!!

Edit 7/29/13: Latest update has added more brushes, symbols and textures. If you've ever used Autodesk's 3D texturing program Mudbox, you'll recognize familiar (IMO) textures the base program provides (versus textures you make yourself). If only this program could import/export .obj, and you could turn their textures into opacity maps!? That would be an extension I'd pay extra for... AND with the ease of Autodesk (over Maya and/or Zbrush U.I.)? Heaven!
22 comments243 of 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2012
I have sketchbook mobile...love the app, but Pro is so much better. Navigation, paint brushes and interface is so much fluid when trying to get things done....this apps is a professional/ beginners artistic dream....Come on autodesk make 3d max into an app for kindle fire hd.
0Comment105 of 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2013
One of the main reasons I got a Kindle Fire was yo start drawing again. I purchased this app and fell in love with it. It's incredibly intuitive, easy to us and has a massive array of features. I'm a beginner with tablet and digital art and have already created some amazing drawings. Would love to see what a skilled artist could create.
11 comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
I really do love this product. It's simple, clean, fast, and makes drawing easy and intuitive. I do wish the layer cap would be removed, and I also wish that it would give us more in terms of layer blending effects and brushes ( blur, smudge, burn, etc ), but it is absolutely a purchase I am happy to have made--and I got it for less than half off, too!

I would definitely recommend this application to anyone who loves to draw, it's one of the best drawing and sketching apps out there. I've tried the others, and they just don't compare.
on January 12, 2013
So here is my 3rd ever review. Most apps I get I uninstall pretty much immediately after I use it. So for me to even take the time to do this should alone say something.

Ok, I'm not good at drawing and in no way can I make a cool pic. Like the app shows you can BUT, I do see it being possible. I'm new to the art world and just fooling around with this app is fun. I know nothing about layers as some other reviews talk about but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. I had the app on my phone and liked it so I put the pro version on my kindle fire HD. This app is amazing. I feel like I need lessons because of the options your given. You can make any color,sharp,design and on an on. I have played with this app for a few hrs now and in my opinion 5$ for 2 or 3 hrs of entertainment so far is cheaper than anything else I pay for to have fun. All in all its worth it even if ur like me and SUCK at drawing.

Mr.banger5150
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I love this app to death, but there are many, many things wrong with it. Also a heck-load of bonuses!

Pros:

-More paint options. There are now 6 pages of paint tools instead of 3! But one of the pages is is a little lame. The brushes are grass and flowers and bark.

- I like the new menu. It's a whole lot more accessible than Sketchbook Mobile, and it just looks nicer. You can keep brush options visible while drawing, so that's really cool.

-AWWW YEAH! A RULER! Straight lines AND eclipses!

-This is my absolute FAVORITE upgrade: you can flip your drawings every which way!! Very useful when drawing humanoids, because if you flip it upside-down and backwards, you can see what's wrong with the drawing.

-The new layer bar is very nice. Now you can just add a layer instead of it asking if you're sure you want a layer or whatever. A lot faster.

- You don't have to switch back and forth between the color options and the brush options.

Cons:

-No smudge tool. I mean, SERIOUSLY?! NO SMUDGE TOOL?! iPad got it, why can't Android users too! Painting and shading is now such a pain without a smudge tool.

-It's locked in landscape mode. Ugh. I never even USE landscape mode. Sure, you can tilt your device sideways, but then you have to tilt it back again to change your brush or whatever.

-It seems a little slow to register that I actually put my stylus on the screen and started drawing. Very slow reaction time, unlike PicArt, which is REALLY fast. Sketchbook should take a hint from them.

-Six layers? Come on! I normally use 8 or 9.

-Only 6 fonts, and all stink. I have to upload my drawing into PicMonkey to get a decent font! I don't mind entirely, but it takes FOREVER!

- No horizontal symmetry line. That doesn't bother me too much, but it might bug some other people.

-It might just be me or my kindle fire, but whenever I click on the brushes, the app fails. Super annoying.

-There aren't as many options for editing your brush.

All in all, it's a wonderful app with not that many cons, but I think the cons outweigh the pros. HELLO?! NO SMUDGE TOOL?! What's with that? But if you really still want this app, go buy an iPad and get Sketchbook Pro on there, seriously.
11 comment31 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
Lack of pressure sensitive input severly limits your ability to make detailed drawings with accurate shading and highlights. It is a feature that I assumed would have been included on a Sketchbook product particularly a "pro" version. Not really sure what having the pen mode enabled does as I found no difference with or without it checked. *Update* I boosted my rating up to 5 stars after finally discovering how to set the min and max opacity levels necessary to provide pressure sensitivity. This program is now top notch, but definitely needs a user guide even if only through the website as nothing on the tutorials covered how to change the settings to take advantage of devices with pressure sensitive pen technology.
on February 27, 2013
I can't believe how well this product works especially for the money. Every artist should own it. A GREAT Toolbox for artists
on April 12, 2014
Read the agreement before you access, it's the most absurd give or sign away I've ever read. Yes they have your money by then, but better take the loss then give permission to do what they want not just with your work but with all personal information they can gather. The user agreement talks about joining networks ( I don't mean asking you), charging fees, third-party information exchange.....on and on.
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
The SketchBook Pro drawing tool is easy to use. I am still becoming totally familiar with all the tools and techniques, however, I have quickly been able to produce a couple "masterpieces".

Very addictive. Looking forward to becoming more familiar and proficient.